Rumoured Canon EOS Rs Specifications [CR1]

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
He's demonstrating resolution by tweaking the sharpness slider on 5DS and not tweaking it on 5DSr?
I can't speak for dtaylor, but I guess he's using a tiny amount of USM to clear the slight veiling effect of the AA filter on the 5Ds which then reveals exactly the same detail resolved as on the 5Dsr. I believe that even Canon themselves never claimed that the 5Dsr resolved more detail than the 5Ds.

Upvote 0
I can't speak for dtaylor, but I guess he's using a tiny amount of USM to clear the slight veiling effect of the AA filter on the 5Ds which then reveals exactly the same detail resolved as on the 5Dsr.

And it's a fallacy, and I explained why in my previous messages.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I can't speak for dtaylor, but I guess he's using a tiny amount of USM to clear the slight veiling effect of the AA filter on the 5Ds which then reveals exactly the same detail resolved as on the 5Dsr. I believe that even Canon themselves never claimed that the 5Dsr resolved more detail than the 5Ds.
Please read my post to which you had replied: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/...s-and-lenses/high-resolution-eos-5ds-vs-5dsr/ where Canon claims in words and uses an image that the 5DSR shows more detail. If you argue that they didn't actually use the word "resolve" read this from

The EOS 5DS R is the sister model to the EOS 5DS and together both cameras represent Canon’s new breed of high-resolution DSLRs. The EOS 5DS R offers studio photographers, in particular, the most detail ever from its incredible 50.6 Megapixel high-resolution sensor, thanks to the inclusion of a low-pass cancellation filter that allows for maximum resolution from the sensor.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
True. Mine is 4 years old, and isn’t struggling one bit.

I’m really bad about having G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition System). And I keep looking at the new iMacs and specs then I feel silly because... well... mine is just fine. Absolutely NO way I can justify the expense.
GAS doesn't come into play for me at all in terms of my computer right now. I'm happy with my camera equipment. I took really good pictures with the G5X II on my recent travels. It is new enough that I haven't figured everything out, even though I had been using a G7X II for years. When I reach for me DSLR, I have no occasion to wish for a lens I don't have. When the weather is more pleasant, I plan to rent a TS lens to play with, probably the 24mm. My fear is that I will want to keep it, and send money instead of sending it back.

I need to put tires on my car before I get it inspected. But I wonder whether I should just buy a new car, since it will have new tires already. I fear that I might buy the tires and then a couple months later decide I want a car. So that is my major GAS issue right now. And really about the only thing I want a new car for is the backup screen, and maybe some other safety stuff, which I think will be more important as I get older. If it is decent out tomorrow, I may look at cars.

And Photoshop does such a great job with correcting perspective that I don't feel a need for a TS lens for the kind of shooting I do. But it would be fun to play with, so maybe a week is really all I need one for. I could treat it like a "staycation" and plan out photo agenda before the lens arrives.

Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
I hope they let down the resolution. 75mpx raws will be heavy as hell and, as a wedding photographer, Im more than happy with the 30 mpx that gives the eos R actually

(I add this due I didn't explain well myself in that original message):

I didn't explain well myself on the coment. It is a good camera, of course, I like a lot all of what I'm reading here and is really appealing. I also do some architecture works and I know that those 75 mpx will be really welcome to architecture/product/fashion photographers.

All I really want is a double SD camera with equilibrated specs like eos R is, as they compare (may be I''ll have to wait until a future R mk2). But this one, is a very good option.

I really love to work with canon, and I can feel that the "perfect" our (wedding photographers) workflow is closer than I expect. This time is for landscape,product and fashion, may be the next one will be to us :)

Add: Is also exciting to see the way Canon is getting with the new mount and technologies, good times are coming.

Upvote 0

wickedac

I'm old here.
Jul 19, 2017
Worcester, MA
My gut says 1/2*mm will be enough (absent any form of IS which would improve the situation). Anyone with a 90D or M6.2 could test this since the pixel density would be similar.

I've seen this mentioned a few times but the camera shake issue has nothing to do with pixel density. It's the increase in resolution.

A given field of view (say 85mm on APS-C or 135mm on a full frame) has a given number of pixels stretching across it. If you change from being 6,000 pixels wide to being 10,000 pixels wide there's a lot more detail within that frame needing resolving, nearly double. If you have just slight enough movement the 10,000 pixel image may resolve similarly as the 6,000 pixel image due to motion blur on the fine detail. The reason for the focal-length rule for camera shake in the first place is that the narrower a field of view. the finer (in absolute terms) the detail being resolved is.

Imagine using an 18MP 1DX to make a four shot Brenizer image using a 70mm lens, which will have a somewhat similar field of view to 35mm when stitched. That's basically what you're doing with a 75mp camera using a 35mm lens. You'd need the same hand-held shutter speed that you'd use with a 70mm lens on the 1DX, which for me is probably going to be somewhere around at leaast 1/125 or 1/160 if there's no IS.

Conversely, consider the pixel density on a phone sensor. It's FAR smaller pixels than a 90D. And I know a lot of phones have IS but many don't, or didn't until recently. And that still does nothing to freeze subject motion.

Upvote 0

ohm

AF Stickler
Apr 8, 2019
Japan
YouTube.com
True. Mine is 4 years old, and isn’t struggling one bit.

I’m really bad about having G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition System). And I keep looking at the new iMacs and specs then I feel silly because... well... mine is just fine. Absolutely NO way I can justify the expense.

