Rumored Canon EOS R1 EVF specifications [CR1]

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
That is not what they said.
What they said was in Japanese anyway and people are quoting from Google Translate.
It was more in the lines, despite being a DSLR the 1DX III is still the flagship.
The next flagship will not be a DSLR.
I do not think Canon will make another DSLR but they never officially stated it.
You are right, I should have written ‘the last flagship Canon DSLR’.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Huh? I've never used the r3 but I can't imagine it being that much slower than my r5. I'm always accidentally activating the EVF and turning off the LCD when manipulating the touchscreen. You don't even have to get that close to the EVF sensor to activate it.
I've never used the R5, so I cannot compare either. The R3 has eye-detection, which is what is causing the delay. We're talking about fractions of a second, but it's enough to be noticeable and affecting my shooting (ie: I need to change how I hold the camera from close to my face to next to my eye).

It's a niggle that I think Canon could easily improve on (in SW), not a showstopper.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020

My problem with EVFs is that they disconnect me from reality. Instead they show my a high resolution copy of reality. With am OVF I still see things with my own eyes. The lenses just bend the light a little, but it is still the original light. The image in an EVF however is the same no matter if you watch it live or watch a recorded video later. I do not want to travel to another country and then only see a digital copy of reality there while I look trough my camera. Actually with a mirrorless camera you do not even look "through" your camera any more. Imagine something very memorable happens while I look at the EVF. Then I only saw a digital copy of it.

It seems these days you have to buy a very expensive medium format camera, if you still want a mirror. That is very sad. On a planet with eight billion people there does not seem to be enough demand for affordable cameras with a mirror any more.
You obviously have a very personal and meaningful opinion regarding the EVF vs OVF, so not trying to change your mind, but I have to wonder, do you not look at the skyscrapers with your own eyes before you look through your viewfinder? And how long do you spend looking through the viewfinder? It's hard to imagine that you are missing out on reality with an EVF for more than a few seconds at a time. And, sorry, but I have to ask...If you are so concerned about the actual reality, isn't your photo then a waste of time as it is not reality, but merely a copy of reality, which you so despise?

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
You obviously have a very personal and meaningful opinion regarding the EVF vs OVF, so not trying to change your mind, but I have to wonder, do you not look at the skyscrapers with your own eyes before you look through your viewfinder? And how long do you spend looking through the viewfinder? It's hard to imagine that you are missing out on reality with an EVF for more than a few seconds at a time. And, sorry, but I have to ask...If you are so concerned about the actual reality, isn't your photo then a waste of time as it is not reality, but merely a copy of reality, which you so despise?
If I am on a tall building and take tons of photos of other buildings, I look through the viewfinder a lot. What bothers me is that with an EVF the photos show what I did not see with my own eyes. Okay, technically that also happens with a DSLR because the viewfinder is dark while taking a photo, but that is only for the blink of an eye.

A few years ago the car of Queen Elizabeth drove through my city with an open window and she was waving to the spectators. It took just a few seconds for the car to pass and I looked through the viewfinder the whole time to take some photos. If that has been an EVF, I would not have seen this important historic person with my own eyes. There are other situations that go by very fast. Fireworks for example.

Of course a photo also is a copy of reality, but at least while I am there I want to see the real reality. I also have a big problem with drone photos. That is not real photography for me, because the photography is not where the camera is. So the drone takes a photo that no human really experienced. For the real experience you would need a helicopter with the photographer and his camera on board. Technically I could steer a drone from another country.

And won't we see hot pixels or dead pixels in the EVF sooner or later? That will never happen with an OVF. EVFs are still so new that it will take a while before we know how reliable they are.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I get the feeling you don’t like me ey bro?
Grow up. And let everyone speak his mind.
I dislike trolls, and I don’t respect those who post false information. You fall into both categories. You can speak your mind all you want, even though you have routinely ended up looking foolish when doing so.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The main advantage of the new mount is the shorter flange distance, but I would probably use old EF lenses anyway instead of buying expensive RF glass. That would negate the advantage of the new mount though.
Flange distance is not always an advantage.
It offers no advantage for super telephoto primes and leads to vignetting on wide-angle lenses.
The bigger advantage to mirrorless is being able to autofocus at lower apertures.
There could not really be an EF 100-400 f/5.6-8, EF 600 f/11, EF 800 f/11, or EF 1200 f/8.
Of course, those are not the most suitable lenses for skyscrapers.

I am not sure if Canon will ever make another super telephoto zoom since they seem to be going the zoom route but if they do then I think they should continue to make an EF version and just have a separate RF version with the same optical formula and same focus motors.
I actually think they should do the same thing for wide-angle lenses.

If anything, I think Canon should still come out with DO super telephoto primes like the EF 400 f/4.
Nothing against the 600 f/11 and 800 f/11 but those are not weather sealed.

