Canon EOS R1 Spotted in the wild at the Monaco GP

Am I the only one shocked they are still using mechanical shutter, 3 years after Nikon dropped it from their top-tier pro bodies? and that's even with a 24 MP sensor.

I'm sure the R1 will have a ton of impressive tech features that folks will salivate over, Quad pixel AF, Eye-control II, and all sorts of AI wizardry just to mention a few, but mechanical shutter in 2024?

Not at all, that was a cost cutting measure by Nikon. The mechanical shutter is still a valuable asset.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Yeah, this will be the indication light for writing/reading to or from the Cards i think
I also think the other one is a sensor, but i don't know for what... i mean fingerprint? Yeah, really cool but this also would be a huge surprise.
(a) it's way too small to be a fingerprint sensor (if it's the one I think you mean)
(b) yeah the company that still doesn't seal its boxes jumping straight to biometric security would be a surprise

Upvote 0
I know, that's why I asked for clarification and apparenty it is indeed the case.
I suspect there’s a conflation of video and stills readout speeds. I can see information on stills readout speed leaking, that can either be specified or deduced from flash sync speed. But AFAIK video readout speeds come from independent testing, and it seems unlikely those details would leak but rather be published after launch. So perhaps a leaked stills readout for the R5II is being compared to a video readout for the R3.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am still holding out hope for an R1 S and also an R5 S.
Maybe a future R1S might be named R3 ii. The smaller sized R3 body could be very appealing for rugged landscape-wildlife and perhaps wedding (which I gather can be much like rugged wildlife work) photography. A stacked sensor for fast readout at 50-83 MP and respectable frame rate would certainly be appealing to me, more so than the R1.

Upvote 0
Maybe a future R1S might be named R3 ii. The smaller sized R3 body could be very appealing for rugged landscape-wildlife and perhaps wedding (which I gather can be much like rugged wildlife work) photography. A stacked sensor for fast readout at 50-83 MP and respectable frame rate would certainly be appealing to me, more so than the R1.

You stole my dream... R3 S #SaveThe3!

Upvote 0
Am I the only one shocked they are still using mechanical shutter, 3 years after Nikon dropped it from their top-tier pro bodies? and that's even with a 24 MP sensor.

I'm sure the R1 will have a ton of impressive tech features that folks will salivate over, Quad pixel AF, Eye-control II, and all sorts of AI wizardry just to mention a few, but mechanical shutter in 2024?
Nikon thought they were smart to trust sony sensor at that moment.
Or they know they don't have nikon photographers to use Z9/Z8 for their job.
If Canon found ES is not 100% solve the LED banding, they still include mechanical shutter.
I am sure most Canon pro tell them to include because they don't want to take the risk.

The other reason is 16 bit photo(if it is true).

Upvote 0
I suspect there’s a conflation of video and stills readout speeds. I can see information on stills readout speed leaking, that can either be specified or deduced from flash sync speed. But AFAIK video readout speeds come from independent testing, and it seems unlikely those details would leak but rather be published after launch. So perhaps a leaked stills readout for the R5II is being compared to a video readout for the R3.
With a flash that has a stroboscopic flash feature with a high and controllable frequency (or any other form of light that also refreshes fast and controllable enough), rolling shutter can be measured in any mode in less than a minute (I get pissed that no reviewer does it properly because of how easy and effortless it is, the only one I can see measuring it for photos is Duane). Anyone with access to the R5ii could've done it. Out of curiosity one day I did it in every mode with the R5, less than half an hour of experimenting and I measured even the MS rolling shutter using the Canon 600ex ii-rt speedlite

Upvote 0
I sold my R3 in preparation for the R1… and because I’ve been enjoying the Sony A9III... Which is actually a great camera. I’m trying to understand the pros of the R1. I’ll probably buy it to see how it compares to the Sony. I do have a sizable investment in both RF and EF glass; So in no way have I abandoned Canon. I originally purchased the R3 after growing weary of waiting for the R1, to replace my 1D series bodies.

The weight of the Sonys is nice, when you are walking around… which is a lot of the time… but when I’m shooting the Canon feels great in hand.

16 bit still is interesting. I wonder if this means we’ll see 14 bit video?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyone with access to the R5ii could've done it.
Lots of people have likely had a glimpse of a spec list or spoken with someone who has. That number will increase as the actual announcement approaches, and hundreds of retailers populate the not-yet-live product pages that will appear with full specs the moment Canon announces the camera.

Far fewer people will have had unsupervised access to the actual camera, and all of them would be under strict NDAs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
(a) it's way too small to be a fingerprint sensor (if it's the one I think you mean)
(b) yeah the company that still doesn't seal its boxes jumping straight to biometric security would be a surprise
It most likely isn't a fingerprint sensor given your point b. However, there are definitely sensors that small and look very similar to that.
The type of sensor that I was thinking has been around for a while in larger instances. They are optical image sensors that can image the grooves of your finger. While the older ones are larger, the current under display optical sensors used today are more in line with what I was thinking. If you google optical under display fingerprint sensors you will see similar to what I think it looks like. The goodix one looks roughly right (in terms of sensor size).

