Canon EOS R1 Spotted in the wild at the Monaco GP

It's a nice niche camera. But flagship? 24MP can't be your flagship in 2020 . . . much much less 2024. Heck, iPhones are over 40MP these days! (Even APPLE knows 24MP isn't enough anymore!) This is an embarrassment. Worst of all . . . Canon KNEW you couldn't have a 24MP "flagship" four years ago! Why was the original R1 labeled "R3"? Why did they deny the "R3" was their flagship? Because every other manufacturers' "flagship" has twice the resolution.

You can talk "benefits of a low res sensor" all day . . . but it's an excuse. No amount of AI can give a low res image the beauty and detail of a 45MP image. Just not possible.
Stop the bs. The 40mp from your iPhone will be mushy when look at 100%. And Topaz works well for m43, let alone FF/APS-C.

R3 has less MP & no 8K when compared to a1 amd Z8/Z9, but pretty much slams down the competition in other areas such as AF and 4K video work. Right now only a9iii is faster on the burst with the sacrifice of low iso performance. For a 2021 camera, it is not a bad product as everyone else insists.

It's too early to call guilty for R1. Save your bashing after R1's specs are announced.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Can I interest you in a copy of Topaz Labs Photo AI?

I was at El Classico a few weeks ago, of course I look at the photographer areas. I saw 2 black lenses in a sea of red ring white lenses. A few Sony's splattered around. Canon isn't competing with Nikon. One of the Nikon cameras was a D6.
I have used topaz and DXO for a while. It’s great what you can achieve with software these days but it doesn’t beat real detail, and I’m speaking from an R5 and GFX 100 perspective. Horses for courses but I don’t get how or why the R1 wouldn’t be able to match an older Z9 in the resolution department.
Now of course if it’s sports and sports only and all one is interested in is a football player filling the frame or a car, why not, but the wildlife photographer in me feels left out!

Upvote 0
I have used topaz and DXO for a while. It’s great what you can achieve with software these days but it doesn’t beat real detail, and I’m speaking from an R5 and GFX 100 perspective. Horses for courses but I don’t get how or why the R1 wouldn’t be able to match an older Z9 in the resolution department.
Now of course if it’s sports and sports only and all one is interested in is a football player filling the frame or a car, why not, but the wildlife photographer in me feels left out!

Because Canon doesn't have to buy from Sony. Nikon is also competing just to be relevant. The internet is just regurgitating the same stuff they always have.

On the flip side, I loved when the 5D Mark II launched with 21mp and people lost their minds because their 512mb CF cards were useless!

Nothing changes.

Upvote 0
Not if the R5 II rumored specs are true.
It beats out the a1, Z 9, and Z 8.
IMHO the R1 also beats out the a9 III for most practical purposes.
Does it? The problem is, what are actually the rumored specs of the R5 II espcially when it comes to readout speed?

I have to say I am not a native speaker so please correct me, if I am understandings things the wrong way, but from the article and forum posts about the R5 II I am getting the following:
CanonRumors got handed a plain number (ms) for the readout speed from its source. To protect the source, he himself came up with the comparison to the R3 (30% faster).
However, when I look at the forum posts from Canon Rumors Guy it seems that they did the comparison to the video (!) readout-speed of the R3 which is 9.5ms. So this would put the R5 II not on par with the Z8/9 or a1 (~4ms) but more in the range of 7-8ms.

That would mean the risk of rolling shutter is twice as large as the competition especially when you need it the most (fast burst during action).
Moreover (and maybe even more critical), this would also mean, that the R5 II will most certainly have no flash-sync-option in electronic shutter (like the mark I), so no flash with silent shutter and no flash in focus bracketing, which would be very sad.

• Sad
Upvote 0
Does it? The problem is, what are actually the rumored specs of the R5 II espcially when it comes to readout speed?

I have to say I am not a native speaker so please correct me, if I am understandings things the wrong way, but from the article and forum posts about the R5 II I am getting the following:
CanonRumors got handed a plain number (ms) for the readout speed from its source. To protect the source, he himself came up with the comparison to the R3 (30% faster).
However, when I look at the forum posts from Canon Rumors Guy it seems that they did the comparison to the video (!) readout-speed of the R3 which is 9.5ms. So this would put the R5 II not on par with the Z8/9 or a1 (~4ms) but more in the range of 7-8ms.

That would mean the risk of rolling shutter is twice as large as the competition especially when you need it the most (fast burst during action).
Moreover (and maybe even more critical), this would also mean, that the R5 II will most certainly have no flash-sync-option in electronic shutter (like the mark I), so no flash with silent shutter and no flash in focus bracketing, which would be very sad.
I very much hope that the R5II can use flash and ES together!

Upvote 0

Well, the test referenced from CineD puts the Z8/Z9 at 14.5ms. The a1 is an impressive 8.1ms. The claimed readout for the R52 is 30% faster than the R3... again.. claimed.

Their tests are video related.

I haven't found a database with stills readout that I trust.

Upvote 0
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Am I the only one shocked they are still using mechanical shutter, 3 years after Nikon dropped it from their top-tier pro bodies? and that's even with a 24 MP sensor.

I'm sure the R1 will have a ton of impressive tech features that folks will salivate over, Quad pixel AF, Eye-control II, and all sorts of AI wizardry just to mention a few, but mechanical shutter in 2024?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
My next hope is that the R5II supports ‘traditional’ flashes and the Godox V860IIC works well with it. If not, I’ll have to set a price alert on the EL-5.
Are there any problems with a godox flash on an R3 (aside the Off camera TTL bug)?

Well, the test referenced from CineD puts the Z8/Z9 at 14.5ms. The a1 is an impressive 8.1ms. The claimed readout for the R52 is 30% faster than the R3... again.. claimed.
So I am understanding correctly: the R5 IIs sensor ist also claimed to be faster then the R3 in stills?

Upvote 0
I missed the $199 EL-5 a month ago... still annoyed by that!
I saw it, but passed. I have one EL-5 and four 600EX-RT (originals). Would have been a net $100 each to swap them.

I use the EL-5 on-camera, and don’t see any advantage to the EL-5 for remote use. The opposite, actually, since then I’d need to charge 5 batteries before use instead of just changing out the eneloops.

Upvote 0