Canon EOS R6 Mark II already in prototype testing [CR1]

Aside from the word "capable," I agree with this sentence. I would call it "more modest" while others would whine that it is "crippled." (A phrase that I hate.) The only reason I can see to change the R6 is to make room in a lineup for a cheaper R replacement (R8 or whatever they choose to call it). Why would they need to give an R8 better specs than the existing R6? My guess is they would upgrade the R6 very modestly – change the sensor resolution to either 24 or 30 mp and add a few tweaks. Then subtract a few things from the R6 for the new R8 (dual card slot and IBIS come to mind), in order to hit a $2,000 price point.
Many are mentioning remove IBIS from the new "R". IBIS is a big point in that it allows non IS lenses to have some stabilization. Keep the 1 slot vs 2 for the R6 II and what ever they want for the R6 II, but start making IBIS standard across the Canon lineup.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
I find it difficult to see what Canon could do to *significantly* improve the R6, without the price increasing considerably.

The only regular complaint I read about the camera is that many people consider the 20MP sensor insufficient. So, what would the alternatives be? I think it's extremely unlikely that they'd use the expensive 24MP stacked sensor from the R3. They could use an "improved" version of the 30MP sensor from the R, but that may be perceived by many potential buyers as a bit long in the tooth by now. The only other viable option would seem to be a *new* 24MP sensor, but would even that provide any really *worthwhile* improvement over the existing R6 sensor?

I take the whole rumour with a large pinch of salt anyway. The rumourmonger seems to have no credentials. I also think that an R5 Mkii is more likely to appear before a R6 Mkii, or at least at the same time.

.... and despite recent rumours, I think the "R replacement" will be quietly dropped.
Idk why but that 5d IV 30mp sensor is still my favorite. Something about how images were rendered or captured on that thing.

Upvote 0

calfoto

Long Time Lurker
CR Pro
Feb 27, 2013
Those that keep banging on about 20MP either crop like mad or have shots on billboards otherwise it’s nonsense 20MP is not enough.
I’ve seen photos of mine from a 5D mkIII (22.5 Mp) used on billboards and they looked just fine. And the billion dollar medical corp. who used them must have thought they worked fine as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Event photography I can see, wildlife not so much. The ideal combination would be an R6 and an R7. I bought an R7 and already have a 5D3, which is good enough. All my high speed primes are EF, so I'll wait for the R3 sensor in an R6 body.
I know many a wildlife shooter with a R5 or R6(with the R6 being preferred) and they aren’t looking at the R7. The R7 really should have had a stacked crop sensor and R5 build quality to be a wildlife body for the 7D crowd. As it stands it a D90 like body with experimental dial placement.

The R6 can actually shoot 20 FPS with good results and minimal rolling shutter. 20 MP is sufficient for most as most don’t crop. The common wildlife shooter sets up a perch and some food at a distance from wherever they are sitting with a R6 and (often) a EF 500mm f/4.0. The ones walking about with a 100-400/500 just get closer to fill the frame and if the frame isn’t filled with that then no amount of cropping is going to make for an acceptable image.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Curious - Are policies as restrictive for monopods?
I have never tried a monopod, but at least you can keep a monopod close to your body or even hide it. The argument that somebody could stumble across your monopod and fall could not be used. To be honest I usually use a tripod anyway, because it takes some time until security tells me to stop and by then I already have my photo. At Burj Khalifa security quickly stopped me with my tripod on the crowded side. So I came back six days later from the other side, where hardly any people are. I was able to take photos for half an hour that time before security stopped me again. As a photographer you sometimes have to ignore laws that restrict your freedom to take photos.

In France it is even illegal to take photos of the Eiffel Tower at night, because the lighting scheme is copyrighted. That would be impossible in Germany, where you can take photos of anything from a public street.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
In France it is even illegal to take photos of the Eiffel Tower at night, because the lighting scheme is copyrighted.
Misinformation is never useful.

From the Eiffel Tower website:
Is it illegal to photograph the Tower at night?
Photographing the Eiffel Tower at night is not illegal at all. Any individual can take photos and share them on social networks.

But the situation is different for professionals. The Eiffel Tower’s lighting and sparkling lights are protected by copyright, so professional use of images of the Eiffel Tower at night require prior authorization and may be subject to a fee. Professionals should therefore contact the Eiffel Tower's management company to learn about conditions for using the images depending on the case.

It's like any copyright, you can use the images but you cannot profit from them without paying a fee.

From a family trip to Paris several years ago:
Eiffel.jpg
EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 6.0 s or 0.8 s, f/11 or f/9, ISO 400

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Are you inferring the R is 'more' of an allrounder than the R6? The R6 can run circles around the R imho and real world use has shown.
I was inferring that the R successor (or whatever the name) will be more of an allaround camera than the R6 (or mk ii).

I do agree that the R6 is superior in terms of AF, FPS, e-shutter, video specs and low light (maybe it does run circles…) but in some cases (studio, portrait, landscapes, in some cases architecture) 30 mp just outresolves the R6. If the current gets good fps and the focus capabilities, yeah it’ll be of ab Allrounder. The R6 will probably be pushed more towards to speed and great low light capabilities, two things it’s already great at.

