Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

Mar 2, 2012
@neuroanatomist used to point out that locking and recomposing changes the focal distance. It might not matter when you are still well within your depth of field between locked-on point and the final subject, but it can make a serious difference where there is minimal depth of field - just, for example, try that close up when photographing insects, it often blurs the image.
I suspect @YuengLinger has exposure decoupled from focus.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
@neuroanatomist used to point out that locking and recomposing changes the focal distance. It might not matter when you are still well within your depth of field between locked-on point and the final subject, but it can make a serious difference where there is minimal depth of field - just, for example, try that close up when photographing insects, it often blurs the image.
With portraits I don't always use Eye-Detect, but it works even at f/1.2. Or I just manually move the AF point. I guess it's so ingrained that I didn't even think of it as a separate step--just part of recomposing.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
AE lock is the way around that: meter > recompose > focus > shoot. Works fine with a subject posing for a portrait, not so much for a subject flying or running across the frame.
I did use to use AE Lock with Hold when my primary Mode setting was Av. I changed the * button to *H. Now I use the * button for toggling Eye Detect.

If the R5 II has AF-point linked exposure, I will certainly give the feature a run for its money. Maybe it will become my go-to. But its absence has never been a problem for me.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I suspect @YuengLinger has exposure decoupled from focus.
If you mean BBF, no, I've tried it, but I've never liked it. I'm happy in M mode setting exposure and then firing away. In Av mode, as mentioned, I used to use *H, but with mirrorless I just went M 99%.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
You already have to be reasonably savvy to program the menu options. Those who aren't can leave the camera in auto mode.
You can well be savvy enough to program menus, but with decades of having exclusive use of “intelligent” cameras how many using them know the limitations of setting exposure from a reflected light measurement ?

Upvote 0
The Canon world is preparing for the lauch of two massive cameras, the EOS R5 Mark II and EOS R1. We expect to hear official word about both cameras by the end of May 2024. We have reported in the past that Canon would move the EOS R5 Mark II to 60mp, but we have

See full article...
Disappointing, if true for me. I was waiting for the R5 MK II (61mp+) or the high MP replacement for my 5DSR. I have been considering the Sony A7CR or Fuji GFX 100S.
I love the resolution and cropping capability of having more pixels. The jump to another brand would almost be the same since I would start purchasing new lenses. However, I could bridge the gap if I stayed with Canon using the EF To RF converter. I hate to leave Canon, been a fan since the Digital REBEL.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
I hate to leave Canon, been a fan since the Digital REBEL.
So, I'm gonna say this same statement as I have in other threads. Why this urge to "jump to another brand"? If you like your Canon setup for certain things, but it's lacking in others, why not buy another brand for that purpose? How many people have 2+ Canon cameras for different use cases? Why can't you have multiple brands? I have pre-ordered a Fujifilm X100VI because Canon right now doesn't make anything like that. I'm not switching to Fujifilm, I'm keeping my Canon gear for what it does good, and I'm buying a Fujifilm for what (I hope) it does good.

Upvote 0
So, I'm gonna say this same statement as I have in other threads. Why this urge to "jump to another brand"? If you like your Canon setup for certain things, but it's lacking in others, why not buy another brand for that purpose? How many people have 2+ Canon cameras for different use cases? Why can't you have multiple brands? I have pre-ordered a Fujifilm X100VI because Canon right now doesn't make anything like that. I'm not switching to Fujifilm, I'm keeping my Canon gear for what it does good, and I'm buying a Fujifilm for what (I hope) it does good.
Maybe he's doing something like ceremonies, weddings, events, etc, and needs cameras with common batteries, lenses, flash triggers, etc.

Example, I want the Tamron 35-150 SO BAD; I could hold onto my R6, and ditch my backup body (Eos R) to buy a A7III to use the Tamron with, while I'll use my bright primes (40 Art and 105 Art) alternatively on the R6.
I buy the A7III with the R money (they cost the same used), but to buy the 35-150, I need to sell the 24-70 and 70-200. Switch must be zero charge.

Now, if the R6 dies in the field, I can use all the lenses (included the Sigma DSLR primes via MC-11 adapter) on the Sony; but if the Sony dies? Then I find myself with two beautiful primes on the R6, but certainly not that flexible, and the 35-150 zoom it's useless (and I already sold my two Canon zooms to buy the Tamron), and nothing wider then 40mm, so not an ideal situation (even if you certainly can do a wedding just with a 40 and a 105 if needed).

So, it's not so uncommon to think "well, the moment I buy a Sony alternative, then I'll just buy two of them and ditch both R and R6 altogether"; I thought that already, but haven't pulled the trigger, yet. But maybe he has different needs, and urges, then me.

Yes, many people have different brands to do different things; but if you need to do just one thing, or different things but with need of backup, then you (usually) just want one single brand, not two or three.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
To add on, if you run multiple cameras (i.e. you are a wedding/event photographer), you ideally want the same control layout, AF and metering behavior, etc... When I carry two different brands of cameras, I find it can be quite jarring to move from one brand to another quickly.

