Canon EOS R6 Mark II already in prototype testing [CR1]

Weren't the R6 and R5 announced at the same time? Then I could imagine that the R6 II will also come with an R5 II.
They were introduced at the same time. I can only see that happening again if they actually wait for a longer time period. I’d also guess Canon would like to create a hype/ good PR with each camera individually now, so they longer in the press focus.

And if (only if) the R6 gets an update to revamp the camera line-up, those cameras would be on different time schedule/ cycle as well.

Upvote 0
Keep the same body and controls. Swap in the sensor, focus system, and hot shoe from the R3. Retain compatibility with the same battery grip as the R6. That would be enough if the goal is to maximize the performance while keeping the price attractive.
Of course, I would also appreciate a higher performance EVF and screen, but not having those would not be a deal-breaker for me. I'd still upgrade ASAP.
So, basically you want an R3 without the eye focus control for the price of an R6?!?!

Not gonna happen, ever!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Using the R3 sensor makes sense as they have a lot of R&D costs and a production line to make them. I highly doubt they are selling many R3's so they need to recoup that investment like they did with the 1dx3 sensor on the R6. Releasing an R62 at 2999 with the R3 sensor, updated AF, new Processor etc would make it very attractive and sell very well. They could then drop the price of the R6 and sell both at the same time. I suspect the R6 sales have dropped through the floor with the R7 and R10.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I know many a wildlife shooter with a R5 or R6(with the R6 being preferred) and they aren’t looking at the R7. The R7 really should have had a stacked crop sensor and R5 build quality to be a wildlife body for the 7D crowd. As it stands it a D90 like body with experimental dial placement.

The R6 can actually shoot 20 FPS with good results and minimal rolling shutter. 20 MP is sufficient for most as most don’t crop. The common wildlife shooter sets up a perch and some food at a distance from wherever they are sitting with a R6 and (often) a EF 500mm f/4.0. The ones walking about with a 100-400/500 just get closer to fill the frame and if the frame isn’t filled with that then no amount of cropping is going to make for an acceptable image.
You mix with a different crowd of wild life shooters than I do. I must also be an exception as I have owned the R5, R6 and R7 for wild life photography, and the R6 is my last choice for bird photography, though sometimes first for other things. But, maybe I am not in a minority as there are 179 pages of R5 images on FM, for mainly wild life, and only 21 for the R6. Also you must consider all my images as not acceptable as I nearly always crop. By the same reasoning, any image taken on a 7DII or other crop camera must be unacceptable as it is a crop of a full frame sensor with the same lens attached and pixel pitch.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

You mix with a different crowd of wild life shooters than I do. I must also be an exception as I have owned the R5, R6 and R7 for wild life photography, and the R6 is my last choice for bird photography, though sometimes first for other things. But, maybe I am not in a minority as there are 179 pages of R5 images on FM, for mainly wild life, and only 21 for the R6. Also you must consider all my images as not acceptable as I nearly always crop. By the same reasoning, any image taken on a 7DII or other crop camera must be unacceptable as it is a crop of a full frame sensor with the same lens attached and pixel pitch.
Not all wildlife photography is birds, our experiences will, of course, be very different, that we are on a forum of any kind is the exception as it means we are incredibly geeky vs the billions of photos that go up to social media.

I would need to see your images to deem them acceptable or not, assuredly a crop vs no crop debate could go on for pages and pages. In general, I want all my pixels on the subject and if the subject is smaller in the frame than I would like then I can get closer or compose the picture to embrace the background.

I am sure you are not oblivious to the fact that before the D850 and R5's of the world, wildlife, and sports photographers were using 16-20 MP bodies for over a decade and those images are still in use today. R3, R6, and Z6 owners are all creating amazing images with their lowly 20ish MP bodies.

The R7 almost has to be used in mechanical, you can't fast pan in electronic with it like you can the R5 and R6. The R5 and R6 are really fantastic bodies and you can just pick the one for your budget.

I don't know how many photographers you personally engage with by actually seeing them in the wild, or giving classes, tours, etc. But I have over the last year pushed past a few hundred now and Canon folks if they aren't still on a DSLR are moving most often to the R6 because of its fantastic value.

