Canon and NAB 2015 in April [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We’re amended some information we’ve posted previously about what to expect from Canon at NAB 2015 in Las Vegas next month. Nothing below is going to change all that much, other than getting more specifications about the products.</p>
<p>CANON EOS C300 MARK II</p>
<p>This will be the star of Canon’s show. It will shoot 4K and you can also expect some minor ergonomic changes. We also think that it’s going to cost more than Sony’s FS7.</p>
<p>CANON EOS C500 MARK II</p>
<p>This is NOT going to be announced at NAB 2015. There’s always the possibility of a development announcement, but don’t expect a product you’re going to be able to purchase soon.</p>
<p>G4H COMPETITOR/FIXED LENS CINEMA EOS</p>
<p>We’ve <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/12/4k-fixed-lens-camcorder-coming-cr2/" target="_blank">reported previously about a fixed lens Cinema EOS</a> style camera, as well as Canon announcing a G4H competitor. We’re now pretty certain that these are in fact the same camera. We were wondering why we hadn’t heard anything about the lens mount for a G4H style camera. As it turns out, the lens is fixed and the camera will share the same shape as the Canon EOS C100 II, just smaller. This will be a 4K product and probably geared towards drones, though we don’t now how much “smaller” it will be compared to the EOS C100 Mark II.</p>

I guess their GH4 competitor could actually be more of a GoPro competitor than a GH4 competitor. If it's small enough to be placed virtually anywhere it could be a really nice asset. It would never be used as an A camera so it makes sense that it will have a fixed lens. Sometimes having a a fixed lens can be a huge plus since it's one less thing to worry about. I mean, Canon makes pretty good lenses as it is so I'm sure it will be just fine. It might end up being a bit slower though.

I see this as being more of an action camera to be used seamlessly with other Cinema EOS cameras. It's likely not going to be an entry level filmmaker's camera. So people looking to get a good all around camera can buy their GH4 and be happy. I think it might be wrong to compare something like this to a GH4.

Time will tell.

Upvote 0
jeffa4444 said:
Blackmagic and AJA both use CMOSIS CMV12000 sensor for their 4K cameras this is an "off the shelf" sensor so I doubt Blackmagic have anything that would be new sensor wise if using CMOSIS. They certainly don't have in-house capability like Canon.

Go here: http://www.atdelectronique.com/our-offer/bae-systems

And check out the LTN4625A entry. "Fairchild imaging is pleased to invite you to visit our booth at the Automate Trade Show, taking place at the McCormick Place Convention Center, Chicago, Illinois, United States, 23-26 March 2015. Come to our booth for a live presentation of the LTN4625A - our 12M pixel, 240 fps, 88dB high dynamic sCMOS Image Sensor! We will have people on hand to answer any questions you may have. Find us at booth# – 1196"

So, don't count BMD out just yet. (fingers crossed)

Upvote 0
tjc320 said:
I guess their GH4 competitor could actually be more of a GoPro competitor than a GH4 competitor. If it's small enough to be placed virtually anywhere it could be a really nice asset. It would never be used as an A camera so it makes sense that it will have a fixed lens. Sometimes having a a fixed lens can be a huge plus since it's one less thing to worry about. I mean, Canon makes pretty good lenses as it is so I'm sure it will be just fine. It might end up being a bit slower though.

I wonder if it would be more fair to compare it to the LX100 (though with likely a bigger lens)...

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Well, we can stop calling it a GH4 competitor then. Something that will likely be more expensive with a fixed lens is not competition, its a completely different category.

Could still end up being a nice camera, and its good to see Canon committing to 4k with their EOS line, but it doesnt compete with the $1-2k DSLR/Mirrorless cam options unless I can add a speedbooster and/or change lenses

Upvote 0
that1guyy said:
Again canon fails before it even starts. Fixed lens cam for pro video? Unless its an action cam its already failed.

You need to adjust your definition of pro-video. In the world of news and documentaries fixed lens cameras are common.

I was a press conference recently where I saw a guy with a C300 who had to change lenses frantically throughout the whole thing. Meanwhile I was pretty comfortable with my fixed lens camcorder with 20x zoom and a servo controle grip.

So I will reserve my judgment untill I see the specs.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Khnnielsen said:
that1guyy said:
Again canon fails before it even starts. Fixed lens cam for pro video? Unless its an action cam its already failed.

You need to adjust your definition of pro-video. In the world of news and documentaries fixed lens cameras are common.

I was a press conference recently where I saw a guy with a C300 who had to change lenses frantically throughout the whole thing. Meanwhile I was pretty comfortable with my fixed lens camcorder with 20x zoom and a servo controle grip.

So I will reserve my judgment untill I see the specs.

How large was the sensor on your camera? Canon makes XF100/105/200/205/300/305 fixed lens camcorders for news and documentary use. (I've seen an XF305 used in a couple documentaries.) But all of them have sensors (much) smaller than APS-C. Also, a 20X, for example 24-480mm, would be pretty large and expensive for an APS-C camcorder.

Update: On second thought, a 17-340mm lens might not be all that bad on an M-mount camcorder.

Upvote 0

OMD

Mar 20, 2015
Based on this and the previous rumors, I think it's gonna be just another camcorder with a small sensor. If it's a 1" sensor it could be interesting if paired with a fast lens like a 24mm-135mm f2. Given the RX10 is 24-200 f2.8 such a lens is certainly doable. But the lens will more likely be something like 28mm to 350mm f2.8 to f5.6, with most of the range being f4-5.6. Definitely not a GH4 competitor if this is what it turns out to be.

Upvote 0