Canon Adds EOS R50 and EOS R8 to the Growing EOS R Mirrorless Camera System

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Not really. Your can use RF-S and EF/EF-S/RF Canon lenses and 3rd party EF but Canon doesn't address the UWA focal range needed by R mount crop sensors.
For R7, the general high end use is "reach" / working distance etc but what do they use if they want UWA? With my 7D+24-105/4L my second lens was EF-S10-22mm which was perfect.

This is now the 3rd RF-S body but still no UWA lens.
I would have expected kit lenses (tick) and UWA as the other focal ranges are covered.
Repackaging the EF-M 11-22mm or the EF-S10-22mm would seem to be simple solutions to me.

Good wine takes time :) .

Upvote 0
For me, a new full frame R OR cropped camera to replace my 6D and 7D2 without IBIS is a deal breaker. I'm in my 70s and have an EF400 f5.6 and EF200mm f2.8. I need IBIS (or a body building program.....) An R50 to replace my SL1 as a walkaround camera might be possible, depending on the viewfinder. However, I'm not sure I'd give up my EFS18-55 f5.6 for an f6.3 lens. (I'm not sure I'd buy ANY f6.3 or up lens) And not sure I'd buy an R50 plus an adapter to use the EFS lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Where's the m6 II continuation, when you need one? Also - could anyone please explain to me, the nomeclature mess? So R3, R5, R8 are full frame. Why the R7 is APS-C? Could not just Canon name it differently? R50 and R10 are APS-C, there's a zero in their name, but that could mean a "lesser" camera. Apart from that - those recently released cameras are visually almost identical, a bit difficult to distinguish them at first sight ....

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
For me, a new full frame R OR cropped camera to replace my 6D and 7D2 without IBIS is a deal breaker. I'm in my 70s and have an EF400 f5.6 and EF200mm f2.8. I need IBIS (or a body building program.....) An R50 to replace my SL1 as a walkaround camera might be possible, depending on the viewfinder. However, I'm not sure I'd give up my EFS18-55 f5.6 for an f6.3 lens. (I'm not sure I'd buy ANY f6.3 or up lens) And not sure I'd buy an R50 plus an adapter to use the EFS lenses.
I can only say the adaptor works very well (I was pleasantly surprised by it on my EOS R). It might be worth trying it on the R50 to see how it feels in hand.

Like you, I'm hankering for IBIS, but if you're not used to it (and I'm not), it becomes a difficult choice between (for eg) the R6 II and it's much cheaper (and lighter) cousin the R8.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Where's the m6 II continuation, when you need one? Also - could anyone please explain to me, the nomeclature mess? So R3, R5, R8 are full frame. Why the R7 is APS-C? Could not just Canon name it differently? R50 and R10 are APS-C, there's a zero in their name, but that could mean a "lesser" camera. Apart from that - those recently released cameras are visually almost identical, a bit difficult to distinguish them at first sight ....
The R7 and R50 are 'copies' on the 7DII and M50II, so they kept their number. Personally, I find the R7 is more like the 90D, but Canon marketing disagrees :)

I'm very curious what the R9 will be, I'll keep hoping for an no-EVF M-sized camera :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I don't know what or how you shoot and so whether the venerable EF 400mm L f/5.6 is adequate for your needs and what degree of image stabilization you require - but IBIS is not very effective for supertelephotos. I suggest you try out an R50 with the RF 100-400mm as you might be more than surprised how that very light and inexpensive combination will perform in AF, IQ and IS at f/8. If you are reluctant not to go above f/5.6 and can manage with your 400, then maybe you should just stick with your present gear.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I replaced my 77D with an EOS RP just under a year ago and I love the results I can get with the RP and RF lenses. The RP is far and way the best and most enjoyable camera I have owned in 50 years of photography. It has injected new enthusiasm into picture making for me. I love the colours, the bokeh and the ease of capturing images that I was too incompetent to capture before. The 77D (with EF-S 17-55 2.8) was an improvement over the 700D I had previously, but the RP and RF lenses are a different league altogether.

Small size and weight is an important consideration because I take my camera climbing, and I am addicted to FF now, especially for low light, low noise, so the R8 is very interesting.

In addition, the R8's AI focus is a compelling draw, though the upgrade cost is a bit of a barrier as the RP was a bargain. I'm used to packing batteries, so not worried about battery life (tho obviously longer would be welcome).

I use my 16mm F2.8 with no IS in low light and lose v few images through shake, so IBIS is not of concern to me (tho if it was free I wouldn't turn it down)

Overall : I am saving up to replace my RP with an R8. An easy decision.

