Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

Jethro

EOS R
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 14, 2018
The ultra speed of the A9III without its Bad IQ (low Dynamic, high noise).
But it will eat sales...from the R3, and the R5II will have to be at least +-60MP with an incredible IQ.

IT would be odd that Canon doesn't try to compete with a 45-50 MP stacked sensor...
If it was 45-50MP then the R1 would actually be competing with the R5. A 30MP beast sits between the R3 and R5. I suspect Canon see their high MP offerings being within the R5 range - so we'll have to wait until the R5II (probably later this year) to see where they go next.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why? Who is Canon’s target market – Sony and Nikon users, or Canon users? Do you think lots of people with high end gear jump around from one brand to another?
I think Canon's target market is... photographers. If it were Canon users only, the %% of the Canon's market share would have been shrinking at every release.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 14, 2018
I think Canon's target market is... photographers. If it were Canon users only, the %% of the Canon's market share would have been shrinking at every release.
Of course, and as a whole that's right, but at the high end the primary target audience is likely to be existing Canon pro users. The 1 series is aimed at pros, and new iterations (and they are largely iterations with updated features) are workshopped heavily with their existing pro users during design and development. Of course, they'd like to attract other high end users to change from their existing non-Canon equipment, but that happens less at the high end than the middle-ground where (I think) most on this forum come from.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Target market, “…for the R1,” was implied. Or maybe you’re suggesting that jumping into a new system starting with a camera costing $6K+ is common?

Upvote 0
Do you think lots of people with high end gear jump around from one brand to another?
Actually... yes I do. The people with the larger amounts of disposable income are the most likely to decide to chase the performance. I personally have seen tens of people that were shooting Canon 1 series bodies for nearly a decade then jumped ship to Sony (the A9). It wasn't until the R5 that the bleeding final stopped. I do think the 45MP resolution was a big part of why the exodus stopped. If I'm honest, the R5 stopped me from joining the Sony crowd.

Oddly, in this large number of people that used 1 series bodies in the past, very few transitioned back to Canon when the R5 was released. Even more odd, of those that did come back, very few transitioned back to the R3. It's actually been surprising how few decided the 24 megapixel R3 was for them. It was better, cheaper, and offered more or equal resolution to the 1 series or Sony A9 bodies they had before, but again, few decided it was the right choice for them.

Canon is making cameras for the audience they deem needs that camera, but my question is, are they using the wrong calculus to determine what bodies they should be making. I'll wait for word from Canon directly (on the R1) to give my opinion on that question.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Why? Who is Canon’s target market – Sony and Nikon users, or Canon users? Do you think lots of people with high end gear jump around from one brand to another?
It should be very clear to everyone in this forum that Canon's target market is all of the above. As is Sony's. As is Nikon's. This is simple Business 101. Success or failure over the long term happens at the margins, gaining or losing customers, sales, and profitability. Especially with these high end products that drive additional sales (lenses) small changes in customer count can drive large changes in profitability.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
It should be very clear to everyone in this forum that Canon's target market is all of the above. As is Sony's. As is Nikon's. This is simple Business 101. Success or failure over the long term happens at the margins, gaining or losing customers, sales, and profitability. Especially with these high end products that drive additional sales (lenses) small changes in customer count can drive large changes in profitability.
In general, sure, but it breaks down if you giggle test it with other companies. Is Bugatti's target market Kia owners? No. Is PhaseOne's target market smartphone photographers? No. Those are obviously edge cases, but they demonstrate that companies often artificially limit their intended market by the nature of the products they offer.

I'm sure Canon would welcome converting users of its competitors' products, but suspect they're primarily interested in:
  • Attracting existing customers to upgrade by developing products that they'll likely want,
  • Preventing existing customers from converting to their competitors' products by developing products that they'll likely want, and by vendor lock (e.g. lens ecosystems),
  • Attracting potential new customers who aren't already invested in their competitors' products.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
If I’m honest, I’m not really blown away by the specs.. Usually Canon is better than their specs so we’ll see. The sync speed is weird not being “any speed” like the Sony when you have pure electronic shutter. Resolution is disappointing , I expected 45 at least. AF will, as always, be the most interesting aspect. Sony have issues with sharpness using the the fully electronic, hopefully Canon as solved that as well.

No mention of Quadpixel AF?
Canon's popular worlds most used professional flagship sports camera has never been about high resolution. Always about speed, reliability and performance. Like for decades.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
A target market isn’t who you hope will buy your product, it’s who you design your product to attract.

To put it another way, if Canon launches a 30 MP flagship MILC to attract the owners of major competitors’ flagships at 45-50 MP, then either Canon doesn’t think MP count matters to those who own the 45-50 MP flagships, or Canon is stupid. Somehow, doubt either of those is true.

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
In general, sure, but it breaks down if you giggle test it with other companies. Is Bugatti's target market Kia owners? No. Is PhaseOne's target market smartphone photographers? No. Those are obviously edge cases, but they demonstrate that companies often artificially limit their intended market by the nature of the products they offer.
By using such irrelevant comparisons you just undermine the message you were trying to get across.
Canon, Nikon and Sony are competitors in the same exact market, meaning they target pretty much the same people for photography (with some variations when considering video). Bugatti and Kia aren't, and P1 and phone makers even less so.

I'm sure Canon would welcome converting users of its competitors' products, but suspect they're primarily interested in:
  • Attracting existing customers to upgrade by developing products that they'll likely want,
  • Preventing existing customers from converting to their competitors' products by developing products that they'll likely want, and by vendor lock (e.g. lens ecosystems),
  • Attracting potential new customers who aren't already invested in their competitors' products.
I do not see why #3 would exclude people invested in Sony and Nikon? You may argue that people invested in a system are more resistant to switch, which it certainly a factor. But I could argue that the whole (shrinking) population of users of dedicated cameras is Canon's target market, since there is also a resistance to buy dedicated cameras by people that are contented with their smartphones.

Upvote 0
In general, sure, but it breaks down if you giggle test it with other companies. Is Bugatti's target market Kia owners? No. Is PhaseOne's target market smartphone photographers? No. Those are obviously edge cases
Very much edge cases. Your examples are for companies selling products in very different price ranges.

Canon, Sony, and Nikon all sell similar products in similar price ranges. Not an edge case.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I do not see why #3 would exclude people invested in Sony and Nikon? You may argue that people invested in a system are more resistant to switch, which it certainly a factor.
That's it exactly, hence my suspicion that they're primarily interested in getting repeat and new customers rather than converting customers. Converting Sony and Nikon users is secondary, but of lesser priority.

This all applies only at the higher end. People who only buy kits or fixed lens cameras require a completely different strategy.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Very much edge cases. Your examples are for companies selling products in very different price ranges.

Canon, Sony, and Nikon all sell similar products in similar price ranges. Not an edge case.
And yet, we see (if rumors are correct) very different products in the same price range. If they were all targeting the same buyers, wouldn't we likely see a convergence in design and the competition be focused on MSRP?

Why does Sony not offer integrated vertical grip on its flagships, while Canon and Nikon do? Are they targeting the same buyer, or are they targeting buyers with different priorities?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0