Canon EOS R1 Spotted in the wild at the Monaco GP

Perhaps with their current battery technology it is impossible to estimate an exact percentage, and the R1 will introduce a new type of battery, compatible with the old ones, but including a new chip able to know this %
Nope, you can get the % in the Battery menu, it has been the case for a long time (on 1D line and 5D4 at least).
I put it on MyMenu second tab along with the card and check both ahead of getting out. It is quite fast to check the % this way, but top lcd would even be better.

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Perhaps with their current battery technology it is impossible to estimate an exact percentage, and the R1 will introduce a new type of battery, compatible with the old ones, but including a new chip able to know this %
Even the EOS R can show you the capacity in % but unfortunately it only does it when you check it through the menu. I wish it would show up on the TOP LCD as well.

Upvote 0
The R1 looks like a small evolution coming from the R3. I only see one additional button next to the top LCD and a few minor improvements so far. It actually makes me wonder if the R3 will ever get a mkii version when the R1 looks very, very similar to it....but then again: people said the A9 line is dead because of the A1 and then along came GS :)

Upvote 0
So, in conclusion, what we now know better:

• the coating is the same as on the one R1 picture we got from Canon, so this is the R1 (what a surprise)
  • The Viewfinder is huuuuuge, so i am pretty sure we will get close to 10MP resolution AND the 2. generation of Eye-Control
  • the multishoe has a lockable cap as far as i and others have spotted
  • the R1 is far bigger than the R3, just look how small the 85mm f1.2 gets on it
  • A metal bar for straps at the bottom (not seen at the R3, but aviable at some vertical grips)
  • battery percentage on the top LCD is also new, not seen on the R3 or any other (mirrorless) camera in the past years
  • The top button layout is the same as on the R3, plus a WB-Button
  • on the top are also two new symbols near the m-Fn button and the LCD-light button in a blue-ish colour, i really dont know what this is. one seems to show a crop-symbol the other a gas station symbol (plot twist: the R1 runs on gas :ROFLMAO:)
  • the ON-OFF switch is on the side, not on the back as on the R3 and has no lock position (?)
  • the card slot seems just a little bigger than on the R3 but i hope it supports 2x CF-Express
  • the bottom shows us an HDMI logo, so it features full HDMI
  • a diopter control is also built into the viewfinder. I expected it, but just have it in here
  • SN shows a 31, so maybe number 31 to be produced
  • The registration-ID says DS126925, according to some people here, it is not the same as on of the 3 we have seen in the rumored registrations, but to be fair it is hard to read
  • overall is the camera bigger, but especially thicker than the R3, that also improves the ergnomics
So this is all i could find in the pictures and here in the discussion - concluded to a more or less complete list of what to see in the pictures.
@Canon Rumors Guy this is what my nerdy me and the forum could find out, but i think it is not that bad. Sadly we cannot cound the pixels from the official picture of Canon :ROFLMAO:

Let me know any further things you have noticed, and i will update it.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
So, in conclusion, what we now know better:

• the coating is the same as on the one R1 picture we got from Canon, so this is the R1 (what a surprise)
  • The Viewfinder is huuuuuge, so i am pretty sure we will get close to 10MP resolution AND the 2. generation of Eye-Control
  • the multishoe has a lockable cap as far as i and others have spotted
  • the R1 is far bigger than the R3, just look how small the 85mm f1.2 gets on it
  • A metal bar for straps at the bottom (not seen at the R3, but aviable at some vertical grips)
  • battery percentage on the top LCD is also new, not seen on the R3 or any other (mirrorless) camera in the past years
  • The top button layout is the same as on the R3, plus a WB-Button
  • on the top are also two new symbols near the m-Fn button and the LCD-light button in a blue-ish colour, i really dont know what this is. one seems to show a crop-symbol the other a gas station symbol (plot twist: the R1 runs on gas :ROFLMAO:)
  • the ON-OFF switch is on the side, not on the back as on the R3 and has no lock position (?)
  • the card slot seems just a little bigger than on the R3 but i hope it supports 2x CF-Express
  • the bottom shows us an HDMI logo, so it features full HDMI
  • a diopter control is also built into the viewfinder. I expected it, but just have it in here
  • SN shows a 31, so maybe number 31 to be produced
  • The registration-ID says DS126925, according to some people here, it is not the same as on of the 3 we have seen in the rumored registrations, but to be fair it is hard to read
  • overall is the camera bigger, but especially thicker than the R3, that also improves the ergnomics
So this is all i could find in the pictures and here in the discussion - concluded to a more or less complete list of what to see in the pictures.
@Canon Rumors Guy this is what my nerdy me and the forum could find out, but i think it is not that bad. Sadly we cannot cound the pixels from the official picture of Canon :ROFLMAO:

Let me know any further things you have noticed, and i will update it.

Thank you!

The MP count will make the internet whine, but they weren't buying the camera anyway.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
1/16000 shutterspeed indicated on the top OLED, something the 1DX mkIII doesn't do. The R3 does in electronic shutter only. Would be nice to know if this is available with mechanical shutter, as it is pretty much a requirement for using f/1.4 or brighter in full daylight.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The R1 looks like a small evolution coming from the R3. I only see one additional button next to the top LCD and a few minor improvements so far. It actually makes me wonder if the R3 will ever get a mkii version when the R1 looks very, very similar to it....but then again: people said the A9 line is dead because of the A1 and then along came GS :)
It's a camera like any other. What new buttons are you expecting? What other brand introduces a ton of new buttons in between camera generations? That being said there are new things like a tally light for video and some new icons next to some of the buttons.

Upvote 0
1/16000 shutterspeed indicated on the top OLED, something the 1DX mkIII doesn't do. The R3 does in electronic shutter only. Would be nice to know if this is available with mechanical shutter, as it is pretty much a requirement for using f/1.4 or brighter in full daylight.
First one to point out the obvious learning here: can go to 1/16000 at least … but concerning my - why would the guy (he knows what he’s doing I’m sure) have 125 iso? Is this the base iso? Sony a93 has 250 base iso - so its still better than that for long exposures (I know not the focus)

Upvote 0