Teardown: The Canon EOS R5 gets an autopsy

Apr 25, 2011
yeah, I'd be curious about a power sleep mode. There must be one in the specification.

that would be better than powering it off programmatically because then any maintenance the card controller is doing can finish gracefully before going to sleep.
If it's NVMe, it has a shutdown command. If a camera can use it to tell the card to "sleep", does the card need its own "power sleep mode"?

Upvote 0
There are reports that CFExpress cards heat up when in the slot even when not being used. I haven't got an R5 and can't verify this one way or another so perhaps someone who does can reply whether this is true or not.

If not it's just some careless coding by Canon where they're detecting card present for cutoff limits rather than card is set for recording.
What about the R6? That one only uses SD cards but still suffers from overheating in certain recording modes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Check what's Andrew Reid tried.
Only displaying the wi-Fi menu, without a single frame recorded or photo taken on his desk; and the camera already overheating!

Overheating or showing a warning that it might overheat in the future when using video? Could it still take stills and record in the regular 4k modes? If so, it didn't overheat.

Upvote 0

visionrouge.net

Video / Photography, China & Hong Kong
Jul 16, 2020
Hong Kong
www.visionrouge.net
Overheating or showing a warning that it might overheat in the future when using video? Could it still take stills and record in the regular 4k modes? If so, it didn't overheat.
Saying recording limit is 10mn,
and still counting down.. Until this reached 0mn, just playing with the Wi-Fi menu.
So 0 min could be recorded, without recording anything.
The camera was still operating on other mode.

There is a strong suggestion that a counter start more than an actual heat sensor to shut down the recording.

Whatever cooling device you are using, the maximum time is always the same and based on time the camera is on "video preview" mode.
It's consistent with Canon official statement. No one was able to record more than one Canon stated. It's even too consistent for being based on temperature readings.

(The Wifi menu is a screen layer on the video feed)

Upvote 0
This camera is purposely crippled to segment it from the cinema line. It’s not a limitation of the hardware, it’s a choice to protect the cinema line. I’m not sure why anyone skills be ok with that. Especially when Canon marketed this camera as a pro video tool that could be used along side the C300 Mk3.

Ignoring the tired conspiracy theory, you're sidestepping the question you're replying to. You stated something that was untrue (that the camera locks due to 'scrolling through menus'), and now you're doubling down rather than acknowledging you were incorrect. But you know what you said wasn't true, you're just here to spout unhinged nonsense.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Check what's Andrew Reid tried.
Only displaying the wi-Fi menu, without a single frame recorded or photo taken on his desk; and the camera already overheating!
Yep makes total sense... Camera can record for 4 hours without the cards but that totally common use case of sitting on a wifi screen trying to connect for an hour is not working....

EOSHD and Andrew need to be discounted for the complete horseshit they/he are.

The thermal protection is part of the R5/R6 design. Hopefully Canon has learned from this release and will limit innovation in all future releases because the internet cannot read a fucking manual.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
If it's NVMe, it has a shutdown command. If a camera can use it to tell the card to "sleep", does the card need its own "power sleep mode"?
Well the Delkin has lower power modes so you can throttle the I/O and supports different power states, as it depends on where it is being used. It also mentions the equivalent of shutdown which is the disconnect programmatically at the PHY layer. One assumes you can reverse that. PCs have different power saving modes, so not surprising that extends to other devices depending on where you might deploy them.

Oh and the Delkin supports TRIM also, so that would be interesting if the Camera has to do that every so often....

But either way, whether you do a lower power mode or shutdown equivalent, to save some power and thus heat, that only solves it for people who use an external recorder, which kind of defeats the purpose of internal recording for those of us who don't need to do lots of video, but would like to do some!

Upvote 0
If it could direct the heat to the chasse, it passively radiates into the air around the camera.

Sorry you are not clear. I'll assume that you mean the camera body (chassis).

If you mean to use the body as a the main source of heat dissipation, then it depends on the amount of heat generated and the thermal conductivity of the magnesium alloy body, which is relatively low. Then you have to figure in the dynamics of the heat transfer all around the camera. Because the thermal conductivity of the camera is low, heat will escape to the rest of the internals of the camera, resulting the in same situation. Then if you want to solve that problem, you will have to insulate the heat generating piece (the CPU) which then for a smallish camera adds bulk. Then if you are successful with insulating the CPU and then transfer the heat (also insulated) to the chassis, the user would then burn their hands?