Upvote 0
Two years after its debut and the R6 STILL overheats. Firmware 1.60 fixed overheating on the R5, but did nothing to cure the overheating in the R6. Mine still overheats, just from being on for a while (about an hour). I have no info to say whether the rumor is true or not, but one thing I know is that we are in need of a new version of the R6 to fix the overheating and add a few megapixels to the sensor.

As a wedding and portrait photographer and videographer, the R6 is nearly perfect as a hybrid camera for that world. It’s great in low light and the image is astounding. The only flaws are that it overheats in video and, in certain busy photos, the lower resolution shows up. Canon has demonstrated that it has no desire to fix the R6. So they might as well create a new one with the improvements above.

Upvote 0
R5 ii - 60MP, possible new processor, upgraded EVF (2024 release)
R6 ii - 28MP, upgraded EVF (2024 release)
RX - replacing RP, upgraded AF, single slot, no IBIS (2023 release)

Above these would obviously be the R3 and R1.
All models below the "RX" and R7 would be APS-C
I find the 45mp R5 sensor a sweet spot. Although the Sony has more pixels, it needs to oversample to get to 8k video whereas the R5 is naturally that resolution and can provide raw (if needed). Anything above 45mp would need to handle 8k in my opinion so there is that to contend with and unless the next generation of Digic X is more efficient then Canon's bodies can't handle the oversampling heat effectively.

I would guess that a R5s is more likely to be ~82mp (upscaled from the APC-S pixel density) and be a separate line... AA filter is a tricky one to include (landscape)/exclude (portrait/video) though.

I am expecting good things from a RPii.... focus system isn't that important to me but good ISO performance would be nice to have as a second body.

• Love
Upvote 0
I agree with you. More MP needs more storage space, more powerful computers etc… I’m happy with the 30 MP of the R, it’s a real sweet spot. More MPs would make me have to upgrade my MacBook and/ or iPad.
With my R5, it was an excuse to upgrade a 7 year old MBP and I have no issues with it. Consider using cRaw format if storage space is a concern.
Here, I don’t agree. A higher resolution EVF will cost more, therefore the camera would be more expensive. CFExpress also cost more… as well as 5ghz Wifi. What would the point in having a 4.000 € R6 with 20mp and 45mp R5 for 4.500 €???
You only need CFe type B for 8k30 raw and 4k120 (maybe 4k60). The heat generated is significant for sure.
See what the A1 can do with CFe Type A and even their compressed 8K still works on the faster USH-II SD card slots.
Faster cards will clear the buffer faster but if you are recording to both SD and CFe then the slower card is the limiting factor anyway.
I expect that CFe is not needed for any body that doesn't output 8k.

Upvote 0
The only point on which I disagree is regarding having 2 CFE slots. These cards cost upwards of GBP 200, so anyone wanting to shoot a backup set of shots to a second card is forced to pay at least GBP 400 on top of the cost of the camera. I could live with that, but I suspect it would put off a hell of a lot of prospective purchasers, who would rather have twin SD slots or one of each.
The differences in cost between the faster/fastest USH-ii cards and CFe Type B cards isn't that much. The biggest difference is the cost of the slot hardware and the heat generated.
If the A1 can handle almost everything using 2x USH-ii SD cards then that would be an ideal situation. CFe Type A slots are a waste of space/money but the dual slot feature is a nice option I guess.

Upvote 0
Leaving aside that the R6ii "rumour" is almost certainly complete BS, I think it's quite likely that *production* of the R has been discontinued for some time. It doesn't seem to have been a particularly popular model, so Canon and Canon dealers probably still hold quite large stocks, which is why it's still quite easy to find them at stores and warehouses.
An interesting thought but we don't have any firm evidence to support it.
You could also say the same for the 5Div which is still on sale at a price that is way above the R. Besides OVF/EVF and battery life, I don't see that price premium being justified.

Upvote 0
Since I started using Sony Tough SD cards, I haven't had one break or drop the write protect switch. Since a few months the cheaper SF-M (150MB/s write) series is also available in the Tough format. The SF-G (299MB/s write) goes on sale every other week. But those (and the Hoodman Steel series) are close to CFexpress prices.

I still prefer CFexpress cards, it's just soooooo nice to transfer pictures from the card to your computer at close to a gigabyte per second.
I agree about the Sony Tough cards. CFe cards are nice, hot and fast but I need to use my card reader whereas my MBP has a SD slot which is super simple. The only time I pull out my CFe card is recording 4k120 now.

