Canon USA teases the Canon EOS R5c announcement

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
Do you know how ridiculous this sounds?
Not very. What people call carbon fibre is actually carbon fibre reinforced polymer. Carbon fibre on its own is not very useful as its flexible. Canon does use carbon fibre for a few items. Most of canons "plastic" bodies are made of polycarbonate which is a very expensive plastic that is actually far stronger than the magnesium alloy used in expensive bodies.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Do you know how ridiculous this sounds?
It’s correct. The fact that you think it’s ridiculous is telling. What’s ridiculous is complaining that a body or lens is ‘plastic’. There are literally thousands of types of plastic, from the cheap crap used to make 99¢ toys to complex composite materials used in aerospace, military and scientific applications. Many of those have properties far superior to metal alloys (which is why they’re used).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Love that Canon is going to resell us an R5 with stuff that should have never been broken on a $4000 camera fixed.
Remind me again what was wrong with the R5 on release (and better now with improved firmware)?
First and still the only hybrid camera to record 8K raw. Currently ~20 minutes which is more than almost all requirements for 8k clips.
Basically unlimited record times (8k, 4KHQ) using external recorders and certainly a cheaper option than internal CFe storage
Yes, the restore time after overheat is longed than ideal but hardly a deal breaker for almost all usage.
Yes, the 30 minute clip limit is a problem for long form recording.

Upvote 0
The master has spoken!
Indeed he has. He always thinks he knows all and thinks he is a wordsmith with his post-modernist use of words. He loves to be an insulting human and cannot take one comment of his criticism of others. Dude loves to throw red herrings, straw man’s and any other of the illogical syllogism of logic and debate into a mix too belittle people and act like a king.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
You do realize there are Photographers who also use their R5 for video right? MANY people who bought the R5 got it for because canon was hyping the video part of it so hard. Now put on top of that people, including myself, have had the R5 overheat while taking stills in warmer conditions.
The R5 doesn't overheat in stills mode. The overheat warning will flash during stills usage if and only if the C3 video mode is set to one of 8k/4k120/4kHQ modes. Those modes won't be available if that happens but no stills or standard 4k video will be impacted.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Indeed he has. He always thinks he knows all and thinks he is a wordsmith with his post-modernist use of words. He loves to be an insulting human and cannot take one comment of his criticism of others. Dude loves to throw red herrings, straw man’s and any other of the illogical syllogism of logic and debate into a mix too belittle people and act like a king.
I know a lot, but far from all. Learning more is one main reason I became a scientist. I’m happy to admit when I’m wrong. However, I am unapologetic for responding to ridiculous statements with the ridicule they deserve. Bring facts and data to a discussion, great. Bring your unsupported opinion that you believe everyone shares, well, asinine rhymes with ass.

But thanks for sharing your opinion.

Upvote 0
Well if they make it from carbon fiber like Arri Red and Kinefinity have done with their bodies, I would certainly welcome it. But that would cost more than magnesium alloy and let’s face it… there is zero chance the R5C will have a carbon fiber body. As for RF lens strength… I’ve seen more than a few videos like the one below. Why are the Canon CN-E lenses metal? Could it be to make them tougher so they can stand up to rental house use?
I’m not saying plastic is bad. But if you want gear that can take a beating, then plastic is not ideal. Does this really need to be explained in 2022?

I think that we would agree that not all L lenses are built to the same quality level. Canon's 24-105mm has always been at the bottom of the L lenses as it is a kit lens. That said, I haven't had any issues with mine or dropped it.

If you prefer metal lenses then pay for the CN-E lenses on EF mount or adapt them to R mount if preferred. They are only ~4x or more in cost than the RF24-105mm f4L. You could drop it to see if the mount breaks and inform us of your single anecdotal data point.
I am sure that Canon would be happy with your decision whether they are "tougher" or not.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Right on all accounts sir. He does know a lot. He is indeed a wordsmith. He insults. He cannot take criticism. He belittles people. Yep. But then, who is perfect?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I appreciate your participation in this forum. There are very few professionals on here and really I don’t know of anyone with your experience and expertise in filmmaking. Plus, despite your talent you are always humble. Don’t let the bullies drive you away. They will never achieve what you have.
Dear Unfocused. Thank you for such a sweet note. I appreciate your participation a lot too. I am here to stay! A bully is a bully because of having been bullied. They are hurting inside, and want to put people down to feel superior. So let's have compassion for such people. I am sure Neuro is a nice person when he is not insulting. And so knowledgeable. :)

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I know a lot, but far from all. Learning more is one main reason I became a scientist. I’m happy to admit when I’m wrong. However, I am unapologetic for responding to ridiculous statements with the ridicule they deserve. Bring facts and data to a discussion, great. Bring your unsupported opinion that you believe everyone shares, well, asinine rhymes with ass.

But thanks for sharing your opinion.
Damn they finally wrote a review about you. :LOL:

• Haha
Upvote 0
Have you been told anything else about how the body may differ from the R5?
The only definite information I have is what I've listed and those features will be in the camera. Anything else I don't know for sure.

The current opening post lists the R5C as 8K30 which is not correct. It will be 8K60.

So far what is certain which is not guesswork:

8K60
4K120
Internal RAW & 10 bit
No record time limit
DPAF and eye detect
Internal Fan
Priced around $4500
Weight 27oz

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
The only definite information I have is what I've listed and those features will be in the camera. Anything else I don't know for sure.

The current opening post lists the R5C as 8K30 which is not correct. It will be 8K60.

So far what is certain which is not guesswork:

8K60
4K120
Internal RAW & 10 bit
No record time limit
DPAF and eye detect
Internal Fan
Priced around $4500
Weight 27oz
8k60? All i heard was 8k30. I wonder if they will go dual cf express.

Upvote 0