Canon Working on Full Frame Fixed Lens Camera? [CR1]

One more "vote" or non-scientific data point for the forum. In late 2014 I bought the Fuji x100T after waiting for the third iteration. A friend (another pro and both of us regular Leica users in the past) had the x100S and we discussed the pros and cons a fair amount. I have since bought a mid-level Fuji interchangeable lens body plus two lenses to wait for the rumored - and now announced - XPro-2. I preordered right away, although I considered the Sony RX1v2 for its amazing sensor...

but.

The way I gather pictures with these Fujis depends on more than the pixel count. There's something that is hard to "read" in the specs. It's more like what shooting with an M@ was like. Just one body, always with you. Your face more visible, interacting with people as well as gathering captures.

I am bringing them on shoots more and more, even the vacation rentals, interiors. Non-people stuff. Am I forcing that? Maybe. Definitely whay goes to a gathering, some kinds of events. When the XPro-2 and a couple new lenses get in the kits by March that will be my kit for some gigs. Nissin got a great little flash ("i40") out for these systems.

Canon lost some $$. Is my small-dollar foray into this different system "on their radar"? I did consider $3000 for the Sony, because this kind of shooting is very important to me. Also, think of it as $3000 for a good lens with a very strong sensor at the back of it included. I paid $1600 for XPro-2 body, no lens. I guess my pro work is to support this, nowadays. It's satisfying, compelling to me.

I apologize that after reading closely four thread pages I skipped ahead to add this. Maybe all these ides were well covered in other posts, and what I write is now out of context for the way the thread is going. I felt that we need to know what we, the Canon community is building for group-think. Thanks to all who are adding viewpoints and perhaps propelling Canon to faster action. I admit to disappointment in Canon but they know what they are doing financially and will not do anything for us because our cheering section is louder over "on this side".

Upvote 0
it'd be really nice if it came with a 35-50mm f/2 or a 24-35mm f/2 lens. if I had the disposable income, I'd buy something like that. but the reality is, as a casual shooter, I'd still rather save up for the eventual 5D Mk IV and replace my 5D Mk III with that. it's tough to put a lot of money into a niche body when you can spend the money and have an all-rounder. for now, the G7 series satisfies my needs to an ultra-portable camera; perhaps over time they will bump up the sensor size in that or increase the aperture and amount of glass on their 1" sensor lineup.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Crosswind said:
YuengLinger said:
...seriously, who would you recommend a $3k p&s to? Family member learning? A pro?

"privatebydesign" for example. There you go :)

It's true, I recently went to Central America and took a 1DS MkIII, an 11-24, a 35 f2 IS and a 100L Macro. Of the 812 shots I have, 525 of them are with the 35, the 11-24 at 196 consisted of many bracketed images that I could easily have shot by stitching the 35, and I could live without the 91 images from the 100 Macro, sure there are some nice ones, but I could live without them.

That means I could reduce my camera bag from a 1DS MkIII + spare battery and charger, 11-24 and 35 f2 IS to a simple single body with fixed lens. Or if the shoot required backup I could take the new camera instead of a second 1DS MkIII, not truthfully as deep from a backup point of view, but very workable and if it was less imposing for people shots, had a true silent shutter and just did things differently then it would add an extra something to the kit.

If Canon do make something like this I am sure they will have done the market research to estimate their sales potential and apart from one or two snafus, North American EOS-M sales spring to mind, they seem to be pretty good at doing that. I wouldn't jump on it at $3,000 as I am not an early adopter, but I could easily see myself transitioning to a single 1DX MkII and one of these rumoured fixed lens FF cameras from the two 1DS MkIII's and EOS-M I currently use.

As for the P&S epithet, I don't care what people call it, just what images come out of it.

Upvote 0