Upvote 0
I've gone from OVF on the 5D to EVF on the R3 - I can safely say that I see no real difference in terms of 'lag' or waiting for it to be ready. Additionally, the low light capability of the R3 EVF made shooting night shots at Le Mans a few weeks ago incredibly easy.
Wow, that's a huge jump in technology from a 5Dmk1 to a R3. I think that's 5 generations of camera's and a jump of (previously) 2 tiers of product range. Well done sir!
Lets face it, if you have an R3 and an R5, there isn't anything anyone could want for in photography for some time to come. Evertything from a technical perspective is covered. For many the R6ii is so close in spec to the R3 that it makes a viable options. However, the EVF and stacked sensor seperate the R3 from the R6ii in terms of use case scenarios. The R6ii has fastest sensor read out speed of the Non stacked sensor cameras (ie everything that's not an R3), it's faster than the R5. But it is still 3 times slower than the R3. The EVF in the R3 and R5 are vastly superior to the common part found in the R6/R7/R8. The EVF's in those cameras is still very very good. But sometimes I just can't see critical sharpness in the EVF. 99% of the time the inferior EVF resoution is fine. But for the 1% when I'm wrestling with the AI driven AF...I need to see with more clarity. Sure I can shoot and gimp and reshoot and gimp...but that's not very professional. It wastes shots, card space, battery and time.

Back in my 5DII days, i used to fit the fine focus screen. I could literally see what was in and out of focus, but with a slightly darker view finder. I really missed that ability in the 5DIII&IV. But the single spot AF seemed to make up for it. It's particaulrly useful with the ef 85mm f1.2 L in one shot mode. It was nearly impossible to use that lens reliably in a servo tracking mode on the 5D3. However on the RF camera's that's all changed...the challenge is for the AI to work out reliably where and what to focus on / track. The eye tracking is great...it's just all the other non eye related stuff that it wrestles with...and I have to revert back to other "older" methods of getting an AF lock.

I really think that we are nearing the apex of photography technology witht he current line of mirrorless cameras. I think that each sucessive generation of cameras will have "nice to have" warm overs. Tweaks to the AF controls and switching modes, tweaks to the buffer size and EVF quality...but the rest of the camera is pretty much there. The tweaks to the R6ii were like this and I can't see any major / revolutionary chagnes coming to the R5ii or the R3ii. I'm sure the R1 will have some new tech that will flow down, but not like the game changer features we have already seen in the jump to mirrorless.

Upvote 0
If true, one would need a mini-reactor to feed it. The EVF would be power hungry.
I can’t see many professionals lining up to buy an R1

As a professional photographer I hate the R5 in every way and disappointed the useful tech features were not made into an 5D MkV. I try to use it and always end up going back to my battered 5Dmk4 which I can’t buy a replacement for once it dies. So looking for good condition used ones. What a pathetic state of affairs.

In all fairness I find the R5 great for travel and hobby work.

Upvote 0
Wow, that's a huge jump in technology from a 5Dmk1 to a R3. I think that's 5 generations of camera's and a jump of (previously) 2 tiers of product range. Well done sir!
Lets face it, if you have an R3 and an R5, there isn't anything anyone could want for in photography for some time to come.

I went from an EOS 3 (film) --> 5D mk1 --> R3

The eye focus on the R3 is just as problematic for me (spectacles wearer) as the original EOS 3!

I tend to buy the camera body based on features important to me, then keep for a long time until the next major feature that I *must* have. The bodies are just things that I attach my lenses to :)

The low lag EVF was the *must have* feature I was waiting for before jumping to Mirrorless.

I really think that we are nearing the apex of photography technology witht he current line of mirrorless cameras. I think that each sucessive generation of cameras will have "nice to have" warm overs. Tweaks to the AF controls and switching modes, tweaks to the buffer size and EVF quality...but the rest of the camera is pretty much there. The tweaks to the R6ii were like this and I can't see any major / revolutionary chagnes coming to the R5ii or the R3ii. I'm sure the R1 will have some new tech that will flow down, but not like the game changer features we have already seen in the jump to mirrorless.

My gut feeling is that the R3 was the best that Canon could achieve in terms of mirrorless functionality but it still wasn't good enough for them to give the R1 name to, thus the R3 was targetted at 'action' photographers and given the R3 name.

I would expect the R1 to be at least the same spec as the R3 in every feature and significantly better in terms of speed and resolution when it is finally released.

