Canon EOS R5 Mark II to arrive before EOS R1? [CR2]

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I'm still waiting for the R5_II, or whatever they call it, for a 2nd body to use alongside my R5.
It's taking forever, but at least Canon is still in business so I can't complain.
It will be interesting to see what's new or improved.
I still wish they'd come out with aperture bracketing one day, since that's only a simple firmware upgrade which would make me soooo happy.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
We are still about a year out from Canon’s normal refresh cycle.
I guess that's true for them. I was a new Canon customer with the R5 when it came out. Before that, I was happy enough with the Olympus EM1_II and eagerly waited for the new version of it to come out, but it took so long that I gave up and gave it to my brother and got the R5 to get better background blur with a full frame sensor assuming it would be much better. Not too long after changing, Olympus went out of business and then a new version was released from their ashes (surprisingly).

There are many things that Olympus did better, but I'm happy enough with the R5 and their lenses (the 100-500 f4.5-7.1L in particular) to be willing to wait for even longer for a new R5 version to come out. I do wish that Canon would be better at listening to customers who have good ideas that would make their cameras even better, but you have to enjoy what you have and be happy they're still in business in these turbulent times with cell phones becoming the default.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
possibly some pressure to update the model since so many have experienced failure of the hotshoe
Canon have been happy to replace the hotshoe in most instances that I have read about. I am certainly careful with mine with the speedlite on. If a R5ii is released soon then I am confident that this is one area that they would improve.
I do wonder about improved video features though with cannibalisation of the R5c.... unless the cinema menus are loaded when changing over and the internal heating doesn't require the R5c's fan.
A new Digic X with higher efficiency/ narrower line lithography would assist this.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I do wonder about improved video features though with cannibalisation of the R5c.... unless the cinema menus are loaded when changing over and the internal heating doesn't require the R5c's fan.
A new Digic X with higher efficiency/ narrower line lithography would assist this.
Good point. Canon seem to upgrade processors every 2 - 3 years, and the Digic X has been around since Feb 2020 (in the 1DX III). So it's very likely the next generation R5, and the GreatWhiteWhale R1, would get the Digic XI, with whatever efficiencies that brings.

Upvote 0
Good point. Canon seem to upgrade processors every 2 - 3 years, and the Digic X has been around since Feb 2020 (in the 1DX III). So it's very likely the next generation R5, and the GreatWhiteWhale R1, would get the Digic XI, with whatever efficiencies that brings.
Would be lovely if was fabbed using a 5nm, 4nm or 3nm node process. Would help improve power consumption & battery life.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Would be lovely if was fabbed using a 5nm, 4nm or 3nm node process. Would help improve power consumption & battery life.
I've never seen any indication of what nm the Digic X currently is. I think Canon use TSMC, but it's doubtful they would be paying them for 'cutting edge' product, so I doubt the current version is under 45nm. And similarly doubtful that would change much in the next iteration. Which doesn't mean an upcoming Digic XI won't still be much better in all ways, including heat and battery life.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I guess that's true for them. I was a new Canon customer with the R5 when it came out. Before that, I was happy enough with the Olympus EM1_II and eagerly waited for the new version of it to come out, but it took so long that I gave up and gave it to my brother and got the R5 to get better background blur with a full frame sensor assuming it would be much better. Not too long after changing, Olympus went out of business and then a new version was released from their ashes (surprisingly).

