|RUMOR| EOS A1 Coming Feb 9th

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canon-EOS-A1-Specs-Leaked-Coming-February-9-419054.shtml

Interesting news...of course with a grain of salt...

"So far, all the info we have on Canon EOS-A1 is that it will be a high-end DSLR and it shouldn't be seen as 7D's successor.

According to a post on Chinese forum Xitek, an anonymous source has revealed a few specs for the upcoming Canon EOS-A1 digital SLR model. It seems that EOS-A1 will be more than a high-end DSLR, and it’s likely that this is the rumored EOS flagship camera meant to challenge Nikon's D4s.

Canon EOS-A1 comes with a 36.8MP image sensor, DIGIC 6 image processor, and Dual Pixel CMOS AF, all packed in a tough magnesium alloy body similar with the EOS-1D X. Moreover, the new EOS-A1 seems to have the same 61-point high-density auto focus system as the aforementioned model.

When it comes to video performance, the new Canon model will be capable of recording 4K video footage at 30 frames per second using an 8-bit 4:2:2 lossless output and Canon's Interframe (IPB) and Intraframe (ALL-I) compression formats.

In addition to that, Canon EOS-A1 seems to have a native ISO sensitivity starting from ISO50. The same source states that the new flagship model comes with a 3.2-inch 1.04-million-dot LCD touch screen and built-in Wi-Fi module.

The Canon EOS-A1 is expected to be announced on February 9 at a price that exceeds $8,000 / €5,900. In comparison, the EOS-1D X body is now available for purchase for $6,799 / €5,000.

By the looks of it, this will be an amazing DSLR, but we suggest you take this with a pinch of salt since it comes from an unknown source. It will be interesting to see whether Nikon's D4s manages to keep up. For the moment, there's no information regarding its specs, but it's expected to have a higher fps rate in burst shooting mode, improved video capabilities, and faster AF (autofocus)."

It'll do 4:2:2 4K and cost $8K? Not gonna happen. Not when the C500 costs $20K. Well, ok, so theoretically since 8-bit vs 10-bit, and 30fps vs 60fps. Maybe. But it'll tear into any 1DC sales that exist, given that it only does 4K via JPG @24fps. At $12K.

That said, given Canon's past of crippling the video that their latest generation of DSLRs can do, I highly doubt it. Unless this is going to be a combo of high MPx DSLR & 1DC replacement.

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
Drizzt321 said:
It'll do 4:2:2 4K and cost $8K? Not gonna happen. Not when the C500 costs $20K. Well, ok, so theoretically since 8-bit vs 10-bit, and 30fps vs 60fps. Maybe. But it'll tear into any 1DC sales that exist, given that it only does 4K via JPG @24fps. At $12K.

That said, given Canon's past of crippling the video that their latest generation of DSLRs can do, I highly doubt it. Unless this is going to be a combo of high MPx DSLR & 1DC replacement.

The 1DC is selling? ?????????
Whose buying? ???

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
privatebydesign said:
sanj, a regular poster here, just got one. As did Philip Bloom.

Sanj probably needs it now, not everyone can wait for a mythical camera that may come, or may not come...
Afterall, he works with Sharukh Khan - whose net worth is $600 million.
Philip Bloom has a bunch of cameras doesn't he?

The question was raised to ask... was it a popular seller???
Didn't it start at $15K.... dropped to $12K.... soon to be dropped to $8K...

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I bought it because:
I got it for $1000 cheaper. PLUS 1Battery 2 128gb CF cards and an onboard monitor thrown in for free!!
I also got a confirmed 40 days rental Feb end onwards. Will also eventually sell my 1dx. These factors made it possible for me.

I am shooting a feature in Italy Feb end onwards on Alexia as DOP. The 1dC will work as my second camera. Works well for me as I will use (and get rental) on my Zeiss 15, 35 and 135.

Upvote 0

BL

Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
Jan 3, 2011
mingocr83 said:
"So far, all the info we have on Canon EOS-A1 is that it will be a high-end DSLR

i'm probably dating myself here, but any else have this image come to mind upon reading the thread title? ;D

8250718599_6580d18d73.jpg

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Upvote 0