The EOS 80D Replacement to be a Big Leap Forward [CR2]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Durf said:
(But I do get some darn good bear pics here!) ;)

I get some good beer pics here, too. :D

index.php

Yes, but you have a 1DX.... the 80D has been nerfed by Canon and does not have beer mode....

The 7D2 has it, but it is a rather poor implementation of beer mode... after a couple of beers the pictures get noticeably softer, horizons are not level, and IS fails to keep the image steady.....

Upvote 0

WoodyWindy

On the road again!
Jul 20, 2010
Don Haines said:
<<deleting irrelevant other quotes...>>

But now he can claim special knowledge...... after all, who could have predicted that after the 10D, the 20D, the 30D, the 40D, the 50D, the 60D, the 70D, and the 80D, that the 80D would be replaced by a 90D. INCONCEIVABLE!
Let's not forget, though, that the EOS 10D followed the EOS D30 and EOS D60 (which I owned). Changing numbering schemes is not a new thing with Canon...

Upvote 0
My expectations are quite low:

• Canon will add 4K Video support but just crippled enough not to cannibalize the professional camcorder product lines.
  • For still photography, a new sensor with slightly improved resolution and slightly improved noise characteristics.
  • No major improvements in ergonomics, except maybe a higher resolution LCD display.

However, I would be very happy to be proven wrong with some major improvements like:

• Hybrid viewfinder. Works as optical viewfinder when the mirror is in place, works as an OLED viewfinder when operating the camera in live view mode.
  • Completely new design backlit sensor with more than one additional stop dynamic range.
  • Fully electronic extra fast shutter that enables tripod-less HDR imaging and fast burst operation.
  • Better ergonomics for controlling exposure compensation and/or focus points.
  • Automatic lens AF calibration.
  • Focus peaking in live view and video modes.
  • Sensor based image stabilization. When combined with lens based image stabilization, provide 5 stops of effective IS.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I did not get the 80D because it felt cheap and lightweight to me, not like the solid feel of my old 40D's (I had 5 of them). Now, the 7 series gets the heavy duty bodies. It would be nice to see Canon step up when they put out the replacement. I bought a SL-2 instead of the 80D. I like it, but the lack of AFMA is sometimes a pain. I almost always use it in liveview where focus is more accurate.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Andreos said:
"changes internally at Canon" ???

[CR0]

I hope so. If true, they’ve finally taken to heart what I’ve been saying on this forum for years- disrupt yourselves before the competition does it for you. (One could say they have been a little late to this party.)

And does “future proofing” mean 2.5x crop 4K with DPAF or ACTUAL, usable 4K? One hopes they’ve learned their lesson with the M50.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
I just want the 5DS with wi-fi and a flippy screen... Ok and I would say give me all that stuffed into an SL2 body but I'm not going to ask for miracles.

What we need is a "6DS".
The 5DS has fantastic noise performance, in tests I think it looks better than the 5D4, there's really no need for on-chip ADC as long as Canon can keep a 50MP sensor performing the way that one does.
The 6D2 is a mess for sure, I have no idea how they managed that but if they can keep doing whatever they did with the 5DS they have a winning formula.
Give me that sensor in a tiny plastic body with a flippy screen (and two card slots, please)...
And then sell it for $2,000USD
:) Please?
(That's something they can do now that it's an old sensor, right?)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
efmshark said:
My expectations are quite low:
...just crippled enough not to cannibalize the professional camcorder product lines.

CanonFanBoy lets out a huge sigh, "There's that weird and illogical thinking again. There's that stupid word again. Why do people get so confused about market segmentation? Do they really believe somebody is going to buy an 80D to do what they really need a professional camcorder for? With those XLR outputs, ethernet connector, and all that? That tweeking the 4K on a DSLR is going to destroy another product line?" SMH.

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
snappy604 said:
Sad thing is my wallet was ready for the 6d MkII when it came out... and now it's not :-/

Same. The 6DII was such a poor release it made me look at other brands. Canon can't continue with that approach. With most cameras that disappoint I often think it was a genuine mistake or a lack of technology at the time. With the 6DII it very much felt like Canon testing themselves as to how little they could offer for how much. With the 6DII it was more than intentionally crippled and that's very sad for someone who loved the original and was very excited for a second one.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
9VIII said:
I just want the 5DS with wi-fi and a flippy screen... Ok and I would say give me all that stuffed into an SL2 body but I'm not going to ask for miracles.

What we need is a "6DS".
The 5DS has fantastic noise performance, in tests I think it looks better than the 5D4, there's really no need for on-chip ADC as long as Canon can keep a 50MP sensor performing the way that one does.
The 6D2 is a mess for sure, I have no idea how they managed that but if they can keep doing whatever they did with the 5DS they have a winning formula.
Give me that sensor in a tiny plastic body with a flippy screen (and two card slots, please)...
And then sell it for $2,000USD
:) Please?
(That's something they can do now that it's an old sensor, right?)

The 5DS/R is comparable to the 5DIV for noise from about iso 600 to 6400, where the 5DS stops its native iso. But, at low iso the 5DIV is better. I do love the 5DSR and use it more frequently than my 5DIV. It does need a pair of DIGIC processors to cope with the amount of data to be processed which adds to the cost.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
The Fat Fish said:
Same. The 6DII was such a poor release

The 6DII isn't a camera I would buy, but I think the reputation isn't well deserved. It's a significant upgrade.

