Big Canon EOS 5D Mark II Price Drop Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been looking for a used 5DII for a few months now, almost bought one a few times now. I really hope this price drop affects Sweden too, because if they were to start selling 5DII bodies new for around 11.000 Kr (coinmill.com, US to Swedish currency conversion) that'd be super great! :eek: :)

Also, I'm going to use it mainly for filming so the "outdated AF" etc wouldn't really bother me that much.

Upvote 0
Given that I'm using a 40D right now, I'll checkout the used ones as soon as the price drops. If I can get a used one for about $1000 with a decent shutter count around, around 30K, then I'm good. However, this all depends on what Canon announces in October. If they come out with a reasonably priced high MP camera that's great for portrait, macro and weddings (I don't need action), then I'll get that... and maybe still get a 5D2 as backup. :p. I'd retire my 40D if I didn't have the 10-22mm. Its such an awesome lens.

Upvote 0
Is a "price drop" based on Canon's distribution chain, or does it reflect market place values?

I just picked up a refurbished 60D from Canon for under $700 USD (out the door). They kicked off a 20% sale on refurb items. This was THE cheapest price I could find on a used unit from a source I trust. It has the latest firmware update installed and the shutter actuation was set to 1 (one)... I guess they test fired it.

I could find this camera new for about the same price, but from not so reputable/trusted sources. I'm sure many of you know this already, but I, for one, am happy with the Canon store, it's pricing, and delivery time (less than a week).

Upvote 0
stewy said:
Given that I'm using a 40D right now, I'll checkout the used ones as soon as the price drops. If I can get a used one for about $1000 with a decent shutter count around, around 30K, then I'm good. However, this all depends on what Canon announces in October. If they come out with a reasonably priced high MP camera that's great for portrait, macro and weddings (I don't need action), then I'll get that... and maybe still get a 5D2 as backup. :p. I'd retire my 40D if I didn't have the 10-22mm. Its such an awesome lens.

If the price drops? Few people want to sell their 5D2 and many others wish to acquire one. There is more likelihood that the 5D2 prices may rise rather than fall, once Canon officially announces that they'll be discontinued (just as the EF 24-70mm mk 1 did).

Perhaps, it is different where you live, but if I was you I would up your budget a couple of hundred bucks and try and get one asap.

As a fellow crop-shooter I've been following closely 5d2 and 5Dc prices and prices of the latter in W.Europe have firmed up from around 500-600 euros to 650-750 for models even with high actuations. I sincerely wish you luck and hope that you can find one soon at a good price.

Upvote 0

Richard8971

"There is no spoon" - Neo
Oct 4, 2011
Tucson, AZ
www.Oldpueblophotos.com
I am sure the 6D will be an great camera, but it is simply a 5D2 with a few more features. (Some of which I will prolly never use) If the price drops to 1699.00 I would def consider grabbing another. It is an amazing camera. I bet you will see more of them for sale used as well as people upgrade to the 5D3. Great time to be a Canon lover!

I bought my 5D2 used (25k clicks) from a friend with grip for $1600.00 a few months ago after the 5D3 came out. Plenty of them out there. :)

D

Upvote 0
Aaron78 said:
A new 5D II for $1,699 is a steal, and the 5D III should be down to $3,000 most everywhere in the next couple of months. If you search daily, (or check back here and at the digital picture) they notify you of price drops. Numerous times the 5D III has sold for $3,000, and that fire sale adorama had on their ebay store saw them go for $2,749 (almost made me buy).

Totally... The 5D2 is a steal at $1,699. And you can already get it RETAIL for less than $2,000. The 5D2 is an AWESOME camera even with its age...

I hope the 5D3 will be $2,499 before next summer. Which I think is the price it should've been from the beginning. The superior ISO and AF is awesome, but not worth an extra $1,300.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
RGomezPhotos said:
Aaron78 said:
A new 5D II for $1,699 is a steal, and the 5D III should be down to $3,000 most everywhere in the next couple of months. If you search daily, (or check back here and at the digital picture) they notify you of price drops. Numerous times the 5D III has sold for $3,000, and that fire sale adorama had on their ebay store saw them go for $2,749 (almost made me buy).

Totally... The 5D2 is a steal at $1,699. And you can already get it RETAIL for less than $2,000. The 5D2 is an AWESOME camera even with its age...

I hope the 5D3 will be $2,499 before next summer. Which I think is the price it should've been from the beginning. The superior ISO and AF is awesome, but not worth an extra $1,300.

It might not be worth it to you and some other people, but for me the 5d3 is vastly superior camera for everything, it's not a5d2 with more af points... that being said, the iq isn't really better. The 5d2 has great iq but it misses almost all of the great moments of movement the 5d3 missed less of. The reason I switched to the 1d isn't obvious on paper, but very obvious when using it. Best Canon ever made, and is sure to be a legend as well. If more people could afford it And see what it can do that others just can't.

Upvote 0
stewy said:

You can easily sell your 10-22 and get the equally awesome 17-40 L for not so much additional price.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.