Updated Canon EOS 6D Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Out of all the ways that Canon could have handicapped the 6D2, no 4K is one of the better choices.(the 6D had to be made less than the 5D4 considering its price point).
Even if it had 4K, it could not be as good as that n the 5D4, which by the way is unusable. I am all for innovation above all but in the real world, I want to buy the 6D2 and no 4K is fine.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
9VIII said:
rrcphoto said:
Don Haines said:
unfocused said:
Don Haines said:
Checked the listings of TVs at Best buy

4K - 203 models
2K - 83 models
720p - 23 models

gee whiz Batman, I wonder what resolution of TV most people are buying.......

You are overlooking the life cycle. Sure, many new buyers are probably buying 4K, although Best Buy wouldn't be carrying 23 models of 720p tvs if they weren't selling them. But how often does the average consumer replace their tv. I'm not talking about forum nerds, I'm talking about average Joe. Average Joe doesn't replace his tv until the old one breaks, so even after all 720p and 2k tvs quit being sold, they will still be a big part of the market, likely the majority for years to come.

No, I am not overlooking the life cycle. I have absolutely no doubt that the vast majority of televisions in homes right now are 2K..... What I said (according to the CRTC, in Canada 4K is 80 to 90 percent of sales) is that people are now buying mostly 4K models....

well canada is a pretty small market .. worldwide:
b90dd263c7813505eea7eb8005dd4719.png

4K is still not anywhere close to the shipment totals of the other formats

not to mention all the other non 4k tv's that were already purchased and still being purchased.

Emerging markets are probably still demanding HDTV's, those markets are getting pretty big, western nations will have a much higher percentage of 4K saturation.
Emerging markets are buying more 4K high end TV cameras than Western countries. In China they ONLY want 4K, in India 4K is huge. The mistake people make is equating 4K origination with 4K transmission. Over-sampling gives a better HDTV signal than a pure HDTV originated signal which means transmission pipe losses are less and therefor the HDTV signal is better preserved with more detail.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

Mikehit said:
most video is being shot on smartphone, and most phones have 4K. How many people will leave home with a camera but no phone? Virtually none. So they have 4K available in their phone so why do they need it in their camera?
+1

One example I want to pick up:
If I want to have someone for my own wedding doing stills photography and video footage I won't have only one person doing that job with one camera. I rather would have two persons one doing the stills part and one doing the video part. One person alone probably can do both jobs but will I be satisfied with the outcome? When he/she is doing video he/she will miss some important moments to capture as still and vice versea.

People who are doing professional stills and video work will for sure use the best possible camera which will do the job accordingly. Currently this means that you need two differnet bodies one for each of the jobs. Everything else is dreamed by now.

Conclusion: It is not needed at all that a 6D2 or any other manufacturers 2k$ DSLR needs to be a jack-of-all-trades camera. I and probably even the DSLR producers themself eventually regret that this video thing has found its way into DSLRs at all. (cite: "The spirits that I called" from Goethes "The Sorcerer's Apprentice")

When the 4k fans argumenting that even their smartphones do have 4k why they then don't simply use their phones? Because its not fully implemented (but 4k is the new standard, right?). But then there is the expectation that a 2k$ DSLR should provide full 4k support (which is only given in much more expensive equipment) without any quirks. Dream on and wake up again in 5 or 10 years.

Frank

Upvote 0
I'm new here as well... so take it easy on me please.

As a videographer and photographer "the dream" is something that is a direct competitor of Sony a7S II. There really is nothing out there that does compete in the same price range and size. I've been shooting Canon for years now, and although I can look at the C100 through C300 for video work, I'm no ready to pay the price of admission. Plus in my case, a camera that also takes stills is the best of both worlds for my work flow (that way I can be the second shooter and capture B-roll at the same time).

To be honest, based on what happens with the specs, I may have to look at what Sony has to offer even if it comes with all the cons that everyone has already listed in previous posts. I just dread having to get rid of my gear to move to Sony or another platform.

Please Canon, give us something good... even if we don't get 4K... at the very least give us an 80D with a full frame sensor that does well in low light at reasonable price point.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The day will come when I eat my bitter words, but 14 years of using CF and SD cards in Asia and the USA, all kinds of weather, I've never had one fail. When I do have an occasional important and/or paid session, I use a backup card to CMA, but most of the time I don't like dealing with two of them. I guess I could always leave an SD card in and format it each time I put the CF back in.

(I did have a thumb-drive get corrupted once, but was able to recover with the SanDisk tool. About 10 years ago.)

