Confirmed: Canon EOS R5c to be announced next month [CR3]

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
Actually me too. After playing with the 4K120P on my R5 the last month, I'll take higher fps in 4K over 8K60. Who knows, maybe Canon will surprise us with a 4K180/240 with the 5RC.
I think this will only appear in a R5II. I am waiting for this one^^... with blackout free EVF and maybe 8k60.

Let’s see what the C brings to the R5!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Where are you looking at pricing? The 5Div was released in 2016 @USD3599 and then added the clog upgrade a year later for $3600.
The R5 is USD3900 so less than 10% price increase for substantially increased features (except for battery life!)
Exactly. But why let facts get in the way of a good whinge?

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Does Canon view the FX3 as the main competition here, or is it Nikon? Most people I know mostly want a Canon version of the FX3 that shoots better quality still images with much better native control/adapter of EF lenses. The rumored specs seems to be heading in that direction. Nikons are not exactly popular with video shooters.
The FX3 does not shoot better quality video than the A7S3. They are identical. That said, I do believe the R5C is inspired by the FX3. And that’s concerning. The FX3 has the same software as the stills variant; The same 4:3 rear display… Shutter speed rather than shutter angle. No additional video monitoring tools. And no excellent EVF. I believe the FX3 is actually a worst camera than the A7S3. But then again, overheating in practical use, was never an issue with the A7S3… rendering the FX3 largely irrelevant IMO.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
The C70 has a dual gain output (DGO) sensor, which some people claimed to be a little better than A7S3. The R5, even in RAW, is crap (https://www.cined.com/canon-eos-r5-lab-test-to-film-in-raw-or-not/). C-Log 2 is only going to help to the extend still less than its own RAW dynamic range.
Probably should share the more contemporary link, covering CLog3 and the Ninja V+: https://www.cined.com/canon-r5-external-8k-prores-raw-dynamic-range-lab-test-8k-without-overheating/

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Does Canon view the FX3 as the main competition here, or is it Nikon? Most people I know mostly want a Canon version of the FX3 that shoots better quality still images with much better native control/adapter of EF lenses. The rumored specs seems to be heading in that direction. Nikons are not exactly popular with video shooters.
Canon just wants to sell cameras.
They are not in any spec contest against Sony or Nikon

Upvote 0
hm, which camera do you mean for 2500$? There is none as far as I can tell which offers the same image quality the R5 gives you AND 8k AND 4k120 AND a highres-sensor with 20fps for photography.... All of these models are compromising on one end. Only true hybrids which are stronger than the R5 current in BOTH, photo and video are the Sony A1 and the Nikon Z9. Which are both much more expensive.
The person you're replying to said "The R3 is a great camera but unlimited record times is a feature Sony & Panasonic offer in all their weather-sealed hybrid cameras at the $2500+ price point. Hoping Canon competes." Your response not only doesn't address his issue, but is condescending and you make it seem like we should all genuflect in honor of the R5.

The simple fact is that the 29.59 recording limit is absolutely ludicrous on a body that expensive and other companies have excellent, cheaper cameras that don't have that flaw. The limit is arbitrarily forced on the user through software and there's no reason for it other than for Canon to upsell customers on more expensive cameras. Canon billed the R5 as the ultimate hybrid camera, it absolutely isn't that and they should join their competitors in removing the recoding limit. It costs nothing to remove.

I totally get that some folks have already said on this site something to the effect of, "then just buy a Sony/Panasonic/etc", but as someone that already owns Canon glass, it'd be nice if they offered a hybrid camera with no recording limit at the same price points as their competitors. We as consumers should expect more for our money, not stan for corporations and exclaim how happy we should be despite critical flaws.

Finally, in answer to your question:
hm, which camera do you mean for 2500$?
Here's a few that have both weather sealing and no recording time limits with their current prices -
  • a7 IV - $2,498
  • a7 III - $1,998
  • a6600 - $1,398
  • Lumix S5 - $1,697

Upvote 0
The person you're replying to said "The R3 is a great camera but unlimited record times is a feature Sony & Panasonic offer in all their weather-sealed hybrid cameras at the $2500+ price point. Hoping Canon competes." Your response not only doesn't address his issue, but is condescending and you make it seem like we should all genuflect in honor of the R5.

The simple fact is that the 29.59 recording limit is absolutely ludicrous on a body that expensive and other companies have excellent, cheaper cameras that don't have that flaw. The limit is arbitrarily forced on the user through software and there's no reason for it other than for Canon to upsell customers on more expensive cameras. Canon billed the R5 as the ultimate hybrid camera, it absolutely isn't that and they should join their competitors in removing the recoding limit. It costs nothing to remove.

