Canon Working on Full Frame Fixed Lens Camera? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told that Canon is readying a fixed lens full frame camera. It sounds like a camera to compete with the Leica Q and Sony RX1R II. We’re told the camera will have a 35mm f/2L IS lens. Such a camera would likely cost at least $3000USD. Remember, CP+ is coming at the end of February and that is sometimes a show Canon makes a splash at.</p>
<p>This is the first time we’ve heard of such a camera coming, so treat the information accordingly.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Jul 21, 2010
jebrady03 said:
If it comes to fruition, I'd imagine they'd go with a different optical formula than the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM. It's a fantastic lens, and small (which is appropriate) but I would think they'd want even better performance if they're going to play in that price range.

I think you missed a letter. The rumor mentions a 35mm f/2L IS lens.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
There are three ways you build up the expertise to go FF mirrorless:

1) Start with a smaller sensor and experiment on EVF, AF systems, handling, etc. Iterate and improve. Once you have a slick, compelling product, you eventually get brave enough to step up to FF.

2) Defer the billion dollar mount decision and offer a fixed lens FF rig. Do the same -- experiment, learn, iterate, improve.

3) Pull the mirror out of an EF rig and let them use EF lenses out of the gate*. It may not be the final product you want to use (will be far thicker than needed for the 'please please please keep it smaller than my SLR' mirrorless faction), but this rig would have zero risk of dropping the ball on grip, controls, ergonomics, etc.

* yes, of course, 'The I don't need it to be smaller' faction wants this rig as the go-forward FF mirrorless system as it will seamlessly use existing lenses without adaptors.

All that said
, I would have thought #3 would have been the play before #2 ever happened. But, if this story is true, Canon seems to be taking a page out of Sony's book, as they of course did the same thing.

- A

Upvote 0

MARKOE PHOTOE

Photography is a love affair with life.
neuroanatomist said:
jebrady03 said:
If it comes to fruition, I'd imagine they'd go with a different optical formula than the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM. It's a fantastic lens, and small (which is appropriate) but I would think they'd want even better performance if they're going to play in that price range.

I think you missed a letter. The rumor mentions a 35mm f/2L IS lens.

...and a decimal point ::)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
privatebydesign said:
I'd be very interested in this type of camera. I shoot a lot with the 35 IS prime on a 1 series and would happily make a fixed lens 35 ff camera a replacement for a second 1 series if the focus, mp, etc etc met my needs.

I keep looking at Fuji X100S/T's but just can't get myself to give up that APS stop of iso/dof.

Ever the cheerleader... ::)

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
privatebydesign said:
I'd be very interested in this type of camera. I shoot a lot with the 35 IS prime on a 1 series and would happily make a fixed lens 35 ff camera a replacement for a second 1 series if the focus, mp, etc etc met my needs.

I keep looking at Fuji X100S/T's but just can't get myself to give up that APS stop of iso/dof.

Exact same thing here. I was totally thinking about the X100s, but I really am not a fan of spending over a grand on a camera unless it's full frame or has the features of the 7D mark II.

35mm primes are like the backbone of photojournalism, so I really couldn't complain about having a sharp full frame camera with a good, image stabilized lens. You could do almost anything with that, it'd be an incredible travel camera, and I'm sure the resolution would be good enough to crop into for at least 70mm or 100mm if you really needed it.

I just hope the control scheme is good! I need my aperture and shutter wheels.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
privatebydesign said:

The difference is that one stop of ISO/DOF costs you another $2k...

In the SLR world, there is much less of a gap from APS-C to FF for price (if you FF lenses already). Sony and Leica may not sell many fixed lens FF rigs like the Q and RX1R II, but those that do sell remain at a high asking price due to very little competition.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
YuengLinger said:
privatebydesign said:

And what, pray tell, is wrong with my interest in such a possible camera? Heck I even stated it would have to have a slew of specs to suit my personal needs to actually buy one, if it ever became available. But having a Canon version always makes the actual use much simpler for me, which is why I like my M as much as I do, things like flashes, remotes, etc are all much easier to deal with if they run the same ecosystem.

Sorry, I'll stop pointing out the various reasons such a camera would make sense for me and get back to the usual line here. What crap, Canon have really lost the plot on this one, Sony is eating their lunch and did the same thing years ago, why are Canon always playing catch up with their crippled specs and zero innovation? It better have at least 16 stops of DR or else I am jumping ship, I warn you Canon! It better have OVF. It better have EVF. It better have CFast and a tilt screen or else they are doomed. I need two card slots. I need true audio in and a headphone socket and if Canon cripple the video I am jumping ship. I need 4k. I need 5k. I need internal RAW 4k recording. I need high quality LOG and CODECs.

That make you feel better?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
privatebydesign said:
YuengLinger said:
privatebydesign said:

And what, pray tell, is wrong with my interest in such a possible camera?

Nothing at all. A high quality fixed lens rig makes a ton of sense -- for us as shooters, for Canon as a guinea pig to advance it's mirrorless aspirations, etc.

Whether it's APS-C or FF
is indeed the kick-in-the-butt question. With a fixed lens, I don't really care if it's Sony, Nikon, Fuji, etc. so one would think a Fuji X rig, Nikon Coolpix A, Sigma Quattro, Sony RX1R II and Leica Q would all be in contention.

- A

Upvote 0