Canon EOS R1 Spotted in the wild at the Monaco GP

More likely the driver for the decision was not technical. If the camera does 120 fps at 24 MP, it could have done 80 fps at 36 MP. If the target audience wanted more MP, they could have had it while still getting double anyone’s fps.
That 120fps is low-res jpeg only, as far as I understand. It can be shot at less than 14-bit readout.
The actual 14-bit readout speed is the most important metric in the race, I think.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
1Dx mk1 was 18MP vs the 22 MP of the 5D mk3, a minor 20% definition increase.

The gap increased with the 30 MP 5D4. The gap further increased with the 45 MP R5 and is now huge. But it was not originally the case.
It also went down 3 MP from the 21 MP of the 1Ds3 released 4 years earlier, so even in the 1st 1DX Canon wasn't focused on resolution compared to one of its predecessors. (Canon marketed the 1DX as a successor to both the 1D4 and 1Ds3).

There was also the 5Ds/5DsR at 50 MP (still the highest MP DSLR ever released from any brand), so the gap right now actually has narrowed a bit compared to the 1DX2 at 20 MP vs 5DsR at 50 MP.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Let me get this straight. Canon was developing a 24 MP, integrated grip camera in 2000 and planning to launch is as the R1. Then, when they saw Sony and Nikon’s higher MP cameras, Canon panicked and renamed that 24 MP camera the R3, because they knew it couldn’t compete as the R1.

They immediately started developing a new camera as the replacement R1, and now it’s finally ready to compete with Sony and Nikon…and it has, wait for it, a 24 MP sensor.

Seriously, is cogitation really that hard?
I could not have said it better myself. Thank you.

Upvote 0
It is so silly.
When Canon announced R3, people said it is R1.
Now Canon announced R1, they say it is R3 mkii.
At least Canon doesn't release similar model so fast to make people confused.
I don't think the model name is important for photographers.
Just like Nikon photographers would choose Z8 more than Z9 because of the price and weight.

For me, if R1 really can shot 6K 120fps and 16 bit. It is more powerful than A9 mkiii. Global shutter is meaningless. Canon had one but slower speed.

People can ask Sony pro photographers, most still use A1.

Upvote 0
It also went down 3 MP from the 21 MP of the 1Ds3 released 4 years earlier, so even in the 1st 1DX Canon wasn't focused on resolution compared to one of its predecessors. (Canon marketed the 1DX as a successor to both the 1D4 and 1Ds3).

There was also the 5Ds/5DsR at 50 MP (still the highest MP DSLR ever released from any brand), so the gap right now actually has narrowed a bit compared to the 1DX2 at 20 MP vs 5DsR at 50 MP.
All very good points.

I still wishes the 1D would be at or beyond the 5 series definition. That would give me an excuse to buy it.

The new larger EVF looks really comfortable though, can't wait to try it.

Upvote 0
Isn't it amazing that we are nearly half way through 2024 and STILL the only camera with a 2tb internal hard drive is a Hasselblad?

Based on what has been spilled thus far, I'm not impressed... And really, one of the leaked photos is using a 50+ year old FD film camera lens... REALLY?!? (Face Palm)!

Upvote 0
Isn't it amazing that we are nearly half way through 2024 and STILL the only camera with a 2tb internal hard drive is a Hasselblad?

Based on what has been spilled thus far, I'm not impressed... And really, one of the leaked photos is using a 50+ year old FD film camera lens... REALLY?!? (Face Palm)!

I don't think putting an oven inside a camera such as this is a good idea.

I don't see anything wrong using a classic manual focus lens either. I use the LTM 50 1.2 on the R3. The flare and character flaws you can't get in new lenses can be fun.

image.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
That\'s a R3 Mark II, for me that confirm R3 was suppose to be the R1 and Z9 and A1 kills that release
Sony calls their A1 the flagship with 50mp and A9iii with 24mp.
Canon calls R1 the flagship with 24mp and R5ii with 45mp (rumoured).
Is that an issue to anyone what a manufacturer calls a model a flagship or not?
Frankly, the segmentation looks similar although the form factor is very different.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
R1_001.jpg

This photo looks almost like a render haha. Great to see the vertical grip mirrors the standard one almost perfectly.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Really good ergonomic choices made — most notably, there is now a bar to fasten your strap to on the underside of the camera. Much better positioning if you go back and forth between between portrait and landscape, and it also keeps the lens down instead of sticking out.

Dedicated white balance button is really nice for video.

Locking hotshoe and battery door covers are also extremely welcome.
About "lens sticking out": I usually wear the camera reversed with the standard strap. The lens looks down and camera and lens can be weared partially hidden between arm and body. But this works well with smaller cameras.
With EOS R1 it might add sume bumps in the (human) body with the "pentaprism hump" of the (camera) body.

Upvote 0
\"interesting window beside the LAN light\"
My take:
It is a TOF distance sensor.
(1) if the top rectangular window above the EVF lens (visible if you brighten the image) is a tiny camera for eye tracking AF purposes there was no space in the EVF region for a distance sensor. So it moved to an alternative position. The deep rect. tube around the EVF might be a hint to an eye tracker because it allows for perfect conditions to record and interpred the eyes direction.
(2) If the above mentioned rectangular window is a distance sensor (no eye tracking) there might be two independent sensors for switching EVF and display.

Fun idea: A selfie cam for short video notes for the photographers themselves and maybe for additional video stuff. 300mm lenses aren\'t that easy for that except you have veeeerryyyy loooong arms ;)

Upvote 0
[...] Even the 24-105/4 can resolve 2-pixel-wide lines at 45MP at quite high contrast... and that's over 50lp/mm. And it's the worst lens RF I've tested! [...]
I just bought that lens two days before. And you say it's the worst lens - should I send it back?
Just kidding:
It isn't the best lens resolution wise, checked it with the-digital-picture.com 's excellent tools.
But it is the best compromise for me and residing on the R6 ii the resolution is absolutely fine for 24 MPix and the 8 MPix of 4k video.
Waited for an constant aperture standard zoom (video!) for M, than EF-S so long. Nothing happened. The solution was to use 35mm sensors and get that lens finally.

Upvote 0