Canon to Surprise With New Mirrorless Camera

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
AvTvM said:
Forget that old FD glass. Optimized for film, not well suited for digital sensors. 30 year old optical formulas, optical glass, optical performance. Just bury it together with the few retro-freaks who still have some of those old clunkers. And any T90 along with it.

Retro is evil. Why fill young wine into old tubes? Less functional than a truly digital camera with optimized UI including well-designed body shape and control points:
* fully articulated touch LCD screen
* 4k resolution 120Hz "Retina" EVF
* 1 mode dial with AvTvM and 3+ custom settings
* 1 multi-functional, non labelled dial in front
* 1 large thumb wheel in back
* 1 aperture/multi-function ring around lens mount (on body, not on lenses!)
* eye control AF-point selection in EVF
* 1 back button AF button
* no shoulder display
* WIFI plus elaborate, fully functional remote control APP instead of hard-threaded shuttor button for wire release (as on retro olympus and Fuji crap)
* no manual focus, only AF
* independently certified IP67 ingress protection (sealing)
* small body with grip large enough to hold and accomodate Li-battery with 700+ shots charge

All of it readily available and "already invented" at Canon.
And please keep Luigi Colani away from any future Canon MILC. Choose a Dieter Rams-oriented design.
Thanks, Canon

pretty well agree with most of it, except for the no MF bit.....

Take your touchscreen and do a "fly by wire" MF..... that way you don't need the MF ring on the lens....

Upvote 0
I'd like to see an extended EVF that looks sort of like medium format cameras - sticking Fortner out the back of the camera. I hate smashing my nose up against the back of my cameras and I use eyepiece extenders from Canon to help with this. Why not make it look like a hasselblad or some thing cool? Long instead of wide with a pistol grip.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
3kramd5 said:
AvTvM said:

Bringing that request back, eh?

Why on earth would you want that?

Simple to answer:
1. have not used manual focus since 1987, when i bought my first (Minolta) AF SLR. I do not need a focus ring. And even if manual focus would be needed, it could easily be done on a MILC by wire - via camera touchscreen, no need for a focus ring on every lens.
2. I prefer MILC lenses as compact, light and robust as possible. Meaning, no mechanical/moving parts, no focus ring, no iris aperture with mechanical blades, but rather "something electronic, translucent, variable diameter circular hole.
3. I like good whetehersealing in my lenses. IP67 ingress protection would be much easier to achievewithout focus ring.
4. cost and price advantage. Cheaper to design & build, lower price possible. Or otherwise same price, but money applied towards better optical perferomance.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
AvTvM said:
3kramd5 said:
AvTvM said:

Simple to answer:
1. have not used manual focus since 1987, when i bought my first (Minolta) AF SLR. I do not need a focus ring. And even if manual focus would be needed, it could easily be done on a MILC by wire - via camera touchscreen, no need for a focus ring on every lens.
2. I prefer MILC lenses as compact, light and robust as possible. Meaning, no mechanical/moving parts, no focus ring, no iris aperture with mechanical blades, but rather "something electronic, translucent, variable diameter circular hole.
3. I like good whetehersealing in my lenses. IP67 ingress protection would be much easier to achievewithout focus ring.
4. cost and price advantage. Cheaper to design & build, lower price possible. Or otherwise same price, but money applied towards better optical perferomance.

I doubt a focus ring drives cost so significantly that optics could be improved in a trade.

To each his own. It would be an instant dealbreaker for me. For landscape I use MF more than AF. In the studio I probably use them 50/50 (often frame with my intended focus out of the AF area).

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
3kramd5 said:
I doubt a focus ring drives cost so significantly that optics could be improved in a trade.

To each his own. It would be an instant dealbreaker for me. For landscape I use MF more than AF. In the studio I probably use them 50/50 (often frame with my intended focus out of the AF area).

It's not only the ring, there's also a clutch mechanism and mechanical gears (* and often an AF/MF switch.
(* unless it's focus by wire anyways ... e.g. EF 85/1.2. Instead of the "fake focus ring" one might as well set focus manually using the thumb wheel or front wheel on the camera body - if Canon implemented it that way.

Especially for landscape when I usually have a lot of time. I put the AF field where I want the plane of focus in the frame and make sure the cam does focus on the image element I want in focus. Landscape usually cam on a tripod, and MF loupe @ 10x ... ideally it is a touchscreen [e.g. as on EOS M's] ... I really cannot see why I would want to fiddle with a focus ring.

But of course everybody can take pictures as they please. I am not saying, ALL lenses should be "AF only". I'd just want those lenses I like for a MILC system to be available in an "AF only" version. ;D
Especially pancakes ... think of EF-M 22 or EF 40/2.8 or EF 50/1.8 ... that dingy focus ring on the latter two is a poor joke anyways. Might as well leave it off.

And zooms, where there is a zoom ring already. Although I'd also leave that one off and replace it with a ***really well implemented*** zoom lever on the camera body ... meaning, *incomparably better* than on a powershot or other cheap point and shoot ... sensitive to the touch, long enough adjustment range, nicely dampened movement, etc. - a linear motor drive [like STM] should be ideal for that.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
3kramd5 said:
AvTvM said:
3kramd5 said:
AvTvM said:

Simple to answer:

Personally, I have not used MF on a DSLR since lunch..... says Don as he finishes off his meal.....

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
3kramd5 said:
AvTvM said:
It's not only the ring, there's also a clutch mechanism and mechanical gears

Sure, but I presume (with no basis, admittedly) that the focusing mechanism itself dwarfs the cost of linking a ring to it (weather sealing notwithstanding).

