Canon EOS R1 Spotted in the wild at the Monaco GP

Yeah, I see the one you mean. But if you look at the other images, that sensor is typically placed a few mm under glass, and the footprint (sorry) of the sensor on the surface is still about the size of an actual fingerprint.

Assuming those nearby buttons are the same size as those on my.. (gropes frantically for whatever body is closest).. 5DS R, the exposed square at the surface -- where you'd actually touch it -- is still small. Yes, even compared to the ones used in phone displays.
I see what you mean. It may be too small. This is just my desire for a security measure. While I will never by an R1, I do hope it will cause a trickle down to the R5II. Which I can hopefully pick up before november.

I have seen sensor sizes similar to the size of the one there, I believe based on what I can tell. I've attached one that was used in a phone. It has a fingerprint for scale. This to me seems similar. and the larger housing of that sensor to me seems within some margin the same footprint (loved the pun too much had to steal it).

Like I've said before, I doubt canon will put a fingerprint sensor on the camera. However, I have no clue what else it could be that would be useful. So this is my incessant need to fix my unknowing about what it could be. Plus an investment of $4k (or $6.5k for the R1) is not a small amount of money in todays climate.

Attachments

• fingerprint sensor.png
    fingerprint sensor.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have never understood the angst about names and flagship status.
Canon could have called the R5 as "banana boat" and I would have still bought it because the specs were right for me.
Same as it does not matter that the R1 is the flagship: I will not buy it because 24mp is not enough for me and speed is not a primary concern for me.

Personally, right about now, I have a preference for the choices that the "poor" Nikon and Sony fanbois are "forced" to make
Would it have hurt Canon to use a 45 MP sensor instead of 24? I don't understand it. I'll wait for the R5 MKII. I shoot Nature and wildlife. I also love taking night shots.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
However, I have no clue what else it could be that would be useful. So this is my incessant need to fix my unknowing about what it could be.
I admit, I'm curious too. It looks vaguely familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it, and I'm pretty sure we're not meant to.

Another hypothesis, at least: IR receiver? I have no idea why you'd want to trigger the body from somewhere else rather than have it be the controller for a remote device, but at least it feels plausible.

Built-in mic with a sealed cover to prevent water ingress?

Upvote 0
I admit, I'm curious too. It looks vaguely familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it, and I'm pretty sure we're not meant to.
Doing a reverse image search it looks like a mini version of a camera from older plastic bezel laptops. Also going down that rabbit hole brought me to light sensors on rear vision mirrors. Could simply be that. Maybe it just allows for auto brightness on the rear lcd. Or if they are now fancy maybe it can act like apples true tone and change the colours on the screen to look more indicative of what they actually are.

All I know for certain is that I have spent far too much time looking into this.

Upvote 0