Rumored Canon EOS R1 EVF specifications [CR1]

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I hardly do burst ...
Good for you, but others do - like me.

Those cameras focus too much on sport, people and action. If you do not care about those areas of photography, the negatives of a mirrorless camera weigh much more. ... I have serious doubts about the durability of mirrorless cameras. Will they really survive ten or twenty years?
Your opinion, but your arguments don't convince me.
Question 1: What kind of areas of photography are yours?
Just a few months ago, esp. the sports and action photogs - like me - were the most sceptical about EVF and especially the landscapers said "why you bother about EVF?".
Question 2: What type of actual EVF did you test or have in use to complain that much about?

And maybe you are right about the durability. I hope not.
But I've also seen (D)SLRs not surviving even 5 years. So please don't come with numbers, maybe one or thirty percent of the units could achieve.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Sadly that ship has passed. I would buy a 1DX with a 45+ BSI sensor in a heartbeat!
What would be the advantage of a stacked sensor in a DSLR? My understanding is that having a stacked sensor allows for blackout free shooting and less rolling shutter when using an electronic shutter.

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Question 1: What kind of areas of photography are yours?

Question 2: What type of actual EVF did you test or have in use to complain that much about?
I pretty much solely focus on skyscrapers. I just came back from a trip where I took photos of about 500 skyscrapers in several cities. Before the trip I really thought about replacing my aging camera, but the trip changed my opinion. The camera did everything I wanted.

As as do not have a mirrorless camera yet, I only know EVFs from photo fairs where I tried cameras like the R6, R3 and R7 as well as the Sony A1. The only EVF I saw so far that was not completely bad was the one of the R3.
In poor light with a mid-aperture lens, OVFs are massively darker than an EVF. I actually recently did a test with my R5 and my D750, and put the same f/3.5 lens on both cameras (Nikon AI 135mm f/3.5), and took pictures through the viewfinders with my phone - and found the OVF of the D750 was over 7 stops dimmer than my R5's EVF. Here's a picture - left is the R5's EVF. Center is the view from the OVF at the same exposure.....and the right is the OVF with the expsosure adjusted, which was 7 stops different with regards to ISO and shutter speed.
viewfinders-1.jpg
Of course the EVF shows a brighter image, because the brightness is amplified. That is not a real image any more through. Even if I take photos at low light, there usually still is enough light to allow me to see the subject through an OVF. If it gets too dark, I usually stop taking photos. With my DLSR I tried long exposures in virtual total darkness. I used a higher ISO setting, because otherwise it would have taken hours. The result was quite unusable. A lot of pink light at the edges of the photo. It seems if the light is too low, the noise just get overwhelming. That was quite shocking to me, because with a film camera I never saw that effect.

My problem with EVFs is that they disconnect me from reality. Instead they show my a high resolution copy of reality. With am OVF I still see things with my own eyes. The lenses just bend the light a little, but it is still the original light. The image in an EVF however is the same no matter if you watch it live or watch a recorded video later. I do not want to travel to another country and then only see a digital copy of reality there while I look trough my camera. Actually with a mirrorless camera you do not even look "through" your camera any more. Imagine something very memorable happens while I look at the EVF. Then I only saw a digital copy of it.

It seems these days you have to buy a very expensive medium format camera, if you still want a mirror. That is very sad. On a planet with eight billion people there does not seem to be enough demand for affordable cameras with a mirror any more.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I think the R3 EVF is good, but not terrific. Why? - because there's a delay from you put the VF to your eye until it lights up. And those fractions of a second of a pitch-black VF makes it harder to "drill into" the subject that you want to photograph. For me, it makes shooting motorcycle racing needlessly harder than it should be.
Huh? I've never used the r3 but I can't imagine it being that much slower than my r5. I'm always accidentally activating the EVF and turning off the LCD when manipulating the touchscreen. You don't even have to get that close to the EVF sensor to activate it.

Upvote 0

GMCPhotographics

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 22, 2010
Uk
www.gmcphotographics.co.uk
1. OVF does not have infinite resolution. It is a lens, and if lenses had infinite resolution we would all live in heaven
2. It has no delay but is placed after the moving mechanical mirror.
3. It does not introduce noise, yes, but it is dark and hard to use when it is dark outside.
Also, OVF’s used micro lenses to amplify the light to create a “brighter” viewfinder. The consequence of this was a limiting of seen depth of field. Most Canon OVF’s were dof limited to a max of f4. You literally could not see an 85mm f1.2 nail its focus unless you had a fine precision view finder fitted.
So some things are better and some things are worse.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
As long as the battery life doesn't suffer from this, I'm all for it. The R3's battery performance on a "full health" battery is pretty solid, but once you drop one health bar they seem to go quicker. I have a battery now that has 2 missing bars and it has been retired. On the 1DXII, I'm sure that battery would still be usable.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 4, 2020
EVFs are a solution in search of a problem. OVFs already had infinite resolution and no delay and no noise even in the dark.
I don't even understand the purpose of posting this statement here. The rumor is about EVF specs.