The sensor there could, and most likely, be something else. What I can think of is:
  • Light sensor. Could read lux or temperature. Don't know many uses for this
  • TOF (time of flight) sensor. Again someone else has mentioned it could be this however don't see a reason for it as the only one needed will most certainly fit in the evf. Even if there isn't a TOF sensor in there the eye controlled AF system would be able to detect something there.
  • Some other sensor I cannot think of currently
It seems weird for there to be a larger square around the sensor than what is needed for most things. This suggests to me that it is a sensor with a FOV. Hence my suspicion of a fingerprint sensor. They use a CMOS or CCD sensor and need a decent FOV to see more than one spot on a finger. There are other fingerprint sensor styles it could be like ultrasonic but I see that as something too over the top for canon.

Upvote 0
Lots of people have likely had a glimpse of a spec list or spoken with someone who has. That number will increase as the actual announcement approaches, and hundreds of retailers populate the not-yet-live product pages that will appear with full specs the moment Canon announces the camera.

Far fewer people will have had unsupervised access to the actual camera, and all of them would be under strict NDAs.
I have a suspicion that some reviewers have the R5II. Although it could also be the R1. A video by Jared Polin comparing the R8, R7, and R10 had the pop up at the start saying "filmed with RF lenses". Other videos, for instance his R6, R6II, R8 comparison, show it saying "filmed with the canon R5". This may be a false flag but there have been reviewers in the past (peta pixel with a Panasonic camera I think) that have used cameras for other videos before embargo release and have either said it is another camera or not said.

Back to your post, I would guess there are a number of people who have access to the camera now.

Upvote 0
Not at all, that was a cost cutting measure by Nikon. The mechanical shutter is still a valuable asset.
Agreed. Like people have said, if there is 16bit raw associated with just mechanical it is needed. If it also shares the same mechanical shutter as the 1dxIII it will have 16fps, on the lower end of sony a1 14bit full raw fps. If they have made improvements, most likely as there isn't a mirror and has been 4 years, then that may push higher closer to 20fps. That is the upper limit of a1 14bit raw real world speeds.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Well to get a good enough estimate (or at least an upper boundry) a look at the spec sheet would be sufficient. A
s said the flash sync speed gives a very good idea of the readout speed. If it's going to be over 1/250 than the readout must be below 4ms and so on.
Time will tell. I doubt the R5II will be faster than the R3. IIRC, the video readout speed of the R3 is a bit over 9 ms. 30-35% faster would be somewhere around 6 ms. That translates to a 1/160 s flash sync, almost as fast as the R3’s 1/180 s.

Upvote 0
16 bit readout in mechanical sounds interesting, I don't think Sony offers anything like that except in A7S, and that's video.

Will the R5II also have 16-bit readout? That'd be tempting for landscape. But then they'd need to significantly reduce the read noise too (for either R1 or R5II).
16 bits is actually almost groundbreaking, unseen (as far as I'm aware) in FF cameras.

Upvote 0
16 bit readout in mechanical sounds interesting, I don't think Sony offers anything like that except in A7S, and that's video.

Will the R5II also have 16-bit readout? That'd be tempting for landscape. But then they'd need to significantly reduce the read noise too (for either R1 or R5II).
16 bits is actually almost groundbreaking, unseen (as far as I'm aware) in FF cameras.

I'm just hoping the source didn't confuse the spec for a different camera. It happens.

Upvote 0
I don’t buy into the conspiracy of R3 is the original R1. Canon never let the 1 series falls out of their 4-year schedule, 1DX3 was out in 2020 as schedule. R5 R6 is rushed to retain EF users onto RF, and R3 was a stopgap. It looks like Canon losing face when compared to Z9 a1, but that’s what SonNikon fanbois say all the time.

R3 is a platform Canon test on to make sure they have the fastest camera to trigger Sony. And it worked.

I still can’t believe R1 will be 24MP as they have to put 8k in.
I have never understood the angst about names and flagship status.
Canon could have called the R5 as "banana boat" and I would have still bought it because the specs were right for me.
Same as it does not matter that the R1 is the flagship: I will not buy it because 24mp is not enough for me and speed is not a primary concern for me.

Personally, right about now, I have a preference for the choices that the "poor" Nikon and Sony fanbois are "forced" to make

Upvote 0
However, there are definitely sensors that small and look very similar to that.
The type of sensor that I was thinking has been around for a while in larger instances. They are optical image sensors that can image the grooves of your finger. While the older ones are larger, the current under display optical sensors used today are more in line with what I was thinking. If you google optical under display fingerprint sensors you will see similar to what I think it looks like. The goodix one looks roughly right (in terms of sensor size).
Yeah, I see the one you mean. But if you look at the other images, that sensor is typically placed a few mm under glass, and the footprint (sorry) of the sensor on the surface is still about the size of an actual fingerprint.

Assuming those nearby buttons are the same size as those on my.. (gropes frantically for whatever body is closest).. 5DS R, the exposed square at the surface -- where you'd actually touch it -- is still small. Yes, even compared to the ones used in phone displays.

Upvote 0