Canon EOS R6 Mark II already in prototype testing [CR1]

Jul 21, 2010
I agree with you. I saw the BG in a store attached an R6/ R5 and it did look kind of weird to me. I didn’t test it, but I can imagine the complaints are for real.
I used Canon battery grips on my T1i/500D, 7D and 5DII. The Rebel did not look like a seamless fit, the other two did, but regardless of that none of them felt nearly as comfortable as the integrated grip on the 1-series and R3. That’s because the add on grips jut out toward the back of the camera to accommodate the transversely oriented pair of batteries. Having the back of the camera be flat on the vertical grip like it is on the regular grip makes a huge difference for ergonomics, at least for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
When a new version of a camera comes out, I always fear that it will be spoiled by a higher resolution. I a glad that Canon still offers a full frame camera with "only" 21 megapixels. Those who want more megapixels, could still buy an R5, although the R5 is quite overpriced in my opinion.

What I would wish about the R6II is that it will basically become a lower resolution version of the R5 without all that additional crippleling that Canon introduced in the R6. For example it should no longer have a smaller screen than the R5 or a lower resolution EVF. It should also come with 5 GHz WIFI like the R5 and perhabs even with WIFI 6E. And it should also have a top display instead of a dial and a CFexpress card slot. Of course if both slots would be CFexpress, that would even be better.

It should finally come with an optional battery grip that actually aligns with the camera. The current R5/R6 battery grip really does not look like a part of the camera. I can't understand that design decision. For more than $300 I would expect a perfectly fitting battery grip.
I agree with most of this. I need extra MP for some subjects/situations, so I've got an R5, but 80% of what I shoot would be fine at 24MP, and I'd estimate that 95% of users never truly need more than that. The 30MP of my 5DMkiv was a sweet spot.

The only point on which I disagree is regarding having 2 CFE slots. These cards cost upwards of GBP 200, so anyone wanting to shoot a backup set of shots to a second card is forced to pay at least GBP 400 on top of the cost of the camera. I could live with that, but I suspect it would put off a hell of a lot of prospective purchasers, who would rather have twin SD slots or one of each.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
How are 20 a joke? I know quite a lot of photographers who purchased R6(over R5 and R7 and upgraded from 7D/7D II) for wildlife shooting and events who are happy with their camera and swear by it.
Event photography I can see, wildlife not so much. The ideal combination would be an R6 and an R7. I bought an R7 and already have a 5D3, which is good enough. All my high speed primes are EF, so I'll wait for the R3 sensor in an R6 body.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I wonder what the chances are that it will jump to 30mp?
It's a possibility, because Canon could re-use the 30MP sensor from the R, and probably improve it with a bit of minor "surgery". But it's an old design, appearing first in the 5DMkiv, way back in 2016, so it's long overdue for replacement.

The R6 competes directly with the 33MP Sony a7iv, and it's very likely that the upcoming Nikon Z6 iii will use the same Sony sensor, so a "R6ii" would need to have at least 28MP to be seen as competitive.

The problem for Canon is that they don't want to cannibalise sales of the R5 which has 45MP, and the answer to that is to simultaneously release higher MP versions of R5ii and R6ii. As I stated in another post, this would probably mean an R6ii with about 28MP, and a R5ii with about 60MP. Doing this would also leave a gap below the R6ii for a "budget" 20MP model with a single SD slot and no IBIS.

As for timing - I think we're looking at mid-2024, which is why I think this rumour about a R6ii being tested in the field right now is a complete load of bollox.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The article says "...to replace the discontinued EOS R". It does not look like EOS R has been discontinued. It is on sale at least on UK Canon web shop, and many retailers.
Leaving aside that the R6ii "rumour" is almost certainly complete BS, I think it's quite likely that *production* of the R has been discontinued for some time. It doesn't seem to have been a particularly popular model, so Canon and Canon dealers probably still hold quite large stocks, which is why it's still quite easy to find them at stores and warehouses.

Upvote 0
Canon should be looking at what were the main complaints about the R6 that people had
I have no idea what you’re talking about. All minimal complaints I had in the past were solved via firmware update.

This rumour doesn’t really make much sense, I mean, not at this moment. Yes, the R3’s sensor would be the “obvious” choice for a R6 II, because the R3 is the current “high end fast camera” and they made the R6 with the sensor of the 1DX3, and to that extent I agree.

But the R6 is, by far, the camera that Canon has the least reasons to worry about. They have yet to release a higher resolution high end sports camera (R1), a high resolution “standard” camera (R5s?), and something below the R6.