(Maybe I got a little discouraged by how the 5DIII was slowed down when the SD card was in the slot. I haven't noticed that happening on the 5DIV, but most of the time I don't bother with the SD slot on it either.)

In other words, I can't get worked up about the lack of a second card slot. While it's a nice feature, for sure, I wonder how many people truly develop the habit of using it.

For the level of photographer the 6DII has been developed for, once we get beyond people who are more obsessed with specs than taking photos, I don't see a second slot or 4K as any issue whatsoever. This might be the most popular, widely sold FF camera yet.

Upvote 0
The easiest option is to simply not buy and move on.

I bought a 5D4 strictly for stills work and timelapse, and tried to integrate it into some of the video projects I'm working on this year, but I realized that it just isn't at the level I'm used to especially when I've been working with other equipment that is much easier and flexible to use, even as a b-cam, so I sold it off once the project was closed and paid. The crop factor wasn't the issue, but the significant rolling shutter, lack of log/framerates/video assist features and MJPEG was too much to compromise against having native lens performance and DPAF. I know log was later addressed, but required a send-in and downtime. If the 6DII offered 4K that is even more limiting than what the 5DIV offered, it would merely be a spec sheet item at that point. These bodies are meant to excel for stills photography, so it simply was not a good fit for me or anyone else doing more than a 70/30 video/stills ratio.

It doesn't matter what Canon is doing, or what their corporate strategy is. I find the best choices that allow me to maximize my performance envelope. When I was cross shopping a cinema system last year, I found Canon's EOS Cinema line equally under-speced and overpriced compared to the competition, so I went with the competition. Canon today doesn't have the products to support that vision for me other than its lens lineup which has support on almost all of the competitor's systems, so I continue to expand my EF lens setup which continue to sit on all of its competitor's bodies. This is the best fit for me. YMMV.

You can't appeal to the user base here as a whole, because they simply have more ammunition in the debate dept. than you do, and it is a fact that Canon has the largest market-share vs the competition. But honestly, does it matter? What matters is that your acquisition process will have more creative breadth and tools at your disposable than those who opt to stay with Canon's current offerings and and you will be able to produce a higher end deliverable.

At the end of the day, that is the only thing that matters...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
And think of all the photojournalists and wedding and fashion photographers over the years who survived and thrived with a single roll of film in their cameras. No backup slot!

Never had a CF/SD card fail, but I do remember torn sprocket holes, film covers popping open, worrying about X-rays...

If Canon only served those photographers with "vision," they'd be out of business fast.

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
EduPortas said:
CanonFanBoy said:
EduPortas said:
hmatthes said:
EduPortas said:
This a premium camera. It should have 4k.

Otherwise, I don't see any reason to move from an original 6D to this second model.

We'll see. Hope the rumors are wrong in this case.

"I don't see any reason..." -- You are kidding I assume! Or may I assume you have not used a 6D?
I love the image quality of my 6D and I am 95+% stills -- I have better video solutions.
The REAL reason to upgrade is the focus system. 11 points versus 45 points is HUGE for stills photographers. If they make it easier to select the points (my 70D was far better than the 6D in this regard) I'll order on day One.

I did in fact own a 6D for about a year. Produced paid work with it. Even today, I consider

it a very good camera. Those eleven AF point were enough because I never intended to use it for sports.

And no one can deny that it has superb low light capabilities and ergonomics.

I don't consider a better AF system a reason to upgrade on this particular camera.

Now if it were to have an upgraded AF module, DPAF, and 4K it would be a no brainer. But Canon, apparently, force

you to choose the more expensive 5D model to get them all in one package.

As another person said before it's "pay to play" in Canonland.

Um... it is "pay to play" everywhere. Always has been. Always will be. Canon doesn't force anyone to do anything.

You are correct. And that's why thousands of buyers are fragmenting to other brands.

Because the other brands don't have the "pay to play" business model. ::) :eek:

Besides, Canon eats their lunch every single day. Like I said: It is "pay to play" everywhere... including over at Sony, Nikon, Fuji, etc... None of these threatens Canon's market share. None.

So, when are you going to jump ship? Answer: Never.

There is no god-given law that says Canon will always be the company that sells the most cameras.

As a Canon buyer, I would gladly stay with them if they release products that I consider a good value.

If they don't, I'll jump ship. I'm pretty sure other buyers think as I do.

A premium camera released during the second half of 2017 with no flavor of 4k is not a good value for me.

