There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

Nov 1, 2012
I have been hired by Filipino families to photograph funerals. As I grew up in the Philippines I knew it was a thing.

I've only been to Finnish and Japanese funerals. So why wouldn't there be a photographer? Is that not good? (asking seriously, I did shoot one for a friend in Finland too so I didn't know there's something wrong with that)

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Why do you need four dials to control three variables?

Maybe one is for exposure comp? Yes, in FV mode you can control that too, in case you're happy to leave a couple of the others in "auto" mode. So, if you right now want to control aperture and shutter speed, you can either then control ISO, or let the camera pick the ISO, with exposure compensation. It does work.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
What does exposure compensation do if you are in a mode that has a dial to control the only three exposure factors?

When in Manual mode, I typically set the ISO to Auto then use exposure compensation to fine tune exposure.

I probably won’t need this if the Metering is linked to the focus point like the 1Dx series. Hence I wish the R5 will include this feature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I shoot manual a lot and with ISO in Auto. Exposure compensation help when I want to under or over expose a scene without have to change the ISO mode from Auto.

When in Manual mode, I typically set the ISO to Auto then use exposure compensation to fine tune exposure.

I probably won’t need this if the Metering is linked to the focus point like the 1Dx series. Hence I wish the R5 will include this feature.

Then you still only need three dials!

If you are in 'manual' with auto iso you need three dials, one for shutter speed, one for aperture and one for EC. If you are in actual manual then you need three dials, one for shutter speed, one for aperture and one for iso, there is no EC in actual manual mode.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
One thing is certain: Canon wouldn't be making f/7.1 L zooms and f/11 primes if they didn't have insane (as in industry-shaking) improvements in store for high ISO noise. Canon must have achieved current f/5.6-level IQ at f/11. So that's the amount of light/improvement we're talking about here – at minimum, IMO.
I don't believe that for a second.

There is nothing to gain in high iso DR as all manufacturers are within a hairsbreadth of each other. https://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Canon EOS 1D X Mark III,Nikon D5,Nikon D6,Sony ILCE-9M2

1593671629624.png

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Then you still only need three dials!

If you are in 'manual' with auto iso you need three dials, one for shutter speed, one for aperture and one for EC. If you are in actual manual then you need three dials, one for shutter speed, one for aperture and one for iso, there is no EC in actual manual mode.

Wrong. On the R and in Manual mode and ISO to Auto. I can set the Control Right for exposure compensation. So I want the 4th dial for ISO.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
There is nothing to gain in high iso DR as all manufacturers are within a hairsbreadth of each other.
Actually you probably mean nothing to gain in high ISO shadow noise, as with an ISO invariant sensor you could just use base ISO through the whole range and have base ISO dynamic range all the way to "ISO102400" or whatever the marketing team wants to put out. ;)

Upvote 0
Why do you want to move the ISO if you have it in auto? That is the question.

That's because the point of FV is so that you don't need to have PASM dial any more. Want A, just adjust dial for aperture. Want manual with auto ISO, adjust dial for aperture and shutter, with compensation available. Want full manual, adjust aperture, shutter and ISO. And you can go back to full auto with just one button. That's the beauty of FV. Right now the implementation is using two dials, I'm hoping with four dials, they enable instant access to any variable, without scrolling like what you need to do now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

sobrien

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2020
FV+ mode, where you use each of the 4 dials (including lens dial) dedicated to each variable (aperture, shutter, ISO, compensation) so no more faffing about with moving from one variable to another with the back dial. And Canon, please make sure there is metering for full manual in this mode.

The beauty of Fv mode is being able to instantly set a value from whatever is chosen to auto. So essentially you can instantly switch between Av mode and manual and back again. The “faffing about” between the different variables is a necessary part of that so that when you press “reset to auto” it resets the correct variable. I guess you could have separate buttons, each dedicated to resetting a specific variable, but that doesn’t seem ideal either.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Why do you want to move the ISO if you have it in auto? That is the question.

Good question. When I am shooting landscape I can easily change the ISO from Auto to a particular ISO value using a control dial. And if I shoot other subjects like portrait or events I can quickly change the ISO simply by turning the dial.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
That's because the point of FV is so that you don't need to have PASM dial any more. Want A, just adjust dial for aperture. Want manual with auto ISO, adjust dial for aperture and shutter, with compensation available. Want full manual, adjust aperture, shutter and ISO. And you can go back to full auto with just one button. That's the beauty of FV. Right now the implementation is using two dials, I'm hoping with four dials, they enable instant access to any variable, without scrolling like what you need to do now.
There are three variables ss, aperture, iso, in manual there is no EC. In an auto or 'semi' auto mode there are zero, one or two variables set by the user and EC so again a maximum of three variables.

it never ceases to amaze me how complicated people make changing three values.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Good question. When I am shooting landscape I can easily change the ISO from Auto to a particular ISO value using a control dial. And if I shoot other subjects like portrait or events I can quickly change the ISO simply by turning the dial.
I'm sorry, we seem to be talking about completely different things here, I am not communicating the question I have for you in a way you can reply. Your reply didn't relate to my question.

Upvote 0