Canon EOS 5DS Replacements Coming Next Year [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>We’re told that Canon mentioned the replacement for the EOS 5DS / EOS 5DS R in an internal presentation last week. The camera is scheduled to be announced in the first half of 2019.</p>
<p>The presentation only mentioned one camera body to replace both the EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R. I don’t think this change in the line-up would surprise anyone</p>
<p>Canon is still <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-shows-off-the-120mp-aps-h-sensor-shooting-video/">playing around with their 120mp APS-H image sensor</a>, and a big resolution bump in an EOS 5DS follow-up would be nice.</p>
<p>No specification information is available this far out.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

If Canon do plan on using the 120MXSC in the 5DS II, then let's hope they've figured out a way to maintain decent dynamic range up to ISO 6400 (at least on par with the mark 1 version). That'll be tough since the 120MXSC has a full-well saturation of 14,000 electrons, but Canon engineers should be able to come up with a solution to manage read noise at moderate ISO values.

Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012
Canon Rumors said:
<p>Canon is still <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-shows-off-the-120mp-aps-h-sensor-shooting-video/">playing around with their 120mp APS-H image sensor</a>, and a big resolution bump in an EOS 5DS follow-up would be nice.</p>

<span id="pty_trigger"></span>[/html]

Wouldn't this be the perfect time for a FF mirrorless to take advantage of the incredible resolution that would be available?

Perhaps a 160mp 5DsM?

Upvote 0
YuengLinger said:
neuroanatomist said:
Nice. I'll likely get one for travel/architecture, although I'd prefer a 1-series form factor with that sensor – the 1D Xs (or is that excessive?)

Sorry if I missed your explanation in a previous post, but why do you prefer the larger form factor?
For me just the solidity and bulk and build quality - I waited for a 1Ds mk4 for a long while and then when the 5Ds came out realised I wasn't going to see one, so got the 5Ds.

Over time my preference has faded a bit, but if given the choice I'd go for the 1 series body

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The current 5DS is my go to portrait camera both in the studio and on location and I really love the detail this camera provides. However their are downsides and I wonder if 120MP will only amplify those. Firstly you really need to work with a higher shutter speed to avoid camera shake normally at least one stop faster on anything between a 50mm and higher. Secondly the file sizes soon chews up storage and I had to completely upgrade to a pimped MacBook Pro to work those files at any speed so I hate to think what a file from a 120MP camera would do. Lastly the 5DS is not a camera for low light the noise can get excessive and its something Canon should make priority No.1.
Sometimes I shoot mRaw which drops the camera to around 30MP and still get plenty of fine detail but on the whole I shoot the full 50MP which was the point of buying it and Ive not regretted at all that decision.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
YuengLinger said:
neuroanatomist said:
Nice. I'll likely get one for travel/architecture, although I'd prefer a 1-series form factor with that sensor – the 1D Xs (or is that excessive?)

Sorry if I missed your explanation in a previous post, but why do you prefer the larger form factor?

For me, better ergonomics. I used gripped bodies starting with the T1i/500D. I find the 1-series more comfortable to hold than a gripped xD body due to the shape of the portrait grip (the 5/7-series grips bulge forward and backward, the 1-series only bulges forward). Also, there is flex between the body and a battery grip that can result in vibration when on a tripod, and the integrated grip of the 1-series doesn’t have that issue.

Secondarily, the 1-series also offer more customizations, saving settings to a card, AF point-linked spot metering, etc.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
It will be interesting what they do with it.
The 5DSR is a fine studio camera and tripod landscape camera.
It’s poor at high ISO and very slow in showing the picture if you’ve taken a few in a row.
Frustrating for wedding photography.
If they could fix some of those issues it would be great.
100MP would be overkill in my opinion.

Upvote 0
TonyPicture said:
BeenThere said:
Are memory cards keeping pace? ‍♂️

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9327963087/prograde-demonstrates-first-ever-1tb-cfexpress-card-with-1-400mb-s-read-speed

I hope that Canon are forward thinking enough to include the CF Express standard on future high end cameras, but I’m not getting my hopes up. Very few manufacturers get it right by including two slots of the same type; you wouldn’t have a RAID setup with vastly different drive speeds, so why would you want that on a camera with dual cards (which you effectively use as RAID 1)?

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
BeenThere said:
Are memory cards keeping pace? ‍♂️
Yes they are. UHS-II SD cards can deliver write speeds in excess of 200 MB/s. XQD and CFast v2.0 both deliver write speeds of around 400MB/s. And then there is CFexpress v1.0 which is more 2x as fast as(atleast on paper) XQD/CFast. So ultimately its upto stupid Canon to decide which memory card format to implement on their High MP camera which certainly be starved to bus speed to offload images to storage medium.

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/reviews/sd-cards/
https://progradedigital.com/2018/04/08/cfexpress-white-paper/
https://www.diyphotography.net/prograde-digital-announces-worlds-first-1tb-cfexpress-and-new-v90-sdxc-cards/

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
traveller said:
I hope that Canon are forward thinking enough to include the CF Express standard on future high end cameras, but I’m not getting my hopes up. Very few manufacturers get it right by including two slots of the same type; you wouldn’t have a RAID setup with vastly different drive speeds, so why would you want that on a camera with dual cards (which you effectively use as RAID 1)?

The reason that I saw somewhere is that two different formats gives compatibility with systems using either format.

Upvote 0
keithcooper said:
YuengLinger said:
neuroanatomist said:

For me just the solidity and bulk and build quality - I waited for a 1Ds mk4 for a long while and then when the 5Ds came out realised I wasn't going to see one, so got the 5Ds.

Over time my preference has faded a bit, but if given the choice I'd go for the 1 series body

Canon has evidently done market research and considers that the marginal revenue from making two different high megapixel bodies (1Ds & 5Ds series) wouldn't offset the marginal cost.

I don't think that they have fully considered the high end as a system: there are quite a few photographers that want both a 1D and a 1Ds model. At the moment, the best they can do is a 1DX II and a 5DsR, but these two bodies have a different enough control layout to bring cognitive dissonances when switching from one to the other. In a way, Nikon manages this better, as the control layouts of the D5 and D850 (and D500) are pretty much identical -you can even use the D5 battery in your D850 grip by purchasing the BL-5 battery chamber cover (which also nets you the 9fps continuous shooting rate).

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
traveller said:
keithcooper said:
YuengLinger said:
neuroanatomist said:

Canon has evidently done market research and considers that the marginal revenue from making two different high megapixel bodies (1Ds & 5Ds series) wouldn't offset the marginal cost.

I don't think that they have fully considered the high end as a system: there are quite a few photographers that want both a 1D and a 1Ds model. At the moment, the best they can do is a 1DX II and a 5DsR, but these two bodies have a different enough control layout to bring cognitive dissonances when switching from one to the other. In a way, Nikon manages this better, as the control layouts of the D5 and D850 (and D500) are pretty much identical -you can even use the D5 battery in your D850 grip by purchasing the BL-5 battery chamber cover (which also nets you the 9fps continuous shooting rate).

Are we sure that the 5DS replacement will have the 5D form factor?

Upvote 0