Upvote 0
Well the Delkin has lower power modes so you can throttle the I/O and supports different power states, as it depends on where it is being used. It also mentions the equivalent of shutdown which is the disconnect programmatically at the PHY layer. One assumes you can reverse that. PCs have different power saving modes, so not surprising that extends to other devices depending on where you might deploy them.

Oh and the Delkin supports TRIM also, so that would be interesting if the Camera has to do that every so often....

But either way, whether you do a lower power mode or shutdown equivalent, to save some power and thus heat, that only solves it for people who use an external recorder, which kind of defeats the purpose of internal recording for those of us who don't need to do lots of video, but would like to do some!
TRIM is usually only needed if you delete.

The powersaving / NVMe mode though COULD be useful if you switched the camera to ECO mode.

Upvote 0
Sorry you are not clear. I'll assume that you mean the camera body (chassis).

If you mean to use the body as a the main source of heat dissipation, then it depends on the amount of heat generated and the thermal conductivity of the magnesium alloy body, which is relatively low. Then you have to figure in the dynamics of the heat transfer all around the camera. Because the thermal conductivity of the camera is low, heat will escape to the rest of the internals of the camera, resulting the in same situation. Then if you want to solve that problem, you will have to insulate the heat generating piece (the CPU) which then for a smallish camera adds bulk. Then if you are successful with insulating the CPU and then transfer the heat (also insulated) to the chassis, the user would then burn their hands?
Mag Alloy is low, but it's still better than air.

but yes, the better you make the heat transfer the risk of burns occur. Everyone also keeps mentioning this new EU law, but i'll be damned if i can find it. I'd love to see what is coming into effect.

Upvote 0
I honestly don’t believe that overheating has anything to do with this. I think it’s merely a deliberate crippling. With no memory card the camera does not overheat. It can run for hours. It can output 4K HQ for hours. Worst still I think Canon could enable 8K raw output on the R5... the HDMI port can support 8K @30p. Canon just choose not to.
We know Canon deliberately cripples cameras.... Who can forget the missing 24p debacle? Or the missing log? I’m not sure why so many are acting like the idea of Canon deliberately crippling a camera is preposterous?

With no memory card, the CPU does not do any processing to write to the memory card, hence the CPU will run cooler.

Upvote 0
Mag Alloy is low, but it's still better than air.

but yes, the better you make the heat transfer the risk of burns occur. Everyone also keeps mentioning this new EU law, but i'll be damned if i can find it. I'd love to see what is coming into effect.

Heat conductivity through air is low, but do remember, air has convection as well to move heat around.

Best solution is to reduce the heat generated.

Designing a camera to mechanically remove the heat is tough. Your article on the heat removal adapter shows that Canon has thought through the issues.

Upvote 0
I wonder if all this R5 heat talk has caused the internet to go into meltdown, I mean those servers kick out some heat right, but no one cares, no wonder they run internet cables under the ocean, bloody well need to so they stay cool...

As someone who owns a grip for the R5 and a spare battery, I do wonder, when my pre order finally ships and my credit card also reaches temperatures close to the core of the camera shooting 8k I wonder how I will feel about my new purchase, am I going to go to a shoot and have other photographers laugh at me and say, look at that idot with an R5, what a moron, he will be done in 16 mins (or less) as his camera will overheat, that said sat here in 36deg C heat I do wonder....will it.... maybe Mr Canon should help us all understand what's what, rather than leave the internet buzzing with all these mixed feelings, I for one do wish they would, or is this one of those Cameras that will always be a subject of HOT debate?

Even though she is bad, and does not mix well with others, I still love her, desire her, and I will, have her....my love, come home to me... #R5.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
This camera is purposely crippled to segment it from the cinema line. It’s not a limitation of the hardware, it’s a choice to protect the cinema line. I’m not sure why anyone skills be ok with that. Especially when Canon marketed this camera as a pro video tool that could be used along side the C300 Mk3.

So you've pivoted from it being useless because it overheats, to some wild conspiracy theory that the camera only pretends to overheat because of the cinema line?

Yeesh.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0