A bit more about the rumored EOS R for video [CR1]

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
of course you can print with 12mp, i did not intend for my comment to be taken literally. however, for professional work, 12mp IS a bit lackluster. That doesn't mean that you cannot make it work, but you do have to make it work.

Professionals?

Wildlife hobbyists and semi-pros won't even look at 12MP unless it comes with a 600mm and 1.4XIII...

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Professionals?

Wildlife hobbyists and semi-pros won't even look at 12MP unless it comes with a 600mm and 1.4XIII...

Neither of the things you mention is "professional" (hobbyist, semi-pro). Photojournalism would definitely find 12 MP sufficient, as they switched to DSLR long before 12 MP was even available. Of course, I don't know why such a person would want this camera over a 1DX III, and not even because it shoots at 20 MP (though it doesn't hurt). I guess if they were doing a lot of on-the-spot interviews without a crew and still wanted to shoot photos and wanted to do it with 1-body 1-lens so they could chase down their targets more effectively lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Hopefully Canon will use dual format dual slots similar to Sony with CFexpress A and SD.
Looks like everyone have made their call already.
Sony will use Type A cards
While Canon, Nikon and Panasonic will use Type B cards, which are bigger, but faster and more common and backwards compatible with XQD.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Great points. If such a machine exists it probably wouldn't be sealed. Whether you'd have active cooling or not is another story, but some sort of heatsink and open ventilation would be likely.
You can have "heat dissapation" and "sealing" at the same time. If you have a thin separate portion of one or more sides or back screen, you can have an area that does the cooling *and* is designed to be just fine getting wet from the outside, with a metal (or other, possibly liquid) conduit to transfer the heat from the sealed camera to the seal-removed cooler. The cooler would have slow air flow through it powered by designed gravity assist (preferably) or by a micro fan.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020

So 20 is great as the 1dx
And 45 is great as the R5

But 12 is somehow lackluster with no backing with evidence or examples. Crazy thought process.

Love my R and my R6’s but have also delivered cropped a7iii @ 10mp and have heard nothing about lacklusterness. Colors may be a pain, white balance may be off but had never heard a complaint on IQ.

Weird how no one goes, “how many megapixels is that?”

Upvote 0
So, my thought wasn't necessarily a second heat sink. But rather, you could have the heat sink in the camera, contact the external heat sink with a sealed, metal to metal connection point, and then you would dissipate the heat from the external heat sink. That way, the camera is sealed, but the heat has a way to get out.

This really isn't that different that the heat sinks on CPUs that either use fluid or sometimes just copper pipes to conduct heat away from the CPU to a fan a short distance away.

It is just a thought.

As per the Canon patented adaptor that was on CR weeks ago?

Upvote 0
Another video focused R camera.
Its great and all to see Canon lavishing so many new camera's at the video guys, but it would be nice if someone could remind Canon that some of us are still shooting stills...

Sour grapes aside, it does make absoulte sense to take the R5 body and create specalised versions of it for specific user groups. JUST MORE OF THIS SORT OF THING PLEASE ;).

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Another video focused R camera.
Its great and all to see Canon lavishing so many new camera's at the video guys, but it would be nice if someone could remind Canon that some of us are still shooting stills...

Sour grapes aside, it does make absoulte sense to take the R5 body and create specalised versions of it for specific user groups. JUST MORE OF THIS SORT OF THING PLEASE ;).
They are simply migrating the DSLR equivalent to mirrorless. Nothing more. camera sales are down.

Upvote 0