Upvote 0
There are so many variations and use case scenarios in photography. One guys feature and mus have is a problem for another. My photography touches wildlife, landscape, events, weddings and family portraiture. I find the EVF in my R8 to be an issue in about 1-2% of my photographic needs. I find the ability to us rear mounted drop in filters with my EF glass to be a massive bonus, especially with the ef 11-24 or TS-e 17.
I tried the EOS R at launch and I really didn't like it. It felt very much like an immature beta to me. The new AF was good but at that point, not worth the re-learn until it matured a few generations. The R5 was a sizemic leap forwards in versatilty and I only missed the jump from my 5D3's because of personal circumstances. I'm only back in the market again this year.
I'm trialling the R8 as my learning curve. It'll become my backup camera when I've bought eitehr an R5 or R6ii as my primary.
I think I'll keep a single 5DIII as a OVF backup. But I can't see me using it much more than as a Teams chat video camera.

It's a pity Canon never made a 5Dv as a last DSLR hurrah. Putting the R5 sensor and gubbins inside a 5D DSLR. But we are where we are, the 5D4 is the last of the breed. It's worth snapping up new or mint copies of the treasured EF glass too...because soon they will go the way of the Dodo too. I can see that in the future, the EF glass will rise in value S/H because at the moment...many are forgetting just how good much of it is.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
If I am on a tall building and take tons of photos of other buildings, I look through the viewfinder a lot. What bothers me is that with an EVF the photos show what I did not see with my own eyes. Okay, technically that also happens with a DSLR because the viewfinder is dark while taking a photo, but that is only for the blink of an eye.

A few years ago the car of Queen Elizabeth drove through my city with an open window and she was waving to the spectators. It took just a few seconds for the car to pass and I looked through the viewfinder the whole time to take some photos. If that has been an EVF, I would not have seen this important historic person with my own eyes. There are other situations that go by very fast. Fireworks for example.

Of course a photo also is a copy of reality, but at least while I am there I want to see the real reality. I also have a big problem with drone photos. That is not real photography for me, because the photography is not where the camera is. So the drone takes a photo that no human really experienced. For the real experience you would need a helicopter with the photographer and his camera on board. Technically I could steer a drone from another country.

And won't we see hot pixels or dead pixels in the EVF sooner or later? That will never happen with an OVF. EVFs are still so new that it will take a while before we know how reliable they are.
Well, I guess seeing the image of the queen projected on a mirror is closer to reality than the image on an EVF. Yours is a philosophical viewpoint that can't be argued against (no matter how obscure it seems to me), so I wish you good luck. I'm sure you will be able to buy cameras with OVFs for many years to come, if not new, than on the used market.

And I believe (but really can't remember) my first point and shoot digital camera back in 2002 had an EVF, so not really new tech.

Upvote 0
Flange distance is not always an advantage.
It offers no advantage for super telephoto primes and leads to vignetting on wide-angle lenses.
The bigger advantage to mirrorless is being able to autofocus at lower apertures.
I agree, the short flange distance seems to mean that every new lens formula needs a funky and exotic rear element group to bend the image onto the sensor at very extream angles. It means that it is highly unlikely that we will see any extension tubes for the the RF mount and more zooms (like the RF 70-200 f2.8) won't allow teleconverters. Which is odd because the new nikon (ahem Tamron) 70-180mm f2.8 lens can and it's smaller, lighter and cheaper than the Canon variant.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It means that it is highly unlikely that we will see any extension tubes for the the RF mount

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I have serious doubts about the durability of mirrorless cameras. Will they really survive ten or twenty years? There is so much new stuff that could break. The IBIS for example. It is a nice feature, but probably the first thing to break.
When is the last time you've ever heard of someone using a 20-year old digital camera? Today that would be an EOS-1Ds MkI that goes up to ISO 800 and has 11.7MP. Admittedly I was using my EOS-1DsMkIII as late as 2018 (I got the R at that point), which was ten years, but I was literally blind for some of those years (cataracts)!

I'm just an advanced amateur. I worked professionally like 1997-1998 or something, and even then I did basically stock photography and weddings, not hard on gear. But I've never had any piece of Canon gear simply stop working on me. The VERY few things that broke, broke because I broke 'em :-D

So, first, I think IBIS will most likely keep working along with the rest of the camera. But second, even if the cameras literally exploded on their 20th birthday, I think we'd be hearing muffled booms from the landfill, not from our equipment cabinets.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
I agree, the short flange distance seems to mean that every new lens formula needs a funky and exotic rear element group to bend the image onto the sensor at very extream angles
Any SLR lens arrangement works fine on a mirrorless. The ONLY reason to put glass closer than the old 44mm to the sensor is when it is an improvement in image quality or packaging. (And given how good RF lenses are compared to EF, it's not as if they're giving us conveniently-packaged lenses that are compromised in image quality.)

You seem to think that non-SLR lenses are some sort of recent innovation but rangefinder cameras have had them for a century at this point. Those rangefinder lenses were hardly "funky and exotic."

And indeed, it is SLR wide-angle lenses who need a "funky and exotic rear element group" to project their image farther back than what would be natural for the lens design.

Finally, you are incorrect to think the image is coming from the surface of the rear-most element. The image typically appears "as if" it is coming from much deeper in the lens.

Upvote 0