Canon Asking Select Professionals What They Want in a Mirrorless Camera

I’m sure Canon will get an earful from the Pros that they asked. Problems arise if they start compromising to meet self imposed targets for price, size weight, sales quantities, etc. A pro level camera should be fast handling and rugged, without a ton of fun features, but cost $6-7K U.S. The Pro-sumer version is the one that a lot of us want (5Dx equivalent).

Upvote 0
Ditboy said:
Canon is so far behind at this point they should just keep making DSLR's and focus on quality lenses.

Canon isn't behind one bit. They, Sony, and Panasonic have all been making mirrorless cameras for a couple of decades now in the form of video cameras, and they all have roughly the same level of technology. They do, however, have different business strategies for migrating that tech down to smaller form factor cameras with stills capabilities. And often, being a "first mover" is a losing business strategy, but sometimes it isn't. Only time will tell.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Yasko said:
I can only hope that Canon releases a mirrorless at the price point around 2000$ eith full format sensor. Basically a M5 scaled up with fully flippable screen and having learned from the M5's weaknesses such as only one card slot, bad battery life and af performance.

Or, put another way, a 6D2 with extra stuff for the same price.

I don't think that's going to happen.

Canon will mark up the initial FF mirrorless offering above it's SLR equivalent, i.e. if the first FF mirrorless is 6D2-spec'd, it'll cost $2300-2500, if it's 5D4-spec'd, it'll cost $3500 or so.

Again: they are not competing with Sony with their price, value proposition, etc. They will simply be taking money from pent up Canonites who have been waiting for this.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
To pros size would not be a huge issue, grip and ergonomics trump size. Oh and battery life. There is nothing precluding Canon from offering EF mount now and adding another mount later if sales are disappointing. Safest move is EF mount. If pros are being asked now maybe Canon will start with a lesser version like they did with the M series. They could use a 6D-ish mirrorless with a better sensor to pop between a discounted 6D2 and 5DIV right now.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sithaputh said:
4. Dual native ISO

I've never shot this with ML. Would this not hamper the frame rate, buffer, etc?

Sithaputh said:
8. 5 axis stablizer

If it's full EF mount, you aren't adapting old lenses, so what do you need IBIS for? Canon sells lenses with IS that outperform IBIS, do they not?

Sithaputh said:
13. High Flash sync maybe up to 1000/s without HSS

That would require leaf shutter lenses, right? That's not happening.

Lovely list you gave, it would be a terrific camera. But my guess is you won't get much of that. Expect a mirrorless variant of the 6D2, 5D4 or 5DS2 (if they wait that long).

- A

Upvote 0
If Canon posed these questions to their explorers of light (well known professional photographers) with respect to a pro rig, and asked for impressions of other mirrorless pro rigs (a9, GFX50s), then I don't think we can expect Canon to use the answers to these questions to decide on how to build an entry level full frame camera (i.e. mirrorless 6D). I'd liken that decision to asking what a race-car driver would like in an consumer car. Sure, the race-car driver may have an opinion on consumer cars, but what are the odds that the opinion would align with other consumer car buyers?

I would expect that Canon already has a reasonable idea of what an entry-level full frame mirrorless camera would need, and at what price point the market would bear. Asking for impressions of competitive high-end mirrorless cameras from professional users implies (in my mind) that Canon is exploring what a top tier mirrorless camera should look like to someone whose livelihood depends on performance of the camera.

Upvote 0
You don't hear too many pros requesting a smaller form factor. Sure, compact size can be nice, but traveling light is a luxury amateurs and prosumers put as priority over the entire ecosystem of an imaging tool. Given the choice of keeping EF in mirrorless bodies and offering a completely new FF mount, almost every pro is going to say keep EF. Heck the A9 got some praise because it was bigger than the A7 and offered better ergonomics.

Canon doesn't really need to reinvent the wheel here. Keep the exact same 5D IV form factor and replace the mirror box with an EVF and grant all the goodies that come along with that. Done.

Upvote 0
Please mount with short flange distance and an adapter which fits nicely onto the body.
I really want a FF body to use old FD glass with.

If it has native EF mount - I will wait 1 year or two and buy a cheap Sony 7 or Sony 7ii for that purpose for some hundreds of bucks. Sony helps by bringing out refreshed models frequently.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Take the M5. Make it a bit larger, of course. Switch the screen to articulating. Put in the best EVF tech Canon can muster. Keep the focusing, it's too good as is. Seal it up. 4k or not, I don't have a dog in that fight but if adding it means an unwieldy battery size then don't add it. Make the grip usable, not a finger pincher like Sony. EF mount, no adapter. Don't make size your first priority, but keep it 6D or a bit smaller. Trigger, high speed sync, no onboard flash. Dual cards. Joystick? Maybe not with thumb touchscreen focusing.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have been weighing up mirrorless for bird photography. Basically they all suck for BIF apart possibly from the Sony A9 and they lack the lenses. So, I want a Canon mirrorless that takes the LP-E6N and has blazingly fast and accurate AF and takes EF lenses without or with an adaptor. Oh, and Canon should make some lightweight telephotos.

Upvote 0
steliosk said:
- ef mount
- 5d4 sensor
- focus peaking
- dpaf
- tilt screen
- 5 axis stabilization in body
- bt/nfc/wifi
- ergonomics

why have anything less than other competators such as sony a7 series

Basically take the a7r3 and match all the specs possible, with an ef mount (either native or natively adapted) and keep the Canon ergonomic feel.

That should really be the minimum benchmark to aim for at this stage.

Upvote 0