There are many things that Olympus did better, but I'm happy enough with the R5 and their lenses (the 100-500 f4.5-7.1L in particular) to be willing to wait for even longer for a new R5 version to come out. I do wish that Canon would be better at listening to customers who have good ideas that would make their cameras even better, but you have to enjoy what you have and be happy they're still in business in these turbulent times with cell phones becoming the default.
Not sure why you are so impatient. Most releases from one generation to the next are minor - especially as the tech matures. The Olympus E-M1 mark III that "took so long" that you gave up was released only 3 years and 2 months after the mark II. Canon releases are often 4 years apart, as has been mentioned. Canon cameras are arguably the easiest to use and set up. (I say this as someone who has used Sony, Nikon and Olympus cameras (my Olympus OM-1 is probably my most used camera, before that, I also owned the E-M1 mark II). I think they know far better than any forum participant what the good ideas are.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Canon has been quite clear that the X in Digic X is a letter and not a roman numeral.
I am not so sure they are going to still change the name every time they upgrade image processor.
Maybe they will.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
We are still about a year out from Canon’s normal refresh cycle.
The DSLR refresh cycle has ended. With mirrorless, product cycles can be shortened.
The R5 is the only one with the older processor at this point.
R10, R50, R8, R7, R6II, R3 all have it.
They probably don't want to continue with those older parts for a long time either, better to be more streamlined.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The DSLR refresh cycle has ended. With mirrorless, product cycles can be shortened.
Product cycles could have been with DSLRs, too...but they weren't. The DLSR market in its heyday was much larger than the MILC market is now (or has even been). What makes you think that just because MILC product cycles can be shorter, they will be shorter?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The R5 is the only one with the older processor at this point.
R10, R50, R8, R7, R6II, R3 all have it.
They probably don't want to continue with those older parts for a long time either, better to be more streamlined.
Please tell me from where you know that the R10, R50, R8, R7, R6II, R3 all have a newer Digic X processor than has the R5.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Product cycles could have been with DSLRs, too...but they weren't. The DLSR market in its heyday was much larger than the MILC market is now (or has even been). What makes you think that just because MILC product cycles can be shorter, they will be shorter?
Probably haven't heard about it, it's called common sense. There are more players in the mirrorless market, more new models coming out every year in many different categories - which as you may have not guessed, may have different product cycles.
Of course it depends on one's viewpoint whether a R5/R6 Mark II is actually a new generation, or just a refresh.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Please tell me from where you know that the R10, R50, R8, R7, R6II, R3 all have a newer Digic X processor than has the R5.
"The Canon EOS R6 Mark II is the replacement for the original R6 camera and it brings a new sensor with a 20% increase in resolution, plus a new processor for faster continuous shooting and enhanced subject-detection, better video and a host of other improvements."

They all have no recording limits for video with a temperature indicator, same newer AF interface on all of them.
They didn't do much with regards to cooling, but the new processor deals with heat much better and also consumes less power, since the R6II and R8 have increased battery life over the R6 and RP.
Just common sense for Canon to equip everything after the R3 with the newer version.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
"The Canon EOS R6 Mark II is the replacement for the original R6 camera and it brings a new sensor with a 20% increase in resolution, plus a new processor for faster continuous shooting and enhanced subject-detection, better video and a host of other improvements."

They all have no recording limits for video with a temperature indicator, same newer AF interface on all of them.
They didn't do much with regards to cooling, but the new processor deals with heat much better and also consumes less power, since the R6II and R8 have increased battery life over the R6 and RP.
Just common sense for Canon to equip everything after the R3 with the newer version.
How do you know it’s not just software changes or non-processor related power savings, like more frugal LCDs and sensor?

Upvote 0
I've never seen any indication of what nm the Digic X currently is. I think Canon use TSMC, but it's doubtful they would be paying them for 'cutting edge' product, so I doubt the current version is under 45nm. And similarly doubtful that would change much in the next iteration. Which doesn't mean an upcoming Digic XI won't still be much better in all ways, including heat and battery life.
I actually tried searching the die shrink each DIGIC chip was using. Could not find any data on it online.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Probably haven't heard about it, it's called common sense. There are more players in the mirrorless market, more new models coming out every year in many different categories - which as you may have not guessed, may have different product cycles.
Of course it depends on one's viewpoint whether a R5/R6 Mark II is actually a new generation, or just a refresh.
That's called speculation, but thanks for sharing your opinion. There used to be just as many players in the DLSR market, the main difference was that was Canon and Nikon dominating the market, now it's Canon and Sony. There were many 'levels' of DSLRs, too – more price points than for MILCs currently, in fact. But hey, if you toss out enough opinions, you're bound to be right a time or two. We'll have to wait and see if that's the case here.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Just goes to show how uncommon that thing called 'common sense' really is. If a newer version costs more to produce, it makes more sense to keep using the older version as long as it meets the need. Once the ROI on development for a chip (or anything else) becomes positive, profit increases.

Upvote 0