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
Interestingly, to me it feels like most CR readers would like to upgrade the R6 so it’s very close to the R5. Funnily, that would widen the gap between the 1.000 $ RP and the pro models. Canon on the other hand is trying to close the gap between 1.000 $ and 2.500 $ R6…

If the R6 gets an update, it’ll be a modest one to push upward just a little bit. That way canon makes room for an Allrounder type camera like the R (of course, it’s successor…whatever the name will be). A 2.000 $ R successor and a 2.500-2.800 $ R6mkii would fit in.

At the moment, it almost looks like there is a gap from 0 $ to 2.500 $ because the R and the RP are outdated in terms of focus capabilities and e-shutter (maybe a few other things).
Are you inferring the R is 'more' of an allrounder than the R6? The R6 can run circles around the R imho and real world use has shown.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
The only point on which I disagree is regarding having 2 CFE slots. These cards cost upwards of GBP 200, so anyone wanting to shoot a backup set of shots to a second card is forced to pay at least GBP 400 on top of the cost of the camera. I could live with that, but I suspect it would put off a hell of a lot of prospective purchasers, who would rather have twin SD slots or one of each.
I do not like that SD cards are so flimsy. My current camera has CF cards and I love them. I wish CFexpress cards came in smaller capacities. I do not really need 64 GB. I still use a 16 GB and a 32 GB CF card. Those cards combined are large enough for 1,500 photos in JPEG+RAW at my low resolution. As new RAW formats are smaller per megapixel, 2x32 GB would be enough for me. 64 GB are overkill unless I shoot video.
The more I think about the pros and cons of new cameras, the more I lean towards just keeping my very old camera (I think it came out in 2011) for another few years and instead invest into new glass. I dot need video, I do not need people or animal tracking, I do not need more megapixels and on the other side I am glad that I have my OVF and a long battery life. Only IBIS is something I would like to have, but even that comes with ist downsides.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Yeah no thank you. 8K is rediculous, don't need that. When you step up the resolution you need to also step up your computer specs, storage, etc. I do not want to shoot anything higher than 6K if I don't have to. I can't stand the digital look, I love emulating film, but want the flexibility of raw. Don't need no 8K. The 1DXIII has the same sensor and processor as the R6 and it can do 5.5K 12 bit raw video... Doesn't seem so hard to put it in the R6 for the people that don't want 8K raw. Resolution isn't everything, but Canon doesn't seem to get that.
I want the 8k. I need the 8k. I love the 8k. I will up my computer, HDD, CF cards and everything else to work on the 8k. Resolution is not everything, but, it is FANTASTIC, obviously!!!

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I do not like that SD cards are so flimsy. My current camera has CF cards and I love them. I wish CFexpress cards came in smaller capacities. I do not really need 64 GB. I still use a 16 GB and a 32 GB CF card. Those cards combined are large enough for 1,500 photos in JPEG+RAW at my low resolution. As new RAW formats are smaller per megapixel, 2x32 GB would be enough for me. 64 GB are overkill unless I shoot video.
The more I think about the pros and cons of new cameras, the more I lean towards just keeping my very old camera (I think it came out in 2011) for another few years and instead invest into new glass. I dot need video, I do not need people or animal tracking, I do not need more megapixels and on the other side I am glad that I have my OVF and a long battery life. Only IBIS is something I would like to have, but even that comes with ist downsides.
Yes SD card are a bit flimsy, although I've never broken one. They are also tiny and easily lost. But they are ridiculously cheap, and available almost anywhere, even in remote villages in the Amazon.

I assume from your handle that you shoot mostly architecture, so as you say, there is no need in your case for fast cards, high burst speeds, video or animal-eye AF tracking etc. But I'm surprised that you want IBIS, unless you shoot handheld in poor lighting.

CF cards fell from popularity primarily because it was so common for people (myself included) to bend the pins in the camera when changing cards in a hurry, so I'm glad they are a thing of the past.

Ultimately I think most new camera models will have CFE slots. The prices will eventually drop, and 64MB cards will become available.

As for keeping your DSLR, good for you. Why be a slave to fashion and spend more money than you need to, if you prefer an optical viewfinder and the many other benefits afforded with DSLRs?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
When a new version of a camera comes out, I always fear that it will be spoiled by a higher resolution. I a glad that Canon still offers a full frame camera with "only" 21 megapixels. Those who want more megapixels, could still buy an R5, although the R5 is quite overpriced in my opinion.

What I would wish about the R6II is that it will basically become a lower resolution version of the R5 without all that additional crippleling that Canon introduced in the R6. For example it should no longer have a smaller screen than the R5 or a lower resolution EVF. It should also come with 5 GHz WIFI like the R5 and perhabs even with WIFI 6E. And it should also have a top display instead of a dial and a CFexpress card slot. Of course if both slots would be CFexpress, that would even be better.

