An 50.6mp EOS-1 Body Being Explored [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told that Canon is exploring making an EOS-1 style body with the latest (or variation of) 50.6mp sensor by Canon. “Exploring” doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, and it won’t happen before the EOS-1D X Mark II is announced.</p>
<p>The sales of the EOS 5Ds & EOS 5DS R will ultimately decide if Canon makes a higher priced version of the camera. There’s been people over the years that have never felt the amalgamation of the EOS-1 line was going to last forever. There are ergonomics attached to the EOS-1 bodies that a lot of people have a hard time moving away from.</p>
<p>I would suspect what the pros have to say about the EOS 5Ds will have an influence on whether or not such a camera gets produced.</p>

Canon Rumors said:
<p>We’re told that Canon is exploring making an EOS-1 style body with the latest (or variation of) 50.6mp sensor by Canon. “Exploring” doesn’t mean it’s going to happen, and it won’t happen before the EOS-1D X Mark II is announced.</p>
<p>The sales of the EOS 5Ds & EOS 5DS R will ultimately decide if Canon makes a higher priced version of the camera. There’s been people over the years that have never felt the amalgamation of the EOS-1 line was going to last forever. There are ergonomics attached to the EOS-1 bodies that a lot of people have a hard time moving away from.</p>
<p>I would suspect what the pros have to say about the EOS 5Ds will have an influence on whether or not such a camera gets produced.</p>

Presume that ther is a prism viewfinder on it, that your preview image simply cut off the top of the camera.

Unless its my iPad?..

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Don't forget that 1-series bodies have some drool-worthy features unrelated to framerate or an integral grip.

I would give my left nut for spot metering at any AF point. It's the one thing my 5D3 cannot do that I would use instantly and often.

- A
Definitely lots of good stuff beyond just the body style and big higher voltage battery. The viewfinder shutter is another one that I long for on the 5D series, which is what I use for most of my long exposure work. Same goes for the multi-spot metering. The Auto ISO + EC in M mode is certainly another, and I hope that one makes it into the 5Ds range as well.

Upvote 0
IglooEater said:
Is there anyone else who thinks that this is what should have been released *instead of* the 5ds?
Only those of us not wanting Canon to make a lot of money ;). I think the 5D has outsold the 1D X by a huge margin and for most (not all by any means) of the people that the "s" series appeals to, the lower price and smaller body are preferred. I include myself in that group, especially on the price side of things.

I find the 5DIII plenty tough for landscapes, architecture, portraiture, and the like, and can add the grip if I want to. The 1D X toughness and frame rate are a better fit when I do wildlife and sports work, where 18MP is acceptable.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Phil Lowe said:
Just curious about something...Is there any older Canon lens - like the EF100-400L - that will be able to resolve anything close to what a 50.6mp sensor can resolve, or will buying a 50.6mp camera require all new glass?

Any lens will resolve more on a 50MP sensor than a 20MP one, some will resolve much closer to 50 than others but none can resolve the full 50MP.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Explore away. I'm betting against it happening. I agree with everyone the 1 series offers a different experience but is it really worth more than double the price of almost the same camera in a 5DS (given these rumored specs)??

I'll be in line right away for a 1DX2 with a FF version of the 20.2MP DPAF of the 7D2 (larger photosites. Not more, I mean) or an all new FF 24MP DPAF sensor they base on the new T6i rebel (660D)

Will two professional grade 50MP cameras really sell in the same line? Besides, one of the main features of the 1DX is its amazing AF combined with nice high ISO (fast action and sports). .... We already know this new sensor isnt built for the ISOs.

So if the target market is studio/landscapers then why would I spend $7000 for this camera vs $3600 for the 5DS?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
ahsanford said:
Don't forget that 1-series bodies have some drool-worthy features unrelated to framerate or an integral grip.

I would give my left nut for spot metering at any AF point. It's the one thing my 5D3 cannot do that I would use instantly and often.

- A

Probably the main reason I went 1D4 used over 7D2. Metering where you're focusing can be very handy when there is action.

Jack

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
m said:
Phil Lowe said:
Just curious about something...Is there any older Canon lens - like the EF100-400L - that will be able to resolve anything close to what a 50.6mp sensor can resolve, or will buying a 50.6mp camera require all new glass?

They say all L glass since 2010 will do.

ANY L glass (or ANY glass) will resolve better on 50MP vs 20MP. And just like on 20MP, some glass will do more than others. The 20 year old 135 f2 L will wreck this sensor just as much as the brand new 16-35 f4 or 70-200 mkII will

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
instead of making a 5Ds or 5Dsr they should have made a new 1Dx or etc with 50MP better video & 12+fps
can u imagine the sports or wildlife shots you'd get with 50MP and dual digic 6 1 can only imagine but maybe soon they will make 1.
i got a good feeling the 5D4 will be out by nov with a aug announcement

Upvote 0
Phil Lowe said:
...Is there any older Canon lens - like the EF100-400L - that will be able to resolve anything close to what a 50.6mp sensor can resolve...?
There are several old Canon lenses able to show much more detail with a 50 megapixel camera. A brief list:
400mm F5.6L
300mm F4 IS L
200mm F2.8L
180mm F3.5L macro
135mm F2L
100mm F2 USM
100mm F2.8 Macro USM
85mm F1.8 USM
50mm F1.4 USM (when used in F2.8 or more closed)
TS-E24mm F3.5L
TS-E17mm F4L

Using the old Canon 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L you will see a small increase sharpness in a 50 megapixel camera.

Upvote 0