Canon’s next RF mount camera is in the field

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I see Canon learned nothing from the failures of the EOS-M line. We’re going to have 3 APS-C camera bodies and only 2 RF-S lenses that cover the same focal lengths. Give us an 11-22, 22mm and 32mm as soon as possible. Port over the same designs again because the EF-M lenses were excellent. Then get us a 56mm and a 15-45 f/4 or f/2.8. PLEASE start weather sealing these things like Fuji does with all its lenses.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
That was tried before. Was not really liked by vloggers/live streamers. Doesnt work very well when camera mounted on a tripod or. Def dont want that screen at the bottom when doing gimbal calibration.
I believe it really wouldn't work for vloggers, no doubt. But also I stated that I wish and that this was just for me! But maybe Canon or any other manufacturer could release different kinds of screen mechanisms which are custom-made/ specialized for their target group:

1. flip-tilt screen like on the R/ R5/ R6 for prosumers
2. flip screen made for vloggers
3. Z9 kind of flip screen for wildlife shooters

That would be a great way to differentiate their camera lineup. Only downside would be: three types of screen lead to higher costs in manufacturing.

Upvote 0
The RF16mm STM is quite discreet already. But an EF-M 22mm type of discreet would be even better of course :)
Somewhat discreet at 69x40mm but not a general street photography focal length
I was think more of a RF version of the EF40mm pancake (68x22mm) at almost half the length of the RF16mm. Adapting it to R mount doubles the size/weight and cost unfortunately. An RF40mm pancake would end up being my lens cap ie always on.

Upvote 0
But an RF-S 2.0 22 derived from the EF-M 2.0 22 might do the trick, very pancakey - and with an R7 it is more lenscappy.
Yes, a RF version that would be ~35mm focal length would be useful (but not crop). The length of the EFm 22mm is about the same as the EF40mm @~22mm. A pancake would basically be the same depth as the grip!

Upvote 0
... the camera will use a different kind of vari-angle LCD screen.
I know that screen articulation implementation is a Marmite thing - you either love it or hate it. As a photographer I have always preferred the fully articulated screens, that are more typically enjoyed by videographers, over flip-up designs (although I more typically use fixed-screen cameras). However, I will be interested to see what Canon have designed, not least because they could be test-bedding a screen concept similar to one that will be implemented in the 'R1' (although I would be very happy with the R3 solution). Ultimately though, I do not fall in the sale demographic for this camera!
Hate marmite but vegemite is great when applied discreetly!

No real perfect solution for vlogging... either the hotshoe is blocked with a flip over the top screen, or the mic/etc ports are blocked for a vari-angle articulating screen, or flip under screen is blocked by the tripod. The first is more "natural" for vloggers to flick their eyes to rather than the side for viewers.

As a landscaper, the current articulating screen is perfect for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm definitely on board with the smaller body, smaller lenses movement. There's no shortage of bodies for pro and prosumer uses. Very often I wanna grab a nice little almost pocketable camera with a nice sensor and good optics, for general travel/family/events, and the smaller the better. I end up grabbing my T2i with a pancake way more often than my 80D, each time guilt-tripping myself for leaving a better camera at home. It's a disappointment the M line is getting discontinued, as an M6II or III was probably my next move (was waiting for IBIS). I'd like to think Canon can come up with a small/light package, but the physics of that RF mount are not encouraging.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I'm definitely on board with the smaller body, smaller lenses movement. There's no shortage of bodies for pro and prosumer uses. Very often I wanna grab a nice little almost pocketable camera with a nice sensor and good optics, for general travel/family/events, and the smaller the better. I end up grabbing my T2i with a pancake way more often than my 80D, each time guilt-tripping myself for leaving a better camera at home. It's a disappointment the M line is getting discontinued, as an M6II or III was probably my next move (was waiting for IBIS). I'd like to think Canon can come up with a small/light package, but the physics of that RF mount are not encouraging.
After spending Saturday walking around and photographing a local historical living village, I'm sold on the size and weight of the R7. The M5 feels too small now, especially the grip. However, I don't like the Tracking AF. It solves a problem I don't have most of the time but interferes with most of my photography. The tracking frame moves when I don't want it to, even with Subject Tracking off. I want the tracking frame to stay in the middle of the viewfinder image, all day long.

Upvote 0
I see Canon learned nothing from the failures of the EOS-M line. We’re going to have 3 APS-C camera bodies and only 2 RF-S lenses that cover the same focal lengths. Give us an 11-22, 22mm and 32mm as soon as possible. Port over the same designs again because the EF-M lenses were excellent. Then get us a 56mm and a 15-45 f/4 or f/2.8. PLEASE start weather sealing these things like Fuji does with all its lenses.
"Failures" lol. They learned they can sell a lot of cameras without needing to produce a big range of dedicated or high end lenses. I would expect them to release some of the other M lenses as RF-S because of the minimal development costs, but beyond that I think you misunderstand who they aim these things at. You want higher end, you use RF or adapted EF.

(If they won't put weather sealing in consumer superteles that you might expect to use in rain like the RF 800 f/11, I think there's no chance the APS-C ones will get it).

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
To change the subject slightly, do you think Canon will introduce a 1-stop speed booster for the APS-C R-mount cameras like they have available for the C70? Doing the math, with a 1.6X crop factor, they could conceivably do a 1-1/3 stop booster.
Speedboosters for the C70 make sense because they want videographers to adopt the platform, and film production has budgets, etc. Speedboosters for RF-S would reduce the incentive to upgrade to full frame glass. What's their incentive?

Upvote 0
After spending Saturday walking around and photographing a local historical living village, I'm sold on the size and weight of the R7. The M5 feels too small now, especially the grip. However, I don't like the Tracking AF. It solves a problem I don't have most of the time but interferes with most of my photography. The tracking frame moves when I don't want it to, even with Subject Tracking off. I want the tracking frame to stay in the middle of the viewfinder image, all day long.
Maybe you move it with your nose or cheek on the display?

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Maybe you move it with your nose or cheek on the display?
The display screen is toward the camera body. I've discovered that the problem occurs much more frequently if I'm not gentle enough in rotating the display and pressing it toward the body,

Update: What i really want is a third position on the Subject Tracking menu item which keeps the tracking frame centered.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Speedboosters for the C70 make sense because they want videographers to adopt the platform, and film production has budgets, etc. Speedboosters for RF-S would reduce the incentive to upgrade to full frame glass. What's their incentive?
Agreed. So Metabones it is. I own one (1.4x) to attach EF lenses to an M5. It's pretty erratic but the image quality is better than I expected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The display screen is toward the camera body. I've discovered that the problem occurs much more frequently if I'm not gentle enough in rotating the display and pressing it toward the body,

Update: What i really want is a third position on the Subject Tracking menu item which keeps the tracking frame centered.
In the menu you can setup the touch control: standard - sensitive - off
Have tried to switch it off?
I can only tell from the R5, guessing it is the same for R7.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
In the menu you can setup the touch control: standard - sensitive - off
Have tried to switch it off?
I can only tell from the R5, guessing it is the same for R7.
That fixed my problem but I think disabling the touch screen will create more problems than it solves. I think I'll just be gentle and complain to Canon.

Upvote 0