It should finally come with an optional battery grip that actually aligns with the camera. The current R5/R6 battery grip really does not look like a part of the camera. I can't understand that design decision. For more than $300 I would expect a perfectly fitting battery grip.
R5 is not expensive, it is a steal for what it does.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
But the R6 is, by far, the camera that Canon has the least reasons to worry about.
Very true. It's very highly regarded by the people who buy it, whether pro or enthusiast. There seem to be fewer complaints about it on the internet, compared to the other RF models. Despite all the people who complain about it only having 20MP, people who actually buy the camera seem to be perfectly happy. Just because the *specification* is lower than competing Sony and Nikon models, doesn't mean that it's inferior. It's a very well designed camera, extremely simple to use, and produces pro-quality images with the minimum of fuss.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I highly doubt the R6 is about to be replaced given it’s only been out two years. Those that keep banging on about 20MP either crop like mad or have shots on billboards otherwise it’s nonsense 20MP is not enough.
My son entire wedding was shot on three R6 cameras and we have some pretty large prints that are razor sharp so if a professional wedding photographer thinks it’s enough and they are making a living from them then that cool with me.
I personally own the R, R5 & R6. The R is now a back-up camera the R5 I use in the studio for portraiture, outside for wildlife and the R6 I use for landscape.
Is the R6 (or for that matter the R5) perfect, no however I would struggle to see what major changes are required my main gripe being battery performance which affects both the R5 & R6.
Sometimes in portraiture and in wildlife both the R5 & R6 struggle to grab an eye especially where there are other distractions but this is more of a nuisance than a major complaint.
Canon do need to update the RP. The R is actually between the R5 & R6. An RII with a joystick, the AF in the R3 & R7 and the newer metering system as well at a higher frame rate would definitely push it above the R6 if it retains a sensor around 30MP plus the new hot shoe. That said in the UK the R6 is £ 2,399.00 whereas the R5 is £ 4,299.00. That’s a £ 1,900 Segway between the two meaning a camera priced around £ 3,299 is conceivable and inline with Canon moving to higher value cameras.
Maybe that’s Canon plan to switch the R6II to a R replacement and the RII effectively a R6 replacement (Maybe an R8)

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
I assume from your handle that you shoot mostly architecture, so as you say, there is no need in your case for fast cards, high burst speeds, video or animal-eye AF tracking etc. But I'm surprised that you want IBIS, unless you shoot handheld in poor lighting.
The best shots of architecture can be achieved during the blue hour, which had quite low light. The problem is that in many cities the use of tripods is not allowed without a written permission. In London they argue that pedestrians could fall over your tripod (complete nonsense) and in New York City they argue that with tripods terrorists could take a photo of the interior of a building from the outside. In Dubai huge areas are private property - including the streets and they simply forbid tripods. The same is true in the Docklands in London. Most observation decks around the world do not allow tripods at all. So having the otion to take a low noise handheld shot during the blue hour is a huge benefit. And even if tripods are allowed, carrying a tripod is no fun. So IBIS helps a lot.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
It should finally come with an optional battery grip that actually aligns with the camera. The current R5/R6 battery grip really does not look like a part of the camera.
Yep, totally agree. The grip on my R5 looks wonky. The R actually has a very nice grip, fits almost seamlessly with camera. They definitely put more thought into that grip.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Are you inferring the R is 'more' of an allrounder than the R6? The R6 can run circles around the R imho and real world use has shown.
I am positive that's the case, however, the R does have more megapickles. For the compositionally challenged it's a big deal. At least for me.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I do not like that SD cards are so flimsy. My current camera has CF cards and I love them.[..]
Since I started using Sony Tough SD cards, I haven't had one break or drop the write protect switch. Since a few months the cheaper SF-M (150MB/s write) series is also available in the Tough format. The SF-G (299MB/s write) goes on sale every other week. But those (and the Hoodman Steel series) are close to CFexpress prices.

I still prefer CFexpress cards, it's just soooooo nice to transfer pictures from the card to your computer at close to a gigabyte per second.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes SD card are a bit flimsy, although I've never broken one. They are also tiny and easily lost. But they are ridiculously cheap, and available almost anywhere, even in remote villages in the Amazon[..]
I also appreciate that I can swap SD cards between my R5 and M6II in case I fill one of the cards when I'm out. But with CRAW and 128G cards, I'll run out of battery first :)

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Event photography I can see, wildlife not so much. The ideal combination would be an R6 and an R7. I bought an R7 and already have a 5D3, which is good enough. All my high speed primes are EF, so I'll wait for the R3 sensor in an R6 body.
year or so back R7 wasn't available for them and it was either R5 or R6 for wildlife so most of them went with R6(smaller file size). recently was talking with a friend who upgraded from 7D 2, overall he didnt like what R7 offered and instead paid the extra for R6. He mostly shoots with 400mm 2.8 with or without 1.4x TC, for Macro he has kept his crop DSLR(760D).

Upvote 0