Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
A good source has told us that Canon has been asking select Explorers of Light and other professionals what they think would make a professional mirrorless camera “compelling” enough to purchase and use.</p>
<p>In the same survey by Canon, they asked specifically what the photographers thought about the Sony a9 and  medium format Fujifulm GFX 50s.</p>

<p>I will note that the likelihood of a Canon medium format camera coming to market is slim-to-none at best, perhaps it was more to gauge the interest in higher resolution cameras.</p>
<p>I’m not sure of when these questions were being asked, but if it was recently, that would likely tell us that a full frame mirrorless professional camera is not in the near future.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
basisunus said:
1. Standard EF mount without adapter;
2. Solid build quality on par with 7D;
3. Hot shoe and wireless/radio flash control;
4. No builtin flash;
5. Wireless/detachable touch LCD display that can also clip on;
6. Relatively deep grip.
Basically a light-weight and compact 7D that can make a capable companion for a 1D.

I like all thoese things, though wireless/detachable touch LCD introduces another battery issue. I'd be fine with some sort of articulation on the screen, even if it's only tilting.

The grip also needs to be not vertically diminutive.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
basisunus said:
4. No builtin flash;
6. Relatively deep grip.
Basically a light-weight and compact 7D that can make a capable companion for a 1D.
So basically a 6D sized camera without mirror.

Upvote 0
basisunus said:
4. No builtin flash;
6. Relatively deep grip.

Make that with default adapter for EF lenses. It will companion the deep grip. EF-EF

Detachable display needs a battery build in and a phone is a better option.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
frankenbeans said:

Seriously? From what I had seen recently pro video content creators working with the sub cinema class cameras are turning away from 4k. They do want high quality 4:4:2 high frame rate 1080, preferably with a good Log profile, they also want Canon color science and flip out touch screens, good battery life and unconstrained internal and external recording depending on their specific use in any given scenario.

As I have seen 4k is becoming less well accepted in anything but a truthfully pro production, in which case the proposed camera isn't a primary choice. Yes 4K is becoming more popular, just not in the market segment this new line of cameras will occupy.

Upvote 0
Here's my request list, and I really honestly would buy at least one of these immediately and use it to earn my livelihood (I'm an un-invited professional, but I figure they already know what I like, I've said so here lots of times!):

1) Please DON'T be compelled to stick to an EF mount! This is an opportunity to optimize an entire system to a short flange-distance mount! I know I'm going to rile up the "I've got a hundred old lenses I can't bear to use an adapter with" faction... But to build-in permanent dead space for a non-existant mirror box is ludicrous.

2) Include an EF adapter!

3) A built-in viewfinder as in the Leica M9 or Hasselblad X1D, ie: no bump, or minimal if absolutely necessary. It doesn't have to be centered on top.

4) A 4:3 aspect ration would be wonderful (without wasting cropped-out pixels) but I'd be happy with the ol' 2:3

5) Lots of resolution, like 5DS ballpark, no more than that is necessary.

6) I personally don't need blazing autofocus or burst rates, or video for that matter. But that's just me.

7) This is a big one: To go with, develop a razor sharp 20 mm or so TSE that will take front filters (or a built-in polarizer!).

eight) No built-in flash. Wasted body volume for a camera that will have modern super-high ISOs. Buy a real flash if you need one!

OK, I've probably pissed-off enough people--my apologies to the world.

(and Bean's idea of a dual-format body sounds great...)

Upvote 0

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
Give me an A7RIII with the Canon name on it and a Canon mount. After the very underwhelming 5DIV and massively disappointing 6DII I want to see Canon excite us. I saved up £2000 for the 6DII before it was announced and now even if it was £1000 I wouldn't buy it. I'd like to spend that money of a competitive Canon mirrorless.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Aaron D said:
7) This is a big one: To go with, develop a razor sharp 20 mm or so TSE that will take front filters (or a built-in polarizer!).

