Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There's too many assumptions :)
But if they're all true, then again, raw file bitness refers to the content not to the container. There are container types used in CPUs but there's nothing really that's 16 bits in the CR3 files that would refer to pixels. When processing pixel raw data, the software would actually use 16 or 32 bit integer types or 32-bit float type.
For processing, yes, for storage, no. Have a look at MDAT and CMP1 at https://github.com/lclevy/canon_cr3
The header fields do imply that CR3 files can allow arbitrary bit depths, so it shouldn’t need changes for 16 bit pixel data.

Upvote 0
For processing, yes, for storage, no. Have a look at MDAT and CMP1 at https://github.com/lclevy/canon_cr3
The header fields do imply that CR3 files can allow arbitrary bit depths, so it shouldn’t need changes for 16 bit pixel data.
Pixel data (digital numbers) is compressed in CR3, so talking about 16-bit containers for 14-bit numbers in the raw files is absolutely meaningless which I tried to point out above in the thread.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I just came out of a meeting for agencies covering the Olympics and none of us have had enough time to put the R1 debugged through any formal worlflow and the networking issues were not even covered yet. Be back here after the Olympics to let you how the early adopters did.
So you've had hands on the R1?

Upvote 0
Or even worse, how did take amazing bird pictures with only 16 MP Nikon D4S? Oh I know!! I either got closer to the subject or purchase a longer lens. Learning how to approach wildlife is a very good thing to learn.

Good, continue to use the D4S cause you know, it takes "amazing" pictures. why even upgrade to an R3? I'm curious?

I love how people tell me what I need when I never asked you to tell me what I need. And might wanna share your number so I can reach you next time I'm out photographing a Bull on the other side of a bog, you know, so you can tell me how I can get closer with my RF600/4. You'd be a great help with your wisdom.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And might wanna share your number so I can reach you next time I'm out photographing a Bull on the other side of a bog, you know, so you can tell me how I can get closer with my RF600/4. You'd be a great help with your wisdom.
Gee, you make it sound impossible. I was sure I heard about something that might help. Was it a tele-porter? No, that's not it. Tele...something. I'll give it some time. My memory isn't what it used to be.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Gee, you make it sound impossible. I was sure I heard about something that might help. Was it a tele-porter? No, that's not it. Tele...something. I'll give it some time. My memory isn't what it used to be.
I would phrase it closer to "the attitude sounds impossible, " and most people would consider what I think might help an insult.

Upvote 0

cooldood

Bird Mainiac
May 16, 2023
Maybe?
7nfIPYKIYVIg5LZXIQG5WZvUlesYUsaFWuj6chCnHPhGoO3FpW1hIZgwi5WqflkEVgXP1ifNBg=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
So why would anyone change his R5 for a R1?

I don't suspect that's Canon's intent. Likely some people will add R1 to R5, but not change R5 to R1.

Since the 1Dsiii left production, the 5 series cameras have been where Canon used its highest resolution sensors.

And only 30mp? WHYYY???

That's 50% more than any prior 1-series camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
This is not a real gamechanger. And only 30mp? WHYYY???
Integrated Grip
Stacked Sensor
Pre-capture
Much faster read-out speed (about 20x faster)
Much higher FPS
Pre-Capture
Faster autofocus w/ AI recognition
Improved focus tracking
Faster flash sync

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Integrated Grip
Stacked Sensor
Pre-capture
Much faster read-out speed (about 20x faster)
Much higher FPS
Pre-Capture
Faster autofocus w/ AI recognition
Improved focus tracking
Faster flash sync
You left something off your list:
  • Robust enough that it can be used to bash trolls in the head

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
5 series and 1 series cameras are completely different beasts, intended for different audiences.
There is no expectation that one would change their R5 for an R1.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
You're not being imaginative enough. 30MP at 120FPS, right? Now add a composite high resolution mode using sophisticated sensor movement, four times the resolution at 1/4 the speed. Would 120MP at 30FPS be good enough? However, the current R5 system and the 80MP mode in the OMD OM-1 don't tolerate subject or shooter motion very well. So,the OM-1 has a 50MP handheld mode which might give 75MP at 30FPS in the R1. And Canon has had 4 years to look at what Olympus/OMD has been doing and to do it better.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0