This ain't a cheap hobby.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
The day will come when I eat my bitter words, but 14 years of using CF and SD cards in Asia and the USA, all kinds of weather, I've never had one fail. When I do have an occasional important and/or paid session, I use a backup card to CMA, but most of the time I don't like dealing with two of them. I guess I could always leave an SD card in and format it each time I put the CF back in.

(I did have a thumb-drive get corrupted once, but was able to recover with the SanDisk tool. About 10 years ago.)
+1

The - by far - biggest risk of loosing your pictures is when you take the card medium out of your camera. Medium can be lost, damaged, suffer magnetic exposure, get washed, get stolen etc. etc. This is the risk to reduce first and foremost.

Upvote 0
Nininini said:
lgn55063 said:
When I want videos, I use a Canon portable video camera.

Can someone please explain why 4k is so important in a "stills" camera?

I had to actually look up what a "Canon portable video camera" means.

Last time I saw a camcorder out in the wild was probably 10 years ago.

I hope that answers your question.

dgfdgdgdg.jpg

You're going to hate me, but (not joking) there were 2 different parents recording my daughters preschool "graduation" ceremony with camcorders today.

Edit: The rest of them were using smartphones to video. The few people (like myself) that had ILC's were only taking still with them. Personally I can't stand using my SLR for video - I think , like has been said a few times here, that it's an incredibly kludgy and non-ergonomic platform for video. It gives people who can't afford 10k$ cameras large sensor video if they want it, but at the cost of being very lousy to use.

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Luds34 said:
Nininini said:
-4k video recording is the standard on every mid to high-end smartphone
-4k is the standard for all new TV
-4k is the main selling points of the latest consoles
-4k is supported by the biggest video distribution sites like youtube and netflix

1080p no longer is the standard

Easy there on the "standard". I know you hip, cool, kids really like the interwebs and all, but last I checked "the standard", broadcast television isn't there yet.

Please don't confuse the "latest greatest tech" with "the current standard". The compact disk was invented in the 70's. It became the standard more then 25 years later.

You want 4k, great, but stop calling it the standard. It is clearly not "the standard" anywhere. It's become nauseating. A thread on the 6D2 has turned into how we all can't live without 4k content in our lives. I truly question how many of you "can't live without 4k" folks actually ever leave the house and shoot (stills or video). Or gasp, what did you do a few years ago, pre 4k days... did you just choose not to create any content at all?
A++

Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
CanonFanBoy said:
Nininini said:
tr573 said:
To be fair, you said everyone with a phone is "shooting" 4k, not "has access to" 4k.

Ok fine, you knew what I meant, the point is that 4k is omnipresent on smartphones and is the new video standard.

(and let's not pretend smartphones are not related to the ILC market, most video being shot right now is being shot on a smartphone, smartphones and online distribution platforms like youtube and netflix are in fact determining the codec and distribution standards for video in 2017)

-4k video recording is the standard on every mid to high-end smartphone
-4k is the standard for all new TV
-4k is the main selling points of the latest consoles
-4k is supported by the biggest video distribution sites like youtube and netflix

1080p no longer is the standard

It is incredibly hard to justify what canon is doing leaving out 4k on brand new cameras. And not just on the 6D, the 80D doesn't have it, new 7D will probably not have it, none of the rebels have it.

It's especially annoying for people because these cameras are expensive, and aren't refreshed yearly like smartphones.

If you're still stuck with that 6D Mark II in 2020, where everyone and their mom is shooting in 4k, you're going to look back on your camera and really be disappointed if you need to shoot any video. You'll also have a really hard time if you ever need to resell your camera.

If canon was using the full sensor for video canon might have an excuse, but they are cropping and line skipping, there is no excuse for leaving out 4k.

Here's what you want. Now shut up. :mad: https://www.adorama.com/ptonebs40.html

Too funny!!! Watch out or this will git ya...!

Attachments

• DPP_0544.JPG
    DPP_0544.JPG
    985.2 KB · Views: 167
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
indiehorse said:
If I were a videographer seriously considering buying a 6D mk ii, I think I'd like a headphone jack and some kind of audio monitoring. I'd probably have a bunch of other concerns and requirements, but I'm not a videographer, so I don't know what they are.

I think it's telling that the 4k brigade seem only concerned about 4k. Seems like the equivalent of a stills photographer who's only concerned about megapixel count.

(Hi, I'm new here)

Welcome to Canon Rumors (and the Forum)!!! I hope you have "thick skin". And a good sense of amusement and keen wit. You will need it here.

I will never understand people who will complain about a product before it's even available, and one which, no one is forcing them to buy. And go on and on and on with their drumbeat and defend their position to the nth degree.

