A little bit more about the upcoming Canon EOS R6 [CR2]

Nah, the R was a public beta. A very good one but my hunch is that the R and RP will sell out of stock and the line will be numbered from there forward. We might see the body production lines for those being used in other models.
Yup, I'm sure you're right. Just "what if" ing.

Upvote 0
The 3 year old 6D II has 26 megapixels, the R5 is going from the 30 megapixels in the 5DIV up to 45, why would Canon go back to 20 megapixels? Every smartphone will have way more than 20 megapixels by the time this turd of a camera comes out. 20 megapixels lol, this thing better be priced at $699 or no one is buying it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
The 3 year old 6D II has 26 megapixels, the R5 is going from the 30 megapixels in the 5DIV up to 45, why would Canon go back to 20 megapixels? Every smartphone will have way more than 20 megapixels by the time this turd of a camera comes out. 20 megapixels lol, this thing better be priced at $699 or no one is buying it.
Calling an unreleased thing a turd is well, something in itself. Let's remember, 20MP is a CR2.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
Calling an unreleased thing a turd is well, something in itself. Let's remember, 20MP is a CR2.
But the 1Dx Mk III, Canon's flagship camera body, has only 20 MP as well and many photographers are raving about it... The number of MP is not everything!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I'm looking into replacing a Sony A7sii and A6500 that I use for video. Personally I'm a Canon user, I have the EOS R that I love for photography. Canon if you're listening a R5 and a R6 could be my next purchases please announce what their true specs will be. I'm tired of all the speculations!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
But the 1Dx Mk III, Canon's flagship camera body, has only 20 MP as well and many photographers are raving about it... The number of MP is not everything!

we all know megapixels in the 1DX cameras are meaningless. That camera is a sports camera and it’s main thing is speed, not resolution and image quality, 20 megapixels is absurd in a camera for the year 2020 not named the 1DX

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Except for the 20mp sensor, the R6's rumored specs seem to be at least a notch above the R: 12/20 fps, 4K 60fps, IBS, and dual card slots. One possibility is that there is something wrong with the rumored specs. Another is possibility is that Canon thinks that people don't care about mp as we think they do. A third possibility is that there is something special about the 20mp R6 sensor that we don't understand.
If it has a similar sensor to the 1DX markIII it might be a step up in most regards except for resolution. I really consider 20 megapixels to be the sweet spot for most photographers needs. Esp in regards to high ISO image qualit.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
As a professional Wedding/Event Photogrpher this would be perfect! Processing more than 30MP images is ridiculous for a wedding photographer whom shoots thousands (3-6k) at a wedding with 1-2 photographers at a wedding. Wedding album prints max out at 11x14. I'm more interested in post processing faster and having in-viewfinder live exposure adjustment. I used the 5D Mark III and then opted for the (4x) 6D Mark II's one the 5D IV (I just boost all the shadows 10% in post and the images look great). We shoot video as well and I love the 6D image out of the box (I also use at least one C100 Mark II for audio capture and a zoom)...I don't need the earphone jack on the 6D mark II since I just set it on auto and synch it in post with the C100 or zoom)...Canon were jerks for leaving the jack input off the camera though. In camera IS, viewfinder live exposure control, variable ND filter adapter between the lens (add on) and a workable MP count, lower MP also means bigger pixels for better low-light performance, 4k at 60P is great...I also don't plan to sell wedding videos in 4K/8k as it's very processor intensive and multi-cam file edits are nearly impossible unless you spend $10k on the latest core processors with a gazillion RAM. I'd buy 4x of these and sell my current gear. Note I've also been a photojournalist for 10 years and worked for The New York Times, AP, Nat Geo, etc and shot for ABC, Food Network etc..but I hate wasting my life post processing. Don't get me wrong about image quality...if I were filming fro Netflix etc I'd shoot 4k/8k or if I was shooting for galleries or advertisements I'd shoot the highest megapixel camera...but for events/wedding all I need is image stabilization, great exposures and Big Fat Megapixels for low light.