I totally get that some folks have already said on this site something to the effect of, "then just buy a Sony/Panasonic/etc", but as someone that already owns Canon glass, it'd be nice if they offered a hybrid camera with no recording limit at the same price points as their competitors. We as consumers should expect more for our money, not stan for corporations and exclaim how happy we should be despite critical flaws.

Here's a few that have both weather sealing and no recording time limits with their current prices -
  • a7 IV - $2,498
  • a7 III - $1,998
  • a6600 - $1,398
  • Lumix S5 - $1,697
Each camera has compromises unfortunately. You have to decide which ones you can live with and choose from there. My only irritation with Canon is they do not sell the "ultimate" camera. My 1dx3 has auto focus which is not as capable as the R5. A C70, C100, C200, C300 etc have worse AF than the R5 and 1dx. The C70 is close, but has no EVF, and no full sized xlr's. I suspect the C200mk2 if one comes will be nice but who knows?

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI

• a7 IV - $2,498
  • a7 III - $1,998
  • a6600 - $1,398
  • Lumix S5 - $1,697
I would prefer the limit wasn't there too - but how is it "ludicrous" for a *hybrid* body? If your goal is to routinely turn on the video camera and let it roll for 60/90/120+ min, wouldn't a non-hybrid video camera be a much better choice on a variety of fronts? Because you're getting to the point where you are maxing out your battery and storage on video usage, and cannot use the photo capturing capabilities of that camera. In my view, a "hybrid" body is either photo or video first but reflective of a usage pattern where a mix of usage in a period of time is the norm. There's really no such thing as a purely photo-oriented mirrorless, so maybe a Canon shooter has a cine for long-form video and an R5/6 or R3 for photography and specific short-form video applications (b-roll, field shots, etc.) You can even retrofit an R5 to be better-suited to longform video by adding a Ninja V/V+ to it.

Upvote 0
It overheat in 1080 120p unfortunately almost as fast as 4k. At the end R6 is better regarding record time recovery and 1080p modes.
Has this actually happened to you?

I have never heard about any overheating in 1080p.

Perhaps there were other factors involved (wrong video C3 settings etc) as I cannot see this being normal.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Why would you expect a newer camera to do less?
I guess the question should be will the R5 Mark II do anything this doesn't.
Good questions. I suppose my original question boils down to: Is the R5c a true successor to the R5 that does *everything* the R5 does, plus enhanced video capabilities? Or will the R5 retain some advantages for still photography?

If it's the former (everything + enhanced video), then the question becomes why is it called R5c and not R5 Mark II? Canon has traditionally gone longer between "Mark" updates for its higher end bodies, so maybe calling it Mark II after only 18 months would risk pissing off a very profitable customer segment. Or maybe they just want to emphasize its enhanced video capabilities.

@peters mentioned weather sealing as another difference (post #62), since a fan requires vents. I suppose the fan will also shorten battery life, so the original R5 may have an advantage there too.

Perhaps the real "R5 Mark II" will be released when Canon is able to include all of the R5 + R5c features in a single sealed body that doesn't overhead and doesn't require a fan or ventilation openings.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
@peters mentioned weather sealing as another difference, since a fan requires vents. I suppose the fan will also shorten battery life, so the original R5 may have an advantage there too.
There’s no reason it can’t be fan-cooled and weather sealed. It’s not like the fan is going to blow air on the sensor. It just needs to cool the back side of a heat sink.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
There’s no reason it can’t be fan-cooled and weather sealed. It’s not like the fan is going to blow air on the sensor. It just needs to cool the back side of a heat sink.
The way I see it is that the important internals of the camera will be fully weather sealed, but the fan-cooling unit can't be, as it must allow a free flow of air (and therefore moisture and water) to the fan itself.

But I don't really see that as a major problem. Anyone using a camera (even a fully sealed 1Dxiii or D6) will take sensible precautions and use some kind of rain-shield in appropriate circumstances. Sure, it's possible to get caught out by an unexpected rain shower, but a poncho or even a clear plastic bag takes up barely any room in a pocket or cambag. Operating a camera with a rain-shield is a bit cumbersome compared with a "bare" camera, but there again standing about in the pouring rain isn't exactly comfortable anyway.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The way I see it is that the important internals of the camera will be fully weather sealed, but the fan-cooling unit can't be, as it must allow a free flow of air (and therefore moisture and water) to the fan itself.

But I don't really see that as a major problem. Anyone using a camera (even a fully sealed 1Dxiii or D6) will take sensible precautions and use some kind of rain-shield in appropriate circumstances. Sure, it's possible to get caught out by an unexpected rain shower, but a poncho or even a clear plastic bag takes up barely any room in a pocket or cambag. Operating a camera with a rain-shield is a bit cumbersome compared with a "bare" camera, but there agin standing about in the pouring rain isn't exactly comfortable anyway.
Waterproof fans are not difficult or expensive to make.

Upvote 0