Here are the Canon EOS R7 and Canon EOS R10

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Which may be why you don't see the need for a physical MF/AF button.
No it doesn't, not always. I think there are simply too many scenarios and subjects in the world across millions of shooters to make a generalization like that.
But am I allowed to make a generalization about MF and focus by wire with STM?

I wish you much fun with "focus by wire" in YOUR hurry scenario ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Are we thinking the RF-S glass will be able to mount on FF RF mounts or will it be crop only?
Given that the registration mark on the body mount is the same as on FF RF bodies, the RF-S lenses will mount on FF R bodies and the body will automatically switch to crop mode, just as when an EF-S lens is mounted via the adapter.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
With the built in flash, it's very much a mirrorless rebel, and not an M6 successor.

Are we thinking the RF-S glass will be able to mount on FF RF mounts or will it be crop only?
That's an interesting question. Maybe... but you would be reduced on image resolution I'm sure. since it's only designed to target a smaller sensor size.

Upvote 0
Very interesting. I was really hoping for the R7 to be a crop sensor in an R5 body. Was hoping to get the R7 as a backup but I feel like my muscle memory would be thrown off. It almost looks like an R with a touch dial (like early iPods) instead of a touch bar. Where are all the buttons?
I'm with you...that plastic looks too shiny. I think they are up to something.

Upvote 0
But am I allowed to make a generalization about MF and focus by wire with STM?

I wish you much fun with "focus by wire" in YOUR hurry scenario ;)
I think Canon makes physical buttons and switches for a) convenience/ease of access to commonly-used functions, or b) for speed, where digging into a menu would result in a missed shot or due to the operator losing track of a subject.

Maybe your viewpoint is that no one can focus quickly and precisely with focus by wire. I'm just saying that is a broad claim.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If the photo is valid, then I guess Canon disagrees on the need for one and location.

When you want or need to go to MF in a hurry, there's nothing better than a physical button or switch. Somewhere, anywhere.

There are EF-M lenses with no AF/MF switch, but the M6 Mark II for example provides a handy AF/MF instead right on the back of the body to control it.

I am very sensitive to the design. And also well aware that design is a highly subjective matter. But this front camera AF/MF button is really ugly. If I should suffer such a design, please finish me with the inclusion of the print button :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Maybe your viewpoint is that no one can focus quickly and precisely with focus by wire. I'm just saying that is a broad claim.
Can you? Have you ever tried out STM lens? Have you ever done focus by wire?
I have! With several different lenses!
And from this experience I can tell you that the limiting factor was not me.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Its called learning the layout and muscle memory. Get used to it my guy.
you better get used to ergonomic design.
Have you ever had a T-90 in your hands before? (I have)
That was the time when these ergonomics started.
And it's ergonomics to serve the user and not the "muscle memory" to serve ergonomics layout.
Get used to good design you guy.

Upvote 0
I'd have been all over either camera if they took the A7C approach with a flat top to make it as compact as possible. That's what the R lineup is missing IMO - something you can throw in an everyday sling bag like a Leica or X100V. The M6 line was great for that purpose. Given the body design of these I'll probably look elsewhere for an ultra-compact setup.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0