Upvote 0
As a professional Wedding/Event Photogrpher this would be perfect! Processing more than 30MP images is ridiculous for a wedding photographer whom shoots thousands (3-6k) at a wedding with 1-2 photographers at a wedding. Wedding album prints max out at 11x14. I'm more interested in post processing faster and having in-viewfinder live exposure adjustment. I used the 5D Mark III and then opted for the (4x) 6D Mark II's one the 5D IV (I just boost all the shadows 10% in post and the images look great). We shoot video as well and I love the 6D image out of the box (I also use at least one C100 Mark II for audio capture and a zoom)...I don't need the earphone jack on the 6D mark II since I just set it on auto and synch it in post with the C100 or zoom)...Canon were jerks for leaving the jack input off the camera though. In camera IS, viewfinder live exposure control, variable ND filter adapter between the lens (add on) and a workable MP count, lower MP also means bigger pixels for better low-light performance, 4k at 60P is great...I also don't plan to sell wedding videos in 4K/8k as it's very processor intensive and multi-cam file edits are nearly impossible unless you spend $10k on the latest core processors with a gazillion RAM. I'd buy 4x of these and sell my current gear. Note I've also been a photojournalist for 10 years and worked for The New York Times, AP, Nat Geo, etc and shot for ABC, Food Network etc..but I hate wasting my life post processing. Don't get me wrong about image quality...if I were filming fro Netflix etc I'd shoot 4k/8k or if I was shooting for galleries or advertisements I'd shoot the highest megapixel camera...but for events/wedding all I need is image stabilization, great exposures and Big Fat Megapixels for low light.

Ppl are often wasting their time, cause they are spraying instead of doing a photography and bringing home even 10K of images per wedding :)

Upvote 0
I'll throw my voice in the pile and say I like everything about the R6 except the 20MP resolution, and "downgraded" EVF.
The low MP count really has me confused where Canon is aiming to position this camera.

I'm an enthusiast who shoots all types of photos, and am hoping to jump to mirrorless from a 70D. The R5 will be way outside my price range, and the RP just lacks features and feels unrefined.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Forgive me, I never owned a 7D, but weren't the advantages of it that on a budget you could have excellent AF, high fps, and solid build quality? The R6 rumour doesn't give it higher fps than the R5, the build quality sounds lesser, and though nothing has been said about its AF, there's no reason to believe it'll be better. So in what way is it a FF RF equivalent of the 7 series?

Ultimately I feel like it's a fool's errand to make the assumption that the new R lineup will mirror the old DSLR lineup. They won't be analogues of each other, so we're really just speculating. I mean just look at the 6D vs. the 6DII. The 6DII does not have the same rugged construction of the original, but it still fills the same niche. I just think we're all getting wrapped around the axle with where each camera sits. We all will likely be very surprised with how the new lineup looks.

Upvote 0
Ultimately I feel like it's a fool's errand to make the assumption that the new R lineup will mirror the old DSLR lineup. They won't be analogues of each other, so we're really just speculating. I mean just look at the 6D vs. the 6DII. The 6DII does not have the same rugged construction of the original, but it still fills the same niche. I just think we're all getting wrapped around the axle with where each camera sits. We all will likely be very surprised with how the new lineup looks.

Fair enough. I think Canon is leaning into its heritage at the very least - comparisons between the R5 and the 5D series are bound to be made, and I think they want that, because that's a line with a lot of goodwill and respect attached. The lineup will change to some extent (I still don't expect an APS-C R body to reboot the 7 series), but there's already a lot of parallels in the rumours between what's coming and what's been before (and since there are only so many niches, that makes sense, even if it's not entirely deliberate).

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

Well, not everyone is swayed by numbers. As a former 6D owner, with 20 MP, I would definitely prefer that number to the 30 MP that my R has. I don't print larger than 12" x 18" - and based on my own experience with sensors of different sizes, if hand-holding rather than using a tripod, I have never seen an advantage - or more resolution - in a 30, 26, or 24 MPs than a 20 MP sensor. I have seen, despite comments to the contrary, less noise with sensors with larger pixels. Image noise, not pixel level noise. So, in my experience, and for me, 20 MP will be more ideal than 30 or more.

Needless to say, comparing the tiny pixels of a smartphone with a large pixeled FF sensor is silly - as I'm sure you are smart enough to know.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Exactly!

By his logic, all new cell phones are better than the "turd" 1Dx MkIII!

20 MP is fine for a majority of people, including Pros.
Only the majority of new beginners to photographymay get turned off by this so called "low MP" camera.

Upvote 0