Upvote 0
Ultimately I think most new camera models will have CFE slots. The prices will eventually drop, and 64MB cards will become available.
I disagree. CFe card slots are expensive and hot and larger than SD card slots. More robust for sure but no need for them unless there is high res video recording involved.
USH-ii cards are sufficient for all current bandwidth requirements. Albeit that they aren't much different in cost.
I got 128GB cards and they are sufficient for most of my shooting sessions. There have been some where I needed to go to one card because they were full which was annoying. I guess I could moved to cRaw but I am always pushing the exposure for indoor sports shots.

Upvote 0
I know many a wildlife shooter with a R5 or R6(with the R6 being preferred) and they aren’t looking at the R7. The R7 really should have had a stacked crop sensor and R5 build quality to be a wildlife body for the 7D crowd. As it stands it a D90 like body with experimental dial placement.
I agree that the R7 is more like 90D but Canon received all the market input going from 7Dii to 90D/M6ii they needed to justify if it was the right move.
A R7 like you describe would be priced above the R6 and maybe Canon didn't think that it would have sold so many.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
So much for emphasizing "pixels per feather". The R5 has about the same pixel size as the 7D. I would have expected it to be far more popular than the R6 for wildlife.
in case of R7 its overall package that's lacking(low res viewfinder(sub $1000 cameras have that viewfinder), build quality, lack of batter grip option, non-BSI sensor, rolling shutter). In SLR days only options for shooting action were either 7(originally x0) or 1 series of bodies but these days even entry level R10 can out perform SLRs both in terms of fps and buffer depth.
I disagree. CFe card slots are expensive and hot and larger than SD card slots. More robust for sure but no need for them unless there is high res video recording involved.
USH-ii cards are sufficient for all current bandwidth requirements. Albeit that they aren't much different in cost.
I got 128GB cards and they are sufficient for most of my shooting sessions. There have been some where I needed to go to one card because they were full which was annoying. I guess I could moved to cRaw but I am always pushing the exposure for indoor sports shots.
CFxpress A might replace SD format if its adopted by manufacturers other than Sony. In case of SD its quite omnipresent in almost all sectors.

Upvote 0
In France it is even illegal to take photos of the Eiffel Tower at night, because the lighting scheme is copyrighted. That would be impossible in Germany, where you can take photos of anything from a public street.
the Eiffel Tower night copyright story is correct but misleading in the sense that there has never been any enforcement of it except for commercial purposes.
It is like the Sydney Opera House where there are copyright requirements for commercial use where it is a significant feature in the promotion. SOH has enforced their copyright over sporting teams using it (even stylised versions of it) and licensing wedding photographers but billions of selfies are just good advertising.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
CFxpress A might replace SD format if its adopted by manufacturers other than Sony. In case of SD its quite omnipresent in almost all sectors.
I think that it is unlikely. Type A has capacity limitations that Type B doesn't. Sony was the only manufacturer until recently and (as far as I know) there are only 2 bodies that use them and they also take USH-ii cards. As far as I know, very few A1 shooters bother with CFe cards as the USH-ii cards are fast enough.

A successor for USH-ii cards is the next question of course. SDexpress is possible but I think that CFe Type B may be more dominant given the current market for faster speeds.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
I think that it is unlikely. Type A has capacity limitations that Type B doesn't. Sony was the only manufacturer until recently and (as far as I know) there are only 2 bodies that use them and they also take USH-ii cards. As far as I know, very few A1 shooters bother with CFe cards as the USH-ii cards are fast enough.

A successor for USH-ii cards is the next question of course. SDexpress is possible but I think that CFe Type B may be more dominant given the current market for faster speeds.
For now SDexpress seem to be DoA(just like UHS-III) with quite a few limitations on speeds(forced to UHS-I speeds when used in non SDexpress slots and when using non SDexpress cards in SDexpress slots). Even SD cards had limitations on max size which improved overtime, as of now Exascend has CFexpress A cards upto 240GB so since its introduction there already is improvement. Even the A1 shooters I know didnt bother with CFx as it is too expensive compared to fastest UHS-II SD cards. As I said success of CFx A depends on how well industry(other than ILC sector of camera industry) adopts this format.

Upvote 0