* 26 mpx vs 20mpx

* 45 cross points vs 1 (plus 10 normal)

* DPAF

* Higher frame rate

If you were expecting the 6DII to be a 5DIV then guess what, the 5DIV is available for you!

Now, what Canon couldn't help is that Sony released their A7III at around the same price, and the A7III is a hard act to beat.

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
jolyonralph said:
The Fat Fish said:

The 6DII isn't a camera I would buy, but I think the reputation isn't well deserved. It's a significant upgrade.

* 26 mpx vs 20mpx

* DPAF

* Higher frame rate

If you were expecting the 6DII to be a 5DIV then guess what, the 5DIV is available for you!

Now, what Canon couldn't help is that Sony released their A7III at around the same price, and the A7III is a hard act to beat.

It also offered lower dynamic range and no ALL-I video. Sure, they are some upgrades but 5 years worth? No.

The 5DIV is very overpriced in my opinion. It's a $3300 priced camera now out spec'd by a $2000 competitor. This is the heart of the issue for Canon. They offer average features for a really high price meaning poorly featured cameras are also at a high price.

Canon appear to pitch their $3300 camera at the $2000 competitors instead of the $3300 competitors (A7RIII and D850).

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
jolyonralph said:
The Fat Fish said:

* 26 mpx vs 20mpx

* DPAF

* Higher frame rate

And despite being a “poor release”, it sells well and takes great pictures....

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
snappy604 said:
I'm quite happy with the 80D to be honest.. it's a really decent camera.

I had hoped to move to full frame but the 6D MkII seemed a step back. Hopefully this really is a leap forward... but damn it I want to move beyond crop!

As someone who works professionally and owns the 70D 7DMKII 6DMKII, 5DMKIV and used twin 5DMKIII's for 4 years..

The 5DMKIV is the best but my favourite camera of the lot is the 6DMKII. If you like the 80d you will love the 6DMKII.

Don't believe the bad press in real life it is excellent. I pick the 6DMKII over the 5DMKIV in every situation I don't need twin slots which is pretty much everything but weddings and events. First choice for all my personal work.

Absolutely love it. The DR argument is BS really, its a far better than the 5DMKIII IMO.

As long as a 7D body is around it would stop me buying a crop, the crop cameras to me are fairly moot now anyway as with the 6DMKII at 26mp, 5DMKIV at 30 and the 5DSR at 50mp the benefit of crop is even more muddy unless you are on an extreme budget. I would take all of them over a 90D body, the 7D line is different as the only downside is the crop sensor otherwise the body is almost identical.

Upvote 0
tomscott said:
snappy604 said:
I'm quite happy with the 80D to be honest.. it's a really decent camera.

I had hoped to move to full frame but the 6D MkII seemed a step back. Hopefully this really is a leap forward... but damn it I want to move beyond crop!

As someone who works professionally and owns the 70D 7DMKII 6DMKII, 5DMKIV and used twin 5DMKIII's for 4 years..

The 5DMKIV is the best but my favourite camera of the lot is the 6DMKII. If you like the 80d you will love the 6DMKII.

Don't believe the bad press in real life it is excellent. I pick the 6DMKII over the 5DMKIV in every situation I don't need twin slots which is pretty much everything but weddings and events. First choice for all my personal work.

Absolutely love it. The DR argument is BS really, its a far better than the 5DMKIII IMO.

As long as a 7D body is around it would stop me buying a crop, the crop cameras to me are fairly moot now anyway as with the 6DMKII at 26mp, 5DMKIV at 30 and the 5DSR at 50mp the benefit of crop is even more muddy unless you are on an extreme budget. I would take all of them over a 90D body, the 7D line is different as the only downside is the crop sensor otherwise the body is almost identical.

I also shoot both the 80D and 6D2 and using these two cameras together is amazing and they pair so nicely and are so fun to use I personally have no desire what so ever to replace either one, not even with a better camera such as a 5D4.

The image quality I get out of these two cameras is extremely nice and I have no complaints.

All this negative internet crap about either one of these cameras is like blah blah blah and listening to fingernails running across a chalkboard.....

Upvote 0
The Fat Fish said:
Same. The 6DII was such a poor release it made me look at other brands. Canon can't continue with that approach. With most cameras that disappoint I often think it was a genuine mistake or a lack of technology at the time. With the 6DII it very much felt like Canon testing themselves as to how little they could offer for how much. With the 6DII it was more than intentionally crippled and that's very sad for someone who loved the original and was very excited for a second one.

Same. I was itching for FF and would have jumped on the 6Dii when it came out but then I read it had the 80D's focus system in it, all focus points clustered in the middle. I think that's what did it for me, made me look at other brands and have since gotten a Sony and a Fuji. STILL have my 80D up for sale and STILL zero interest in it. Said it before and I'll say it again - a couple of years ago if I put any of my Canon stuff up for sale it was gone in days, now I'm getting no interest from anyone serious. I'd wager if I put my Sony up for sale I'd get a lot of interest and it would be gone soon. How times have changed.

Personally speaking, I am very interested in the next A6x00 and have zero interest in 90D. We can all be pretty sure Canon will offer only a few incremental improvements or features making it somewhere between the A6300 and A6500 in performance. Sony will release something that will be another powerhouse of a camera and offer everything they are capable of putting into a body. Canon? Not so much, can't blur the lines between the immediate model below or the model above.

Upvote 0