Canon USA teases the Canon EOS R5c announcement

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
…You know all this, but want to argue like a child. DUMB.
I appreciate your participation in this forum. There are very few professionals on here and really I don’t know of anyone with your experience and expertise in filmmaking. Plus, despite your talent you are always humble. Don’t let the bullies drive you away. They will never achieve what you have.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Just need to look at the new RF lenses to see how different materials are now being used to reduce weight and maintain performance.
Metal is not as strong/stiff as other materials such as carbon fibre and weight generally is not a good thing (except for balance with long lenses).
I hate the cosmetic paint chips on the white EF lens mount as it wasn't adhering properly to the metal but that (thankfully) appears to have gone away with RF lenses.
Well if they make it from carbon fiber like Arri Red and Kinefinity have done with their bodies, I would certainly welcome it. But that would cost more than magnesium alloy and let’s face it… there is zero chance the R5C will have a carbon fiber body. As for RF lens strength… I’ve seen more than a few videos like the one below. Why are the Canon CN-E lenses metal? Could it be to make them tougher so they can stand up to rental house use?
I’m not saying plastic is bad. But if you want gear that can take a beating, then plastic is not ideal. Does this really need to be explained in 2022?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And which of those is made from plastic? Let me explain… carbon fiber is not plastic.
Well the fibers themselves aren’t. But you can’t make anything out of the fibers themselves, just like you can‘t make a bridge out of re bar. But you can put carbon fibers, or glass fibers, or a multitude of other fibers inside plastic or resin, and in truth you probably need to be a chemist to know the differences.

To be clear, carbon reinforced plastic is very much a thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
To be clear, carbon reinforced plastic is very much a thing.
Titanium and gold are metals… But Canon is not making any bodies out of them. Which Canon bodies and lenses are made from carbon fiber? Exactly, none! I had the C70… $6k with tax. I returned it. The creaky plastic build was really off putting at the price point. You might be looking forward to more plastic bodies, but I’ll take metal over plastic (notice I didn’t say carbon fiber) any day of the week… YMMV.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Titanium and gold are metals… But Canon is not making any bodies out of them. Which Canon bodies and lenses are made from carbon fiber? Exactly, none! I had the C70… $6k with tax. I returned it. The creaky plastic build was really off putting at the price point. You might be looking forward to more plastic bodies, but I’ll take metal over plastic (notice I didn’t say carbon fiber) any day of the week… YMMV.
I was addressing the part of your comment that said “Let me explain…carbon fiber is not plastic”, this is a misleading statement because carbon reinforced plastic is very much a thing.

Upvote 0
Why in gods name would a photographer want active cooling on a stills orientated camera?
You do realize there are Photographers who also use their R5 for video right? MANY people who bought the R5 got it for because canon was hyping the video part of it so hard. Now put on top of that people, including myself, have had the R5 overheat while taking stills in warmer conditions.

Upvote 0
I was addressing the part of your comment that said “Let me explain…carbon fiber is not plastic”, this is a misleading statement because carbon reinforced plastic is very much a thing.
Buts its not carbon fiber... carbon reinforced plastic has the NON PLASTIC carbon fiber mixed into plastic to strengthen the plastic.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You do realize there are Photographers who also use their R5 for video right? MANY people who bought the R5 got it for because canon was hyping the video part of it so hard. Now put on top of that people, including myself, have had the R5 overheat while taking stills in warmer conditions.
Of course I do! But the R5 as released was a photo-centric camera, whatever marketing or influencer bullish!t you bought into. So my point stands, why would a stills orientated photographer want active cooling in a stills orientated camera?

I have used an R5 in the tropics on a tripod in the sun and never had the camera stop taking stills, YMMV.

That is not to say there isn’t a good market for a more video-centric version of the R5 for true hybrid shooters.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Buts its not carbon fiber... carbon reinforced plastic has the NON PLASTIC carbon fiber mixed into plastic to strengthen the plastic.
And what do you think “carbon fiber” has to make it stiff?

The actual carbon fibers have either resin or plastic around them, the term ‘carbon fiber’ is very misleading and is used by the general population to describe both raw fibers and mat as well as carbon reinforced materials, the stuff we have bikes and cars and planes and all manor of other things made out of.

But from a manufacturers point of view the differences between resin and plastic would take a chemist to tell the difference and are effectively indistinguishable to the general public.

Carbon fiber is to resin and plastic as rebar is to concrete. That is, carbon reinforced resin or plastic, and reinforced concrete. You don’t make a bridge out of rebar, you don’t make anything out of ‘carbon fiber’; you make bridges out of reinforced concrete and you could make cameras or anything else out of carbon reinforced resin or plastic.

And that was my only point, plastic and carbon fiber are not mutually exclusive when referred to as they were.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Do you know how ridiculous this sounds?
Taken in isolation yes, that is why the words are punctuated.

Is that your best reply to me calling out your ridiculous comment?

If you can't get your head around that answer this, what is the difference between carbon fiber, carbon reinforced resin, and carbon reinforced plastic?

Upvote 0