I use an iMac Pro, and even it (base 8 core with upgraded 64G ram and 16GB VRAM) slows down madly under PS and LR. I know this is a hardware issue, because it runs through Helicon focus like the Dickens. My previous iMac from 2012 with an nVidia card was far faster at real time transformations and rotation in PS. If and when Adobe get their AMD legs fixed, the Mac will be a powerful platform. As it is, the older cards are better for regular LR and PS use.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
The new RF glass looks really nice, so it seems canon are on to a good thing here. My point is that I don't think canon will dominate the market as easily as they did with EF - Sony has had a good chance to establish, and they have kept releasing good lenses and new bodies themselves while canon have brought out the RF mount (I wasn't around when EF came out, but it sounds like Nikon waited for a lot longer to do anything about the market shift?)

You make my point exactly regarding the EF mount of over 30 years ago. I got beat up regularly in recent years by Nikon owners about Canon and the FD mount being abandoned. I pointed out that no one under 40-45 even knows what an FD mount is. With the Z mount Nikon finally joined the 21st century but over 30 years late. Canon with their vision created a mount good for 30 years then because it was electronic were able to make the RF mount 100% compatible with the EF mount which is great and amazing.This allows all legacy canon EF users to seamlessly transition, if desired, to the RF with no loss of lenses or features in the existing optics they own. Even Sony cannot make that claim as they moved from Minolta to all Sony. perhaps no an earthquake as the EF because the EF destroyed Nikon and now with Canon having the pro market and on top it is hard to make the same type of shift as they are there already. Their hope is to maintain dominance as they have and it looks like they will because they have the depth of lenses and services still lacking by Sony and to some extent Nikon.
One never knows though so these thoughts could be shattered tomorrow but for now I believe they are sound.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
My 5K iMac is over four years old. I ordered it with the best graphics card and processor at the time, and I maxed out memory and the SSD. Nothing I’ve tried slows it down, including editing 4K video in FCP X. The only thing I wait for is when Compressor renders a batch of video.

OOh....I think the new Mac Pro is supposed to be released for orders today....

Upvote 0
Still "Coming this Autumn" on the UK website :cautious: with the option to register for a notification.

Been like this for lots of months now! Apparently having issues with getting components from China....

Maybe it will change tomorrow.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Still "Coming this Autumn" on the UK website :cautious: with the option to register for a notification.

Been like this for lots of months now! Apparently having issues with getting components from China....

Maybe it will change tomorrow.
Chear up! In 12 days it will be officially Winter so they will be ... liars :D

EDIT: Of course when January comes it will be a new year and "coming this Autumn" could very well mean Autumn 2020!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This isn't correct. The majority of IBIS systems move on a series of surface bearings which provide a fair amount of heat transfer surface. It seems like many people think that an IBIS sensor is somehow floating in space suspended by magnets or something which is not true. IBIS is really not a big deal for heat transfer, just look at how the Sony 6300, which has no IBIS, has worse overheating characteristics than the A6500, which does have IBIS.

Bearings are optimised to minimise friction not heat transfer. I don't know what kind of bearings are used in IBIS systems, but in a theoretically perfect roller bearing (needle or ball type) the surface area in contact approaches zero. Bushings I have seen for low load applications often have a bearing surface of teflon which is a fairly good insulator.

Whether or not IBIS is a big deal for heat transfer really depends on the thermal efficiency of a given sensor - if the sensor is efficient enough, even poor heat transfer may be adequate. And it's quite possible that overheating issues of some cameras have nothing to do with the sensor assembly but may instead be a separate chip. In engineering, every design decision is a compromise.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I saw something on the interwbnet today that said if you got the absolute top of the line with everything available it would set you back around 50k(aus I think) or a bit more. and the base model(which will be good to use as a stable table is about 6k

Upvote 0
Chear up! In 12 days it will be officially Winter so they will be ... liars :D

EDIT: Of course when January comes it will be a new year and "coming this Autumn" could very well mean Autumn 2020!
They must have heard you - and/or cayenne has good sources, because sure enough the Mac Pro is finally available today (11 Dec '19) in the UK.

Now begins the decision process regarding specs - but I already know for sure that I just have to ensure I get the wheels on the bottom for a mere extra £360 on the price (NOT!!).

Upvote 0

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 MkII, Lumix G9, Lumix S1R
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Just looking at my R, I don't think adding an extra card slot would make a lot of difference -- assuming it is a second SD slot.

exactly, there is plenty of room to add a second card slot in the current R body design. I have an EM1-mkII and its even smaller than the R and has dual slots

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I saw something on the interwbnet today that said if you got the absolute top of the line with everything available it would set you back around 50k(aus I think) or a bit more. and the base model(which will be good to use as a stable table is about 6k

I played with the specs and got to around $7100

However, I"m held up from buying due to the lack of the Radeon Pro W5700X with 16GB of GDDR6 memory as an option.

They say it is coming soon....not sure what the hold up was, they've touted this as a choice from the beginning.

I was counting on this option being powerful enough for me to start with and likely about $1K above the base GPU offering.

I was prepared to pull the trigger on about an $8K MP.....and was hoping to buy before end of year so as to write it all off on taxes.

I'll keep looking to see if they put that up as a choice before Dec 31st.

Going with that next higher video card pushes my configuration to just over $9K which is more than I had planned to spend initially.

I did notice that they have a special till end of the year that if you use the Apple Card you get 6% off, which would cut the expense with the higher graphics card to about $8550.

I might can go for that.

I discovered about $400 cash back on a card the other day, that I used to offset my new film camera purchase recently, I need to dig around and see how much cash back is sitting on my Apple card and other CC's...that might help justify going a little higher than planned.

But overall, my guess on price was about right.

And my old Macbook Pro is really needing replacement, I just bog it down WAY too often lately with video and images I'm working on.

I'm looking to go for:

12 core CPU

32G RAM

One of the Graphics cards

1 TB SSD storage

And although I already have FCPX, I'm going to get the extra $199 bundle for education so I can get a copy of Logic Pro X, and the other tools to play with too.

Upvote 0