Canon EOS R1 Spotted in the wild at the Monaco GP

If this is based on the SN plate on the bottom, the R3 also says 15.0V from what I can see.
The 15.0V is the input (charging) voltage - not the battery voltage.

The batteries for the integrated vertical grips use 3 cells in series using LithiumIon chemistry, which is why you see 3 * 3.6-3.7V = 10.8V on the LP-E19 (R3) and 11.1V on the older LP-E4N (1Dx) batteries. The batteries for the other cameras used 2 cells in series, hence the 7.4V working voltage.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I’m secretly hoping the resolution will be higher than rumoured.
I love my R3 to bits and the files are unbelievably sharp when using electronic shutter, but when I have time to set up a shot and can use the R5, the extra detail is very welcome.
Surely, after all this time, a small bump in resolution to at least match the Z9 should be expected.

Upvote 0
I’m secretly hoping the resolution will be higher than rumoured.
I love my R3 to bits and the files are unbelievably sharp when using electronic shutter, but when I have time to set up a shot and can use the R5, the extra detail is very welcome.
Surely, after all this time, a small bump in resolution to at least match the Z9 should be expected.

Can I interest you in a copy of Topaz Labs Photo AI?

I was at El Classico a few weeks ago, of course I look at the photographer areas. I saw 2 black lenses in a sea of red ring white lenses. A few Sony's splattered around. Canon isn't competing with Nikon. One of the Nikon cameras was a D6.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

The batteries for the integrated vertical grips use 3 cells in series using LithiumIon chemistry, which is why you see 3 * 3.6-3.7V = 10.8V on the LP-E19 (R3) and 11.1V on the older LP-E4N (1Dx) batteries. The batteries for the other cameras used 2 cells in series, hence the 7.4V working voltage.

Thanks, I updated this point on the post.

Upvote 0
Honestly, the movement of the trash bin offset from the other buttons is a nice touch. With the number of times I’ve been using my camera in pitch black and tried to zoom into an image on the back of the camera but got the trash instead, this would be a welcome addition.

Upvote 0
Honestly, the movement of the trash bin offset from the other buttons is a nice touch. With the number of times I’ve been using my camera in pitch black and tried to zoom into an image on the back of the camera but got the trash instead, this would be a welcome addition.

I too have noticed some of the subtle things... and they have reminded me of a few R3 annoyances. I have popped the card door open a few times.

Upvote 0
But honestly if one wants a rugged, high MP body for wildlife you should be switching to Nikon with a Z9 and lens selection geared to wildlife.
A lot more folks seem to go for the Z 8 which the R5 II specs would outmatch.
Also if Canon comes out with the RF 200-500 f/4 and the 1.0x-1.4x-2.0x Extender then I would give the lens edge to Canon.
Nikon would still have the edge in light weight, mid priced primes but zoom lenses tend to be more useful.
I would still like to see an RF 600 f/6.3 DO from Canon but I have no interest in prime lenses like the 400 f/4.5 or the 800 f/6.3 PF vs the RF100-500 or RF 200-800.

Upvote 0
It's a nice niche camera. But flagship? 24MP can't be your flagship in 2020 . . . much much less 2024. Heck, iPhones are over 40MP these days! (Even APPLE knows 24MP isn't enough anymore!) This is an embarrassment. Worst of all . . . Canon KNEW you couldn't have a 24MP "flagship" four years ago!
Not sure what kind of iPhone you have but they have decided 24mp is enough. The standard image of the brand new iPhone 15 pro max is 24mp. It uses a 12mp image (what the sensor resolution is effective as it is a quad bayer) and stacks it with a 48mp image using the quad bayer layout and a demosaic image process. These sensors use the quad bayer for a little bit more detail yes, but also for an effective quad pixel autofocus. So this 24mp R1 sensor if apple marketed it would be a 96mp beast that bins down to 24mp to give you the performance and good detail. If your saying this then the sony a1, a7rV, nikon z8,z9 are all bad cause even samsung knows that only 200mp is enough. The $50k+ Phase One camera known for some of, if not, the best detail/image quality in any camera is lacking at only 150mp. That's an entire a1 less.

How embarrassing /s

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

You are quite right. I was just mentioning that this is the same as R3.

Charging voltage is also a dubious method to judge what the voltage used is though. Having to change voltage too much leads to inefficiencies which can cause more heat than needed. It's why some laptop manufacturers have kept voltages at around 20v to limit heat. This doesn't stop them from going up to 48V though

Upvote 0
Regarding the "The battery voltage seems to show 15v, which will probably mean faster charging for the new battery. We'd be surprised if it wasn't the same form factor as the LP-E19"

Here's underneath my R3 - is this not the same?

IMG_1718.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Isn't it amazing that we are nearly half way through 2024 and STILL the only camera with a 2tb internal hard drive is a Hasselblad?

Based on what has been spilled thus far, I'm not impressed... And really, one of the leaked photos is using a 50+ year old FD film camera lens... REALLY?!? (Face Palm)!

Thank god! We don't want a fragile and soldered SSD inside a professional camera that will need to be replaced in 2-3 years, together with the whole motherboard for $5K.

Upvote 0
You are quite right. I was just mentioning that this is the same as R3.

Charging voltage is also a dubious method to judge what the voltage used is though. Having to change voltage too much leads to inefficiencies which can cause more heat than needed. It's why some laptop manufacturers have kept voltages at around 20v to limit heat. This doesn't stop them from going up to 48V though
The change to switch-mode power supplies have given pretty awesome efficiencies, so I'd say that the heat from SMPS'es are a pretty moot point.

Upvote 0