In my opinion, the "EVFs are no good in low light" argument is overblown. In a mirrorless camera, if the EVF can't show it, it's because the sensor can't see it. EVFs in mirrorless cameras let you to change the exposure/aperture/ISO and see the result in real time. Not so with a DSLR OVF. Sure, you can chimp the image after the fact on the rear screen and make adjustments, or use live view, but isn't that just using it as an EVF with a different name?

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The 4000 nits are the brightness of the display in the viewfinder. If you enlarge it, it gets darker. A high peak brightness would be wonderful for seeing bright lights in the viewfinder though. It does not look good if highlights are blown out.

I hardly do burst and although my camera has live view, I hardly ever use it either. I hate the idea that the sensor is warmed up even while you are composing, while a DSLR sensor is just powered for a fraction of a second during the exposure. It seem like a waste of sensor time for me, if 99.9% of the time the image from the sensor is just generated to show it in the EVF.

Those cameras focus too much on sport, people and action. If you do not care about those areas of photography, the negatives of a mirrorless camera weigh much more.

I have serious doubts about the durability of mirrorless cameras. Will they really survive ten or twenty years? There is so much new stuff that could break. The IBIS for example. It is a nice feature, but probably the first thing to break.
I prefer DSLRs as well and hope that Canon makes another one.
That being said, trying to convince mirrorless fans is a lost cause.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
What would be the advantage of a stacked sensor in a DSLR? My understanding is that having a stacked sensor allows for blackout free shooting and less rolling shutter when using an electronic shutter.
A DSLR in Live View is basically a mirrorless camera.
Besides that, it can still use electronic shutter in DSLR mode.
We would still get blackout but we would get fewer rolling shutter artifacts.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
It seems if the light is too low, the noise just get overwhelming. That was quite shocking to me, because with a film camera I never saw that effect.

My problem with EVFs is that they disconnect me from reality. Instead they show my a high resolution copy of reality. With am OVF I still see things with my own eyes. ...
I can fully understand that feeling and that almost philosophical approach.
And to be honest, in good light I would still prefer an OVF, if I could get that on sensor AF at the same time.
In dim light or darkness, the amplification of light helps me to take the photo at all. And here you also have the possibilities to adapt the EVF settings, even though I must admit that I haven't tried much on that.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Also, OVF’s used micro lenses to amplify the light to create a “brighter” viewfinder. The consequence of this was a limiting of seen depth of field. Most Canon OVF’s were dof limited to a max of f4. You literally could not see an 85mm f1.2 nail its focus unless you had a fine precision view finder fitted.
So some things are better and some things are worse.
That’s true, but not only that, on most contemporary dslrs you are looking through a passive lcd screen too. To get the best of an uncorrupted optical view you have to go back to the apex of manual slr design, such as the Pentax ME / MX, Nikon FM / FE, Olympus OM1 / 2 etc. Looking through those with a fast lens is a revelation compared to what we have now.
Even so, I still only really like mirrorless for its ability to be small and handy. Beyond that I’m still happy with my 5DS cameras.

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
So Canon is taking years and years to provide their pro-users with a full pro body hi-res camera and now we are sunk so much that even the rumor sites are posting rumors spec by spec. In the meantime high-end users are walking around with semi-pro camera’s with batterygrips like the R5 or with a mediumres R3. Whilst they could have launched a superfast fullbody highres 50mp body for YEARS already. I don’t get it. Just launch the d*mn 50mpx pro body camera and give users the option to downscale to 25mpx, for press photographers.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
So Canon is taking years and years to provide their pro-users with a full pro body hi-res camera and now we are sunk so much that even the rumor sites are posting rumors spec by spec. In the meantime high-end users are walking around with semi-pro camera’s with batterygrips like the R5 or with a mediumres R3. Whilst they could have launched a superfast fullbody highres 50mp body for YEARS already. I don’t get it. Just launch the d*mn 50mpx pro body camera and give users the option to downscale to 25mpx, for press photographers.
So speaks another individual who somehow knows more about the camera market than the company that dominates that market and has led it for two decades. Bravo!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Huh? I've never used the r3 but I can't imagine it being that much slower than my r5. I'm always accidentally activating the EVF and turning off the LCD when manipulating the touchscreen. You don't even have to get that close to the EVF sensor to activate it.

I've gone from OVF on the 5D to EVF on the R3 - I can safely say that I see no real difference in terms of 'lag' or waiting for it to be ready. Additionally, the low light capability of the R3 EVF made shooting night shots at Le Mans a few weeks ago incredibly easy.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Canon has confirmed (december 2021) that the 1Dx Mk III is the last Canon DSLR.
That is not what they said.
What they said was in Japanese anyway and people are quoting from Google Translate.
It was more in the lines, despite being a DSLR the 1DX III is still the flagship.
The next flagship will not be a DSLR.
I do not think Canon will make another DSLR but they never officially stated it.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0