I do completely understand wanting a product that fits one's particular desires/needs. However wanting a new camera model to have 4k because you think it should, because you think that's whats hip (you feel REQUIRED) today, because the "marketplace demands this", to my mind, just shows a selfish arrogance combined with an entitlement attitude. (This is in reference to those making blanket statements about tech, adopted tech, the marketplace, etc. With no facts. These are considered specious arguments.)

There's no point debating whether it should have 4k or not. It will have whatever specs Canon gave it. Comment on it, be chagrined by it, or not. Then move on. Buy something else. And for those of us who could care less about 4k. No need to bash other's desire for it. But this endless back and forth betwixt ya'll while entertaining at first has become tedious and overly boorish.

Let's extend some grace to one another and recognize (as other's have mentioned/alluded-to) that many have different needs for a camera. At heart, Canon makes DSLR's for photographers (not videographers). They make Cinema cameras of various stripes for videographers (not photographers). A true 'video' person making documentaries what-have-you, will typically rather use a Cinema lens for their video rig. However as these are not cheap, might make due with L glass instead, or STM, or third-party manual offerings, depending on need and budget. If you are a stills photographer who likes or appreciates the ability to shoot video with the same device. Then having video in camera is a bonus.

If you want 'everything' in your camera get a Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Nikon, or Olympus - but understand and know each of these brands will have limitations and constraints of one kind or another too. Each to their own. But I don't understand this mindset of constant bickering. It has infected society at large. Everyone is divided over so many things. Crazy. We all bleed red last I checked.

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
And think of all the photojournalists and wedding and fashion photographers over the years who survived and thrived with a single roll of film in their cameras. No backup slot!

Never had a CF/SD card fail, but I do remember torn sprocket holes, film covers popping open, worrying about X-rays...

If Canon only served those photographers with "vision," they'd be out of business fast.

I wasn't asking them to cater to my singular vision, it is just that their camera systems don't tick the boxes that I need today, so I shop elsewhere. I still continue to contribute to their bottom line via lens purchases. I'm not so misguided as to rid myself of Canon entirely to make a point, so to speak. I simply buy the pieces from the manufacturers that work best together that best suit my need. Simple as that..

Upvote 0
FramerMCB said:
indiehorse said:
If I were a videographer seriously considering buying a 6D mk ii, I think I'd like a headphone jack and some kind of audio monitoring. I'd probably have a bunch of other concerns and requirements, but I'm not a videographer, so I don't know what they are.

I think it's telling that the 4k brigade seem only concerned about 4k. Seems like the equivalent of a stills photographer who's only concerned about megapixel count.

(Hi, I'm new here)

Welcome to Canon Rumors (and the Forum)!!! I hope you have "thick skin". And a good sense of amusement and keen wit. You will need it here.

I will never understand people who will complain about a product before it's even available, and one which, no one is forcing them to buy. And go on and on and on with their drumbeat and defend their position to the nth degree.

I do completely understand wanting a product that fits one's particular desires/needs. However wanting a new camera model to have 4k because you think it should, because you think that's whats hip (you feel REQUIRED) today, because the "marketplace demands this", to my mind, just shows a selfish arrogance combined with an entitlement attitude. (This is in reference to those making blanket statements about tech, adopted tech, the marketplace, etc. With no facts. These are considered specious arguments.)

There's no point debating whether it should have 4k or not. It will have whatever specs Canon gave it. Comment on it, be chagrined by it, or not. Then move on. Buy something else. And for those of us who could care less about 4k. No need to bash other's desire for it. But this endless back and forth betwixt ya'll while entertaining at first has become tedious and overly boorish.

Let's extend some grace to one another and recognize (as other's have mentioned/alluded-to) that many have different needs for a camera. At heart, Canon makes DSLR's for photographers (not videographers). They make Cinema cameras of various stripes for videographers (not photographers). A true 'video' person making documentaries what-have-you, will typically rather use a Cinema lens for their video rig. However as these are not cheap, might make due with L glass instead, or STM, or third-party manual offerings, depending on need and budget. If you are a stills photographer who likes or appreciates the ability to shoot video with the same device. Then having video in camera is a bonus.

If you want 'everything' in your camera get a Sony, Panasonic, Fuji, Nikon, or Olympus - but understand and know each of these brands will have limitations and constraints of one kind or another too. Each to their own. But I don't understand this mindset of constant bickering. It has infected society at large. Everyone is divided over so many things. Crazy. We all bleed red last I checked.

Attachments

• caution-insanity.gif
    caution-insanity.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 957
Upvote 0