Surely a TS-E lens will be at the top of Canon’s list for a new lens mount. I’m surprised there’s not a TS-E lens for the EOS M series yet.

Oh, wait...I’m not.

Upvote 0

hne

Gear limits your creativity
Jan 8, 2016
Easy, peasy! Take the 6DmkII, switch to the 5DmkIV sensor and remove the mirror. Place an LCD where the focus screen is and lock the camera in live-view mode.

Bonus points if you:
  • Add zebras and/or focus peaking
  • Cram an EX-RT wireless radio trigger in there somewhere (perhaps where the PDAF module is no longer needed?)
  • Fit an AF point selection joystick
  • Improve the face detect to focus on closest eye

Upvote 0
Canon is so far behind at this point they should just keep making DSLR's and focus on quality lenses. If you want mirrorless buy a Sony and use Canon glass. Or if you don't care about FF go with Fuji. I've used Canon for the duration of my 40 years in journalism. Went through the the change from FD to EOS and took a beating. I had 18 lenses and six camera bodies. I have 4 M5s in addition to a couple DSLR I can use when shooting sports. I use the M5 75% of the time. But basically the 22 EF-M is the only modern Canon lens I use. I have several of the other EF-m lenses, but I use Rokinons, and Canon FD lenses most of the time because I need something faster than f6.3.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
These lists are a bit too specific. I think it's all about the mount and Canon cannot afford to muck that up. That's the one decision they can't undo.

For the professional user, full mount EF all the way. It basically needs to be a 5D4 without a mirror and with an EVF, more or less. That's 80% on target and they can refine the specifics from there, perhaps add a tilty-flippy or wait for the 5DS2 sensor instead.

For the enthusiast, I think they are at a 50-50 thin vs. Full EF impossible decision point. If a full EF mirrorless 'pro' rig is happening, good luck financially justifying even a partial line of new lenses just for the 6D-level user who wants to keep it small. (Still may happen, though.)

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Aaron D said:

Surely a TS-E lens will be at the top of Canon’s list for a new lens mount. I’m surprised there’s not a TS-E lens for the EOS M series yet.

Oh, wait...I’m not.

+1. Aaron, you may want this, but this might be priority #374 for a new mirrorless mount for Canon.

(And what's wrong with the 24mm T/S? It takes filters, doesn't it?)

- A

Upvote 0
basisunus said:
4. No builtin flash;
6. Relatively deep grip.
... And what you're seeing here is why Canon ask a small number of pros and not randoms on forums.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ditboy said:
Canon is so far behind at this point...

Think about what you just said. They said the same thing in general before EOS M and yet you now own four M5s. ::)

...now apply that to FF.

They don't care that they are behind the internet's expectations.

They care that their own customers will buy them in nontrivial percentages once they are offered.

- A

Upvote 0
#### Canon ####

I hope you are reading this.

You guys need to stop short cutting us. I've been a long time loyal canon user. Give us 4k full frame with usable codec. Make dual native ISO. Make it a user friendly Hybrid for photo and video. Add 5axis stabilizer. MUST be EF mount, otherwise I won't invest in a newer mount, and newer lenses. Make C-log as standard, or have a very good dynamic range. Must be Touch AF, phase detect, not contrast detect. Your lack of innovation makes me want to buy a Sony or Panasonic.

1. Full Frame with EF mounts
2. 4K full Frame with "usable" codecs @ 60fps
3. Pro-res, C-log as standard not upgrades
4. Dual native ISO
5. 20-ish Megapixel with great Low light performance.
6. Touch Autofocus
7. Articulating LCD Screen
8. 5 axis stablizer
9. 12 FPS
10. Focus Peak, zebra, etc.
11. 4:2:2 - 10bit video
12. Weatherseal
13. High Flash sync maybe up to 1000/s without HSS
14. Timecode
15. Better phone app
16. Faster Wifi/bluetooth
17. New touchscreen menu system, similar to any modern phone