Canon EOS R1 Spotted in the wild at the Monaco GP

Well, what about all the battery grips for the XD- and XXD-series of Canon Cameras? My 90D's Grip also has one on the bottom. So i wondern why it should be so special for the 1-Series.
The lower strap lug wasn't 'special' to the 1-series, as you state it was on all the battery grips, even the one for my Rebel T1i/500D. I bought an E1 strap with that camera and have used it ever since. I even bought a second one when they discontinued them in favor of the E2 version, which is not as good. There's no point in putting a lower lug on a non-gripped body, they're not really tall enough to take a hand strap anyway.

The point is that the R3 does not have the lower strap lug, which makes it 'special' in a bad way because the 1-series bodies and the battery grips all had them. I'm glad that they added it (back) to the R1. Turned out not to matter for me, since the RRS camera plate I leave on the R3 has the strap attachment point.

In fact, I find the strap attachment even more comfortable with the RRS plate, since it puts the lug under the camera instead of right on the corner like the prior 1-series bodies and battery grips. The extra length allows a bit more slack (but not too much) in the strap, making it more comfortable for me. Looks like the R1 replicates that camera plate positioning with the lug on the bottom plate of the camera, set back from the corner.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I wouldn't overthink it. I set my ISO to be one third stops for fine adjustment when I don't want to mess with my aperture or shutter speed.

A 1-series camera is definitely not going to be the camera that Canon decides to limit ISO speeds on.
Agree, or maybe he is on auto-ISO due to variable exposure scenes, or maybe he knocked the ISO dial by mistake, or ... too many possibilities to think of.

Upvote 0
Totally off-subject but I wonder how many people know what this mark means. all the EOS R's have it and the M50 did but the M didn't. I think all the EF-mount bodies had it.

View attachment 216899
That's the sensor plane (i.e. where the sensor is in the camera body). Useful for macro because lens minimum focus distances are specified from that point (instead of the front of the lens).

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Are we absolutely sure its not R5ii or R3ii?

The R52 won't be a gripped camera. They just let us know the R1 is coming officially. The R1 is at Monaco, it'll be in Germany next month, it'll be in France in July/August... it will be announced officially after that. It will begin shipping in November at the earliest. It will likely cost $6499 USD.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
DS126928 and DS126922 are the device names registered in CMIIT, meaning that these device will release in China.
Perhaps looking up the conventions of the device names in each region will help us make inferences.
Generally devices licensed for use in China have a device name that is ranked 4th in numerical size (using R6M2 and R3 as examples) .In this case the device name is DS126925 and probably the version that went on sale in the US and Canada. So DS126928 may be the device name of R1 and was registered on March 29th. What would be the slightly earlier registered DS126922? It seems that this device was ready earlier than the R1.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Are we absolutely sure its not R5ii or R3ii?
Well since the name is covered in the image, technically we can't even be absolutely sure, that this is not a nikon camera that uses the RF-mount (after buying RED).

However, when you compare the current images to the R1 teaser it fits really well including the additional button over the R3 that is barely visible in one of the officialy released photos.
Moreover, since Canon has announced an R1 it is extremely unlikely that they will now test out a R3II (if such a camera will ever be made).
And the R5II will not have an included battery grip as that would be a complete show-stopper to many people (including me)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0