Big Canon EOS 5D Mark II Price Drop Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
EvillEmperor said:
Yeah, right: "List Price: $3,499.00, Price: $3,458.94, You Save: $40.06(1%)"

rumorzmonger said:
$100 off isn't exactly a "big" price drop...
... it's likely "$100 more" with the interested generated by this "if you don't get a 5d2 now, you'll be stuck with a 6d for $2000+" message.

verysimplejason said:
You can easily sell your 10-22 and get the equally awesome 17-40 L for not so much additional price.

Since when is the old 17-40L "awesome"? Since Canon shot the sample 6d pictures with it?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Mark1 said:
... unless you want a good af, but I guess you're correct and professional event shooters have no problem w/ paying $3000+ for the 5d3 that has it. It just feels a little strange buying 4 year old tech as new in this market ... and the digic5 really has some improvements as the Magic Lantern devs currently discover.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Mark1 said:
Definitely a good time to be in the canon full frame market for sure.

... unless you want a good af, but I guess you're correct and professional event shooters have no problem w/ paying $3000+ for the 5d3 that has it. It just feels a little strange buying 4 year old tech as new in this market ... and the digic5 really has some improvements as the Magic Lantern devs currently discover.

Upvote 0

EOBeav

Not going anywhere
May 4, 2011
about.me
Marsu42 said:
It just feels a little strange buying 4 year old tech as new in this market ... and the digic5 really has some improvements as the Magic Lantern devs currently discover.

Older model ≠ outdated and useless. I would have no problem buying a 5DmkII right now (I just did, in fact, 10 months ago). Looking strictly at the specs, the 6D is not nearly the same quality as the 5DmkII. Canon is replacing the 5DmkII with something less, and charging the customers accordingly. Sensor aside, everything else about this camera just smacks of consumer level qualities. I wish Canon would have just kept the 5DmkII line, charged $2099 for it, and given it a 'classic' moniker. There's a market for that.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
EOBeav said:
Older model ≠ outdated and useless.

I didn't say that, the 5d2 was ahead of its time and therefore isn't outdated (yet). And the 6d is no alternative due to the consumer placement (usability and specs like 1/180 x-sync) though it might fix some 5d2 problems like banding, -0.5ev low light af and non-reliable outer af points.

What I did say is that Magic Lantern will have many more features in store for the digic5-based 5d3 because the cpu runs much faster and there seems to be access to parts of the camera that were out of bounds on the 5d2. Because I can do C and hack Magic Lantern this is interesting to me, but not thanks to Canon of course.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
EOBeav said:
Older model ≠ outdated and useless. I would have no problem buying a 5DmkII right now (I just did, in fact, 10 months ago). Looking strictly at the specs, the 6D is not nearly the same quality as the 5DmkII. Canon is replacing the 5DmkII with something less, and charging the customers accordingly. Sensor aside, everything else about this camera just smacks of consumer level qualities. I wish Canon would have just kept the 5DmkII line, charged $2099 for it, and given it a 'classic' moniker. There's a market for that.

I'm counting on it
hopefully I can sell my PoS 5D2 for more than it's worth now when the new ones dry up and the 6D starts to disappoint for whatever reason.
Also allows me to bide my time in case the 6D is also a turkey for IQ.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
dilbert said:
Color me stupid but WTF would you buy a camera and only take about 700 photos with it?
Maybe you shouldn't have bought it in the first place...
I planned to keep it, but I gave in to the $2750 deal on the 5D MK III from Adorama. since I only paid $1407 for the Camera thru the Canon CLP, it was a deal I could not lose on. I sold it for $1750! So with the profit on the MK II plus the $55 ebay bucks, and credit card rebates, my new 5D Mark III cost me $2350. Why do you think thats stupid.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
dilbert said:
Color me stupid but WTF would you buy a camera and only take about 700 photos with it?
Maybe you shouldn't have bought it in the first place...
I planned to keep it, but I gave in to the $2750 deal on the 5D MK III from Adorama. since I only paid $1407 for the Camera thru the Canon CLP, it was a deal I could not lose on. I sold it for $1750! So with the profit on the MK II plus the $55 ebay bucks, and credit card rebates, my new 5D Mark III cost me $2350. Why do you think thats stupid.

Nope. Not stupid. Very lucky! I'd do the same thing if that happens to me.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.