What mirrorless body replaces the 1DX?

Jul 21, 2010
What mirrorless body replaces the 1DX? Is it the R3? If so, what does the proposed R1 replace? Thanks!
The 1D X II replaced the 1D X, and that in turn was replaced by the 1D X III. If you mean what replaced the 1D X III in the Canon lineup, it will be the R1, which is arriving right on the 4-year cycle for the other three cameras in succession (2012-2016-2020-2024).

The R3 was (as stated by Canon) not intended as a 1-series body but as a tool for pros looking to make an earlier switch to mirrorless. Time will tell if the R3 is a one-off or the first of another series.

Now, if you mean what should you replace your 1D X with, for me that was the R3 and I’ve been very happy with it for 2.5 years. But today, I’d wait a few weeks to see what the R1 offers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The R3 isn’t a flagship body but according to the reviews I have seen it beats the 1DX III in every way which is Canon’s current flagship until the R1 arrives.
Not every way. My 1D X could find and lock focus on a subject even when the lens was extremely defocused (e.g., moving from a close to a distant subject), and could focus on horizontal lines; I’m sure the 1D X III can, as well. My R3 can do neither.

Upvote 0
Great advice. I couldn’t figure out where the R3 fit in the lineup. I have a lot of very nice EF glass and planned to get the new R5 when it comes out and use a converter. Kind of wondering if I should go with the R1 instead. Mostly shoot kids sports, parties, and family portraits. i do want at least one mirrorless body with the newer technology. well, actually i want more, but $$$$. Thank you for your responses.

Upvote 0