Unconfirmed Canon EOS R7 Specifications [CR1]

This rumor doesn't make sense. The specs would put it above, not below the R6. Also a BSI sensor will NO DOUBT bump the cost by $300-$500. For reference, use the price bump of the A7s II and A7s III. All said, you'll have an inconsistency in the naming convention and positioning just as the line get started. No way they plan to break the naming convention, before they even flesh it out.

Then the need for a CF Express seems odd. 4k 60p ALL i might need a CF Express, and I stress might, because being cropped there is a potential that it may not even need it. But lets say it is needed, would you really add a new card format, that is more expensive for the sake of one video mode on a cost sensitive still centric camera? It doesn't make sense. I understand there are other benefits of CF Express, but I don't see Canon doing that after the decisions they made on the R6.

I think a conventional FSI 32MP sensor based on the current 32MP sensor, but modified to get close to or faster than the readout of the R5's sensor is more inline. I think a cropped 4k 60p stat is reasonable, but I don't see it needing a CF Express card, and as such expect one (maybe two) SD slot(s). I can see a 3.7'ish million dot EVF and the R6 LCD. 20 fps electronic shutter seems reasonable with a 10 fps mechanical shutter. Something like this they can package in and around the $1999 price ceiling with room to drop some specs and fit cheaper components and come in a little lower. Effectively what I see is a juiced up 90D or a slightly neutered 7D2. However as the rumor has it spec'ed, I can't see it coming in under $2,500.

CFexpress would be ideal for a crop R mount wildlife camera for the purposes of maintaining an endless buffer. As it is now with the R5, you can shoot 20 fps into the buffer, but with the fastest CFexpress cards you can shoot forever at about 10 fps. SD isn't going to give you that.

Minor point: Canon naming conventions get broken all the time. It's a surprise to me if they keep using one for more than a few years - especially in the crop sensor range. Remember the 77D that came out after the 80D? That was my favorite.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
CFexpress would be ideal for a crop R mount wildlife camera for the purposes of maintaining an endless buffer. As it is now with the R5, you can shoot 20 fps into the buffer, but with the fastest CFexpress cards you can shoot forever at about 10 fps. SD isn't going to give you that.
The 1DXiii have an endless buffer (>1000 shots). The R3 has about 150 shots.

The Digital Picture did some tests on the R5 buffer https://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=34990
The CFe card does provide a long buffer @ 20fps with 7.3 seconds but not forever. At 12fps, it is ~30 seconds
SD card still gives 5.5 seconds @20fps ie 110 shots given the large file sizes.

The R6 with dual raw to SD cards @20fps is 8.3 seconds and 165 shots. At 12fps, the buffer would be considered unlimited with SD cards

The R7 would be somewhere in the middle if the 32mp sensor is accurate.

I don't think that there were buffer tests using cRAW files unfortunately but they are likely to be significantly longer as they are ~ half the size. The other option with the R5 is to take 33mp frame grabs from 8k raw files giving 30fps.

How long a burst do you take?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Minor point: Canon naming conventions get broken all the time. It's a surprise to me if they keep using one for more than a few years - especially in the crop sensor range. Remember the 77D that came out after the 80D? That was my favorite.
Yes, CF Express cards will allow you to clear the buffer out quicker and effectively elongate it, but again for the targeted audience, which is price sensitive, I wouldn't expect to Canon to move in that direction, especially considering the cameras needs. Additionally, I'm really expecting a single card slot to help get the price under the $2,000 mark, and if that is correct its almost guaranteed to be a SD card, IMO.

On the naming convention, yes, it will get broken down the road and always does, but not before its even done with the first gen. That would be terrible planning. However, since the body was never meant to come out in the first place, there is a chance they will break the convention and just move on.

Anyway you look at it, I think expectations for the body might be a little too high. I'm really thinking people should expect a 90D like body, in the $1700 price range with features to match.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Mine was the S100. Both of them.

The 12 MP version from 2011:
D7A26289-1ADA-48E7-9A74-AB64417A8A41.jpeg

…and the 2 MP version from 2000:
14977E50-DA6B-4669-9D2E-301B67B955A7.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Specs round about what I would expect. 32MP would be good. But of course we know sports professionals don't want any more than 20MP.
I wonder what they will do to make it worse than the R3. Will it's focus tracking abilities be worse. If they left out eye focus that would be fine.
I'd guess it will be priced at $2500 - 3000 ie: overpriced.
It will be a nice camera with the 100-500mm Lens
We’ll it’s not gonna be full frame for a start and the low light performance won’t be anywhere near as good.

There’s no way on earth they’d leave out eye AF. This is what the animal eye AF was made for.

Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
32mp suggests that it's using the same sensor thats in the 90d+m6mk2. Would be a bit disappointing to see a 3 year old sensor used in the R7.
As it is still one of the best APS-C sensor ever, I don't see anything disappointing in that fact. Anyway, it would be a good move from Canon to make it BSI indeed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Yes, CF Express cards will allow you to clear the buffer out quicker and effectively elongate it, but again for the targeted audience, which is price sensitive, I wouldn't expect to Canon to move in that direction, especially considering the cameras needs. Additionally, I'm really expecting a single card slot to help get the price under the $2,000 mark, and if that is correct its almost guaranteed to be a SD card, IMO.
My impression is

1. Currently CF Express is considered a premium product. Prices will drop as COVID crisis will pass (I hope it will), the technology matures, and companies build more FABs.