Upvote 0
The only negative I have re the R8 is the change to a multi-function hotshoe, which means I need to add an adaptor (more weight and bulk) to use my existing (rather heavy) speedlites.

I'd also love a pop-up flash, tho that's not a big issue. I'm not sure why Canon stopped putting pop up flash on FF cameras - my old 500N 35mm had one. Really useful for the occasional fill-in, tho the better dynamic range of the RP means I havent really missed it recently.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The only negative I have re the R8 is the change to a multi-function hotshoe, which means I need to add an adaptor (more weight and bulk) to use my existing (rather heavy) speedlites. [...]
Your speedlites will work fine without the adapter, the adapter is only for preserving weather sealing. I didn't have any functional issues with a rented R7 and my EL100 and GP-E2. The only 'issue' I encountered was that that R7 hot shoe was very tight to the point where I started wondering if that amount of force was really needed.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
The only negative I have re the R8 is the change to a multi-function hotshoe, which means I need to add an adaptor (more weight and bulk) to use my existing (rather heavy) speedlites.

I'd also love a pop-up flash, tho that's not a big issue. I'm not sure why Canon stopped putting pop up flash on FF cameras - my old 500N 35mm had one. Really useful for the occasional fill-in, tho the better dynamic range of the RP means I havent really missed it recently.
I agree with you on the RP; with small lenses it’s a delight to handle. Regarding pop up flash on a FF, I think Canon believe that if you’re happy with the harsh, direct fill of a pop up flash you’d be better off saving your bucks and use crop. I agree.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Your speedlites will work fine without the adapter, the adapter is only for preserving weather sealing. I didn't have any functional issues with a rented R7 and my EL100 and GP-E2. The only 'issue' I encountered was that that R7 hot shoe was very tight to the point where I started wondering if that amount of force was really needed.
That’s true for the R8 multifunction shoe, but NOT for the R50. The latter only accepts new multifunction shoe native flashes (of which there are zero today, though the EL-5 is coming soon). Using old (aka all current) flashes will require the adapter for the R50.

• Wow
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I am not sure about the R8 but the R50 is missing pins for a traditional speed-light and would need an adapter.
It will not work the same way as the R7.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I am not sure about the R8 but the R50 is missing pins for a traditional speed-light and would need an adapter.
It will not work the same way as the R7.
The R8 does have the regular pins. I just finished reading the R8 specs on the Canon website when I came across the post I responded to.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The R50 + the RF 24-240mm makes for a pretty nice wildlife setup for just under $1600. Great size for a travel camera, too.
Substitute R8 or R7 for R50, and I'll agree that they'd make a nice affordable one-lens wildlife and travel set-up. At a higher price, but well worth saving a bit longer for.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Your EF400 and EF200 are both excellent lenses, but IBIS won't help you much unless your have a remarkably steady hand. Look up articles on OIS vs IBIS and you will see why. Here is an example https://www.learnphotographyskills.com/ois-vs-ibis-which-is-better/ . Until you have worked with some of the slower RF lenses with the new AF system, you will not understand the benefits. For example, the 600 and 800 f/11 sound a bit like a joke coming from DSLR land, but both work amazingly well on either FF or crop R bodies even with extenders. If you use the relatively fast lenses you have to capture high speed motion or provide extreme isolation of subjects, then keep them for that, but for just about everthing else, something like the RF 100-400 will be lighter and usable in more situations. If you want to replace the 7D2, go with an R7 for eqivalent (but much updated) features. From the 6D, you could go with either an R8 or R6 II depending on how much capability you want to add. In all three cases, the AF is in a totally different league from what you are used to and dynamic range is also hugely improved.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

fastprime

R5 | R50
Feb 10, 2021
I'm an R5 owner with multiple RF L and STM lenses. I want a smaller body that could always be out and ready to shoot whatever silly thing my kiddo is doing in the moment, as well as something that I could just throw in the car on a park trip.

I went ahead and preordered the R50 since its price and size are perfect. Kinda rolling the dice on if it'll perform for what I need, but I feel like I made the right decision.

Upvote 0

kmrahe

EOS M50 Mark II
Feb 2, 2023
You picked it over the R10 ?
Will the R10 survive? I thought there was a good chance Canon would never make something close to the M50 in price and capabilities but with an RF mount precisely because it would cannibalize R10 sales. The difference between the R10 and the M50 was always much greater in terms of price than in terms of capability. Now the R50 has shrunk both gaps a bit, the capability one more than the price one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0