No .. USM (or STM) AF drives are fairly beautiful and simple affairs. But adding manual focus with FTM capability to it [manual override of AF-chosen focus distance at any point in time] requires a rather tricky and elaborate differential mechanism. After all it takes Douglas Kerr - a very concise writer! - from page 7 to 12 of the following document just to describe it. :eek:
http://dougkerr.net/Pumpkin/articles/Canon_USM.pdf

So if that MF stuff goes out, I'd fully expect a 15-20% price cut on AF-only lenses. Or correspondingly higher optical performance, if price stays the same but money is applied towards GLASS and coatings that deliver our images, rather than on intricate mechanical gear boxes.

It may be pure mechanical genius, but I never use the largest portion of this stuff in my lenses and I neither want to carry it around all the time nor do I want to pay for it! Especially since I also have paid for an elaborate AF system in my camera and lenses. :)
1_7_af_tcm14-406088.jpg

http://www.canon.co.uk/for_home/product_finder/cameras/ef_lenses/full-time_manual_focus.aspx

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Interesting. Well I would happily take that mechanism over the annoyance of having to affirmatively enable MF in orde to use it (with native lenses) or MF assist (with any lenses) on my mirrorless (which is the Sony implementation; hopefully canon would do better). Again, to each his own.

I'd like to use my fancy AF too, but when it fails (AF point sensitive to the wrong direction, or not available in the desired location, etc.) the simplest fix for me is to turn a wheel on the lens where my left hand is already sitting.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
New Canon Mirrorless in Q3/Q4 2016 - Aiming for #1 Says Canon

The aim is mirror-less market a First Second place

"In the main products such as digital cameras and inkjet printers, tackle the realization and maintenance of the share number one. Mirrorless camera, now, even in this area where there is room for third place position. Still market expansion, single-lens reflex camera , as well as the compact digital camera declares, aiming for top market share. "

Here, the "promotion of step-up strategy" by the expansion and photography enthusiasts of training of entry layer, it's thought to be addressed in the "middle machine, mirror-less machine, strengthening product competitiveness of the interchangeable lens."

Canon Marketing Japan Imaging System Company, president Yagi Koichi Managing Executive Officer, "in the third quarter and fourth quarter of 2015, we have been able to ship a lot of mirror-less the number of cameras, not yet satisfied by For. At present new products, but mention can not be, the third quarter in 2016, towards the fourth quarter and that the "mirror-less market is forecast to grow, Canon's share of the" mirror-less camera market and two years ago the 4-position, we want to aim at the 3-position. By all means second place this year, last year. And, because second place, the middle of the goal. soon as possible moment, want to take the seat of the number one "and is all fired up

Canon Marketing Japan Shibasaki Hiroshi Director and Senior Managing Executive Officer, says it also "to implement an aggressive sales promotion measures to tow the camera market with a focus on mirror-less camera."

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fascii.jp%2Felem%2F000%2F001%2F112%2F1112509%2Findex-2.html&edit-text=

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
While Canon is still mucking about with half-assed M's, Sony claims their A6000 to be "the best selling interchangeable lens camera - $600 and above ... in the industry" ... "MILCs and DSLRs". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDGnl5SHBzc&feature=youtu.be&t=616 ... around minute 6 ... and there are also some quite interesting market data charts around minute 3.

Yes, I do take that statement with a grain of salt - made at a Sony marketing event by a Sony exec [Neal Manowitz, VP Digital Imaging, Consumer Sales and Marketing, North America]. And unfortunately they did NOT provide the number of units sold to date to back up their claim, and none of the folks in attendance had the wits or guts to ask for it [they should have invited me :D].

BUT ... it may just be the truth ... and even it were not 100% correct, I'm convinced Canon could have sucked off at least half of all Sony A6000 sales, had they cared to introduce truly competitive EOS-M, M2 and M3 camera bodies. Lens-wise, Canon EF-M "starting line-up" is just fine. But all of the bodies are severely lacking. None with a built-in EVF, none with a competitive sensor, all with extremely bad to poor AF, low fps, very poor battery live.

Upvote 0

nhz

Jan 9, 2016
AvTvM said:
BUT ... it may just be the truth ... and even it were not 100% correct, I'm convinced Canon could have sucked off at least half of all Sony A6000 sales, had they cared to introduce truly competitive EOS-M, M2 and M3 camera bodies. Lens-wise, Canon EF-M "starting line-up" is just fine. But all of the bodies are severely lacking. None with a built-in EVF, none with a competitive sensor, all with extremely bad to poor AF, low fps, very poor battery live.
I won't buy an A6300 because I don't like the lens line, but this camera indeed shows that EOS-M is a joke. Canon is SO far behind Sony in this area ...

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
AvTvM said:
While Canon is still mucking about with half-assed M's, Sony claims their A6000 to be "the best selling interchangeable lens camera - $600 and above ... in the industry" ... "MILCs and DSLRs". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDGnl5SHBzc&feature=youtu.be&t=616 ... around minute 6 ... and there are also some quite interesting market data charts around minute 3.

Yes, I do take that statement with a grain of salt - made at a Sony marketing event by a Sony exec [Neal Manowitz, VP Digital Imaging, Consumer Sales and Marketing, North America]. And unfortunately they did NOT provide the number of units sold to date to back up their claim, and none of the folks in attendance had the wits or guts to ask for it [they should have invited me :D].

I wonder if he meant in the USA?

I could see it, it has sold quite well, and canon and nikon replace their lower tiered items more frequently.

globally? I doubt it.

Upvote 0