Upvote 0
The best shots of architecture can be achieved during the blue hour, which had quite low light. The problem is that in many cities the use of tripods is not allowed without a written permission. In London they argue that pedestrians could fall over your tripod (complete nonsense) and in New York City they argue that with tripods terrorists could take a photo of the interior of a building from the outside. In Dubai huge areas are private property - including the streets and they simply forbid tripods. The same is true in the Docklands in London. Most observation decks around the world do not allow tripods at all. So having the otion to take a low noise handheld shot during the blue hour is a huge benefit. And even if tripods are allowed, carrying a tripod is no fun. So IBIS helps a lot.
Do you a link at hand for London? I took several shots of the Christmas lights of a tripod in 2019. Back then, there were several people using a tripod. And I’m talking about regents street and Oxford circus.

This year, I visited London a week before the coronation jubilee. And again, there were lots of people using a tripod.

But it’s good to know such restrictions exist. Especially for NY I’d considered an upgrade to an IBIS camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Do you a link at hand for London? I took several shots of the Christmas lights of a tripod in 2019. Back then, there were several people using a tripod. And I’m talking about regents street and Oxford circus.

This year, I visited London a week before the coronation jubilee. And again, there were lots of people using a tripod.

But it’s good to know such restrictions exist. Especially for NY I’d considered an upgrade to an IBIS camera.
I have not had issues using a tripod in Europe. I've used them outdoors as well as in buildings, for example this shot of the alter in the Basel Münster was a 13 s exposure (won't be doing that with IBIS).

Basel Münster.jpg
EOS 1D X, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 13 s, f/11, ISO 200

The only place I've been asked to stop taking pictures was here in Boston, but I did get the shot before the security guard approached me...

CS Boston.jpg
EOS 5D Mark II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 1/60 s, f/11, ISO 100, +10 shift

That's the Mother Church of Christian Science, their HQ is a large office building next door.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018

The only place in London where I was really stopped while taking tripod shots where the Docklands, because there even the streets are private property, although they look like public streets. In London many areas look like public areas, although they are not. That is even true for many sidewalks along the Thames and many plazas between the skyscrapers in the City of London.
However there are also often security guards overstepping their rights: https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/...d-tripod-police-overstepping-their-boundaries
I found a threat about photography in London: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/tripod-use-in-london.612584

In New York City I was stopped several times. For example in Times Sqaure tripods are forbidden. Even in Bryant Park I was approached by a security guy telling me that tripods are not allowed in a park. That never happened to me before in a park and I really do not understand why tripods are not allowed there. However now that you know that, you should just hide your tripod in Bryant Park until you are sure that no security guard is near you and then take out your tripod and take photos until they stop you. They will not call the police or confiscate your camera. They will you tell you to stop. One security guy even approached be on the sidewalk of Sixth Avenue and told me the sidewalk is part of the private property. So I told the guy that the laws says that the five feet closed to the street are public and only the rest of the sidewalk are private property. I totally made that up, but the security guy believed me and stopped bothering me :). Maybe it would even be a good idea to print out a fake law about photography in public. Most people believe things that are printed out.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
year or so back R7 wasn't available for them and it was either R5 or R6 for wildlife so most of them went with R6(smaller file size). recently was talking with a friend who upgraded from 7D 2, overall he didnt like what R7 offered and instead paid the extra for R6. He mostly shoots with 400mm 2.8 with or without 1.4x TC, for Macro he has kept his crop DSLR(760D).
I know many a wildlife shooter with a R5 or R6(with the R6 being preferred) and they aren’t looking at the R7. The R7 really should have had a stacked crop sensor and R5 build quality to be a wildlife body for the 7D crowd. As it stands it a D90 like body with experimental dial placement.

The R6 can actually shoot 20 FPS with good results and minimal rolling shutter. 20 MP is sufficient for most as most don’t crop. The common wildlife shooter sets up a perch and some food at a distance from wherever they are sitting with a R6 and (often) a EF 500mm f/4.0. The ones walking about with a 100-400/500 just get closer to fill the frame and if the frame isn’t filled with that then no amount of cropping is going to make for an acceptable image.
So much for emphasizing "pixels per feather". The R5 has about the same pixel size as the 7D. I would have expected it to be far more popular than the R6 for wildlife.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
So much for emphasizing "pixels per feather". The R5 has about the same pixel size as the 7D. I would have expected it to be far more popular than the R6 for wildlife.
I have both the 7D and the R5, the R5, in crop mode, has a lot more detail than the 7D. And on the R5 you can go beyond ISO400 :)
The AA filter in the 7D is basically a thick layer of vaseline when you compare it to the R5.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Keep the same body and controls. Swap in the sensor, focus system, and hot shoe from the R3. Retain compatibility with the same battery grip as the R6. That would be enough if the goal is to maximize the performance while keeping the price attractive.
Of course, I would also appreciate a higher performance EVF and screen, but not having those would not be a deal-breaker for me. I'd still upgrade ASAP.
Swap the stacked sensor from the R3 and the price will no longer be attractive. I can't see Canon putting a stacked sensor in the R6 if the R5 does not have one. So, this rumor seems total baloney.

Upvote 0