You'll also likely want the same camera brand for the similar/same color rendering, etc... to ease postprocessing.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Disappointing, if true for me. I was waiting for the R5 MK II (61mp+) or the high MP replacement for my 5DSR. I have been considering the Sony A7CR or Fuji GFX 100S.
I love the resolution and cropping capability of having more pixels. The jump to another brand would almost be the same since I would start purchasing new lenses. However, I could bridge the gap if I stayed with Canon using the EF To RF converter. I hate to leave Canon, been a fan since the Digital REBEL.
The greatest aspect of the R5 is that it is actually versatile. Trading in a bit of resolution in favour of having a faster readout sensor, meaning better AF, higher fps, better buffer, more usable electronic shutter, better video capabilities, etc. is far preferable to most people.

RF glass is for high megapixels, so it is highly likely that a high MP variant will follow.

Upvote 0
To add on, if you run multiple cameras (i.e. you are a wedding/event photographer), you ideally want the same control layout, AF and metering behavior, etc...
Agreed; moving from R6 to R is painful already, with layout being totally different for the lack of back wheel and joystick on the R (and I don't use touch screen, I only relay on buttons and dials); or for example the top dial that I use for ISO on both cameras, but on R6 you change iso freely any moment, while on R you can do iso control (with top dial) just with active metering, so I have to remember to half press the shutter button to change iso setting. But at least menu are basically the same, the green personalized menu is set to be mirroring exactly the same options, in the same order, on both cameras, etc.

So two different cameras (of the same level and size; a backup R50 would be worse for muscle memory) from the same manufacturer is doable but already not ideal; two different brands would be even more painful to deal with in a rushed situation.

Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
@Walrus @frankchn I completely agree with the concept of back-ups of the same model when doing something like events/weddings. I've done the same: 2 RPs, 2 R6s, 2 R5s, etc.
However, that wasn't really the direction I was going with my example and question. The poster mentioned they wanted a 61+ MP camera, and since the R5II is not looking like it's going to be that camera, they are contemplating leaving their long term use of Canon to get a Sony or Fujifilm camera with higher MP.
Of course we don't know what they want a super high MP camera for, but I really don't think it's for events. Sounds like specific use cases.
And with that said, I ask why such a dramatic move for a specific use case? Now, if that's their only camera, and they want 100MP, then I totally get that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Walrus @frankchn I completely agree with the concept of back-ups of the same model when doing something like events/weddings. I've done the same: 2 RPs, 2 R6s, 2 R5s, etc.
However, that wasn't really the direction I was going with my example and question. The poster mentioned they wanted a 61+ MP camera, and since the R5II is not looking like it's going to be that camera, they are contemplating leaving their long term use of Canon to get a Sony or Fujifilm camera with higher MP.
Of course we don't know what they want a super high MP camera for, but I really don't think it's for events. Sounds like specific use cases.
And with that said, I ask why such a dramatic move for a specific use case? Now, if that's their only camera, and they want 100MP, then I totally get that.
I've gone through that debate a lot of times as someone who also wants more resolution, and someone who has looked hard at the GFX system as an alternative (even more so given that nearly all the GFX stuff I want is on sale at the moment, bringing it to near parity with an R5 kit even with the R5's price drops and discounts). For me, I have one camera which shoots basically one thing - landscapes. Everything else I shoot is a one-off. To answer your original question with respect to dropping one brand for another, for me I'd probably consider it depending on what I'd get in a trade in, if I'd made up my mind to change. In my case, it might make sense to hang on to my current gear for the one-offs that a GFX wouldn't be well suited for (i.e. a friend's hockey game, the odd wedding/event). With all that said, I'm not making any decisions until I see the R5ii, and the decision will be made on more than resolution. The other systems have their own limitations as well which would become my new problems immediately. But considering that I'd be moving into RF from EF, now would be the time if ever to make that change. At the end of the day, any reaction to change shouldn't really be because you're mad at a manufacturer, but rather because a different product serves your needs better.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
A lot of professionals will not use a camera that is no longer supported by the manufacturer.
Paying for extended support would be a form of subscription.
It was reasonable for Canon to stop supporting DSLRs with mechanical shutters after a limited period of time but mirrorless cameras with electronic shutters could potentially last forever.
Ending parts support is one thing. And that is a thing that will continue to happen even under a subscription model. A subscription model is where you don't own your hardware - you pay for the rights to use it as long as you keep paying. You like the idea of paying $4k for a camera, then having to pay $100/month to get 'support'? Bug fix - sorry you have to sign up for the monthly to get that. Limited to 100clicks a month with no subscription. Can't save to memory card without subscription. JPG only without subscription. RAW files can only be converted using DPP, and it will only do it if your subscription is active. "F" that....

Upvote 0
Ending parts support is one thing. And that is a thing that will continue to happen even under a subscription model. A subscription model is where you don't own your hardware - you pay for the rights to use it as long as you keep paying. You like the idea of paying $4k for a camera, then having to pay $100/month to get 'support'? Bug fix - sorry you have to sign up for the monthly to get that. Limited to 100clicks a month with no subscription. Can't save to memory card without subscription. JPG only without subscription. RAW files can only be converted using DPP, and it will only do it if your subscription is active. "F" that....
Highly unlikely.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0