Yongnuo to release Canon RF 35mm F2.0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It seems Yongnuo is throwing down the glove regarding the RF mount and autofocus capability. While Samyang and others have previously created autofocus lenses for the RF mount, they were told to stop by Canon apparently over patent issues. Now it seems that Yongnuo will soon release the 35mm F2R DF DSM for the RF

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
"For me though, the more interesting aspect is that it's another auto-focus lens for the RF mount. The more vendors that start making RF auto-focus lenses, the better."

Agreed - if this goes on sale normally, it would be more evidence that there is a practical change of stance by Canon. AF 3rd party lenses are what (I think) everyone wants, both for 'exotic' specifications, and simply alternatives (generally at a lower cost) to Canon versions.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
"For me though, the more interesting aspect is that it's another auto-focus lens for the RF mount. The more vendors that start making RF auto-focus lenses, the better."

Agreed - if this goes on sale normally, it would be more evidence that there is a practical change of stance by Canon. AF 3rd party lenses are what (I think) everyone wants, both for 'exotic' specifications, and simply alternatives (generally at a lower cost) to Canon versions.
The Yongnuo 85 f/1.8 has been for sale for years.
The 85 f/1.8 II is relatively new.
It does not represent a change of anything except to my knowledge every single 3rd party RF lens has been 85 mm.
There was one from Samyang/Rokinon and another one from Viltrox.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
It does not represent a change of anything except to my knowledge every single 3rd party RF lens has been 85 mm.
I assume you mean AF-lenses, and then I think you are almost right. But there was at least also a Samyang AF 14mm for RF-mount.

If you include manual focus lenses, there has been "a lot". The list hasn't been updated since August, and is definitely missing some, but probably includes most:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Actually many will be really mad in having available on the market lenses that are better then their OEM's and cost half the money; it will be fun.
In this case, it has a smaller aperture, lacks IS, is bigger and costs more than the 1st party alternative. So I'm not sure who the target market for this lens is, maybe it has less focus breathing and is better for video use?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Canon denying Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina and giving RF mount to these cheaper made brands with no customer support, or history just seems whack to me. Not saying the current AF 3rd party options are all bad, but they certainly are not the best lenses optically, and certainly not for customer support. Resale value is terrible as well.

• Haha
Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
Does anybody realy want to give away money for a lens with questionable and uncertain quality and performance, if you have a good alternative choice? For instance, you can buy a used EF 35/2 IS in good condition for 350€.
Yeah, I wonder if Canon doesn’t bother spending any money to fight these lenses because they aren’t that much of a threat. I wouldn’t necessarily take this as a sign they will roll out the welcome mat for Sigma and Tamron just yet, but who knows.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Actually many will be really mad in having available on the market lenses that are better [than] their OEM's and cost half the money; it will be fun.
I don't think that will be the case, at least not with Yongnuo. 15% of reviews (what little there are) on B&H and Amazon mention lens was DOA, or had severe issues.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
Canon denying Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina and giving RF mount to these cheaper made brands with no customer support, or history just seems whack to me. Not saying the current AF 3rd party options are all bad, but they certainly are not the best lenses optically, and certainly not for customer support. Resale value is terrible as well.
Maybe that's exactly why Canon allows this lens to come out. It is not a threat.

Upvote 0
This lens has been around for years. My copy is from Oct 2021. Yongnuo just calls it new every few years. There are even reviews for it online from Christopher Frost, etc. As the person above says, it's okay. Autofocus for stills is fine. It is susceptible to chromatic aberration. Continuous autofocus for video is not stellar. It was $325 at the time, and you still see it on sale for under $400 these days.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I don't think that will be the case, at least not with Yongnuo. 15% of reviews (what little there are) on B&H and Amazon mention lens was DOA, or had severe issues.
Of course I'm not thinking of this lens, but to Sigma Art primes and the Tamron 35-150; this Youngnuo lens is pretty cheap but doesn't offer any quality advantage, there certainly are EF lenses that can be bought for same, or less, being much better quality and reliability.

Upvote 0