2. SD is a dying technology. E.g. the market skipped UHS-III for CF Express, and seems the smartphone manufacturers are more likely to drop the microSD slot than adopt A2.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Hope the Camera has a updated GPS like the 7D2. I am using the heck out of my R6 and atleast we would get 32mp crop unlike the R6 thats under the 20MP with in 1.6 mode.
Oh yeah. Give me built-in GPS please. Not that I dare expect Canon will include it. They don't seem to believe much in built-in GPS anymore. Want us to use that useless "app solution" instead :-(
(Only 1DxIII and R3 has it in recent bodies).

Upvote 0
My impression is

1. Currently CF Express is considered a premium product. Prices will drop as COVID crisis will pass (I hope it will), the technology matures, and companies build more FABs.

2. SD is a dying technology. E.g. the market skipped UHS-III for CF Express, and seems the smartphone manufacturers are more likely to drop the microSD slot than adopt A2.
CFe Type B are still reasonably close in pricing to fast UHS-II cards but they are of course much faster.
I can't see SD cards dying though. Besides the massive installed base, there isn't much call for faster (>300MB/s) write speeds except for 8k/ 4k/120 video modes so the current speeds are fine for a long time to come

The real question is if SD Express format can compete with CFe in the future where faster write speeds are needed. The slots/cards are only backward compatible with UHS-i speeds. I don't think that SD Express will be commercially viable.

Upvote 0
This rumor doesn't make sense. The specs would put it above, not below the R6. Also a BSI sensor will NO DOUBT bump the cost by $300-$500. For reference, use the price bump of the A7s II and A7s III. All said, you'll have an inconsistency in the naming convention and positioning just as the line get started. No way they plan to break the naming convention, before they even flesh it out.

Then the need for a CF Express seems odd. 4k 60p ALL i might need a CF Express, and I stress might, because being cropped there is a potential that it may not even need it. But lets say it is needed, would you really add a new card format, that is more expensive for the sake of one video mode on a cost sensitive still centric camera? It doesn't make sense. I understand there are other benefits of CF Express, but I don't see Canon doing that after the decisions they made on the R6.

I think a conventional FSI 32MP sensor based on the current 32MP sensor, but modified to get close to or faster than the readout of the R5's sensor is more inline. I think a cropped 4k 60p stat is reasonable, but I don't see it needing a CF Express card, and as such expect one (maybe two) SD slot(s). I can see a 3.7'ish million dot EVF and the R6 LCD. 20 fps electronic shutter seems reasonable with a 10 fps mechanical shutter. Something like this they can package in and around the $1999 price ceiling with room to drop some specs and fit cheaper components and come in a little lower. Effectively what I see is a juiced up 90D or a slightly neutered 7D2. However as the rumor has it spec'ed, I can't see it coming in under $2,500.
The 7dm2 was above the 6d, it was a mini 1dx, so I'd expect it to be better than the R6, I still use my 7d MK2 and my 6d, I take one along with my R5.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The 7D series was always a cropped pro camera and almost certainly it will be so again if Canon make the R7. It would have two card slots and possibly one will be CFExpress. The 32MP BSI sensor makes perfect sense as does the rest of the specification that thus far has not been confirmed. Price wise I would expect it to be more expensive than the R6 and likely around the $ 2,800 - $ 3,000 mark. The weather sealing on the 7D series was always similar to the 5D series as was its ruggedness. As for the suggestion it will have a small market thats a matter of opinion. There are hundreds of thousands of bird & wildlife photographers that would snap up this camera even if they own an R5 or R6 it makes perfect sense. Canon know the profile of their customers and other brands customers and lets not forget how successful the 7D series cameras were.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Anyway you look at it, I think expectations for the body might be a little too high. I'm really thinking people should expect a 90D like body, in the $1700 price range with features to match.
Highly unlikely. It will be the highest-end, most expensive crop body they've ever made with slightly newer sensor technology than on the R5/R6.
This is the exact reason why it is going to sell well (even though it will cost more than an R6), and they expect it to pair with expensive telephoto lenses that take advantage of that extra cropping ability over an R5.
So just like the RF system in general, it is not for price sensitive people.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
CFe Type B are still reasonably close in pricing to fast UHS-II cards but they are of course much faster.
I can't see SD cards dying though. Besides the massive installed base, there isn't much call for faster (>300MB/s) write speeds except for 8k/ 4k/120 video modes so the current speeds are fine for a long time to come
Using one type of slot makes it easier for manufacturers to manage, and customers to upgrade. I think it would take a few years, but is bound to happen,
same as xxD cameras having a CompactFlash card until the 60D.
The real question is if SD Express format can compete with CFe in the future where faster write speeds are needed. The slots/cards are only backward compatible with UHS-i speeds. I don't think that SD Express will be commercially viable.
I agree. With CFExpress is already out in the market, both cards & cameras, CF Express type A makes more sense then SD Express or UHS-III.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As for the suggestion it will have a small market thats a matter of opinion. There are hundreds of thousands of bird & wildlife photographers that would snap up this camera even if they own an R5 or R6 it makes perfect sense. Canon know the profile of their customers and other brands customers and lets not forget how successful the 7D series cameras were.
A matter of opinion, indeed. Let’s not forget that the 7D series was so successful it was refreshed even less frequently than the 1-series. That’s fact. Let’s not forget that the 7D series was so successful that Canon didn’t bother releasing a MkIII model and instead brought out a 90D with many of the 7-series features. Also fact.

Hundreds of thousands of bird & wildlife photographers that would snap up this camera? Not fact, merely your opinion.

You’re right about Canon knowing the market, but that really doesn’t bode well for the CR forum members who want a ‘cropped pro camera’, of which over the past 13 years Canon has launched only two.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0