It’s time to fill those memory cards. Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5. 400mp stills are now possible

This is similar to Apple's tactic, making older devices slower intentionally to get you to HAVE TO buy the newer ones...quite sinister actually...
That hasn't been my experience when my 7 year old MBP was running at the same speed as when I bought it but wasn't powerful enough for my new R5's images and video.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
9 shot pixel shift is a major spec sheet addition despite any limitations.
But where do the 9 raw files go? Unless the R5 is actually converting to jpg first in-camera and then combining them => this could account for the artifacts.
Canon knew that pixel peepers would explore the jpg and report their findings which - so far - doesn't look positive vs upscaling.

Saving 9 raw files (like dual pixel files) could encourage 3rd party SW (even Lightroom??) to generate a better compositing algorithm. At least you have the original files to revisit if a better algorithm is available in the future.

These artifacts are overshadowing issues like colour space/bit depth for jpg vs HEIF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Earlier this month, CR reported delay in R5ii release and "To keep the EOS R5 viable through 2023 in the features department, Canon will release a major new feature firmware update sometime this year." I can't find anything that Canon has said publicly though.

Canon has missed an opportunity to keeping the R5 as leading class even though it is coming up to 3 years old. New features weren't ever promised and we shouldn't expect them but new buyers are comparing the existing R5 (running current firmware) vs newer bodies from Sony/Nikon etc.

Features that we (as outsiders) believe are simple to implement haven't been. They are available in other newer bodies using the same Digic X family
- removal of 30 minute limit
- variable electronic shutter fps
- pre-buffer
- turning off IBIS but leaving lens OIS on
- wider range of subject tracking
- lens breathing correction
- bracketing with flash

If these were added, then it would be manna from heaven for owners and scaring competitors!

Interesting that Canon has replaced their phrase "phenomenon" with "issues" in "5. Fixes minor issues"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Does the feature automatically disable lens IS? Some use cases for this high res mode will be tripod shots,
Some? The use cases that don’t involve using a tripod will involve setting the camera on a concrete block, on a brick wall, on a steel beam, and similar setups.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Canon does usually let us disable lens IS without disabling IBIS.
I wonder if that is still the case with this new feature.
I just downloaded 1.8.1 and the manual. Yes, it does disable lens IS and it is meant to be used only on a tripod (and a stable one at that). I took a couple of shots with and EF 200mm f/2.8L set at f/4 (one of the sharpest lenses I have) and gave it a go. The result compared well to a decent 600mm lens and the JPEG file is 170 MB. It takes LR several seconds to zoom in on a fast computer. Given the JPEG output, this is only good for situations with decent lighting, but the final result is remarkably sharp for nearly 10x the pixel count of the sensor. When I get some decent light, I will try some wide shots with the RF 14-35. This is not something you would use every day, but it defintely has a place.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Very true, but IMO that doesn't excuse them.

It should have been perfectly possible to add the AF updates found in the R3/R6ii/ and even in the "cheap" R7. It should also have been possible to add pre-capture (even if only for JPEGs), not to mention variable fps and exposure bracketing in ES.

They clearly made a *choice* to NOT include these features, which are probably far more useful to the bulk of users. With no sign of a R5ii on the horizon, it's pretty disappointing. I suspect it's part of a cunning plan by Canon to get people who want these features to buy a R6ii or R7 as a second body.
Let's look at things logically. People expected great things due to rumors, not facts, nor even based on what firmware updates typically include - even in the very recent past. Did Canon add these updated AF features to the R6? NO. They put them in the Mark II version of the camera. So isn't it logical that Canon will do the same with the R5?

A cunning plan? The most likely "plan" is that Canon wants them to buy the R5 II - which, like the R6 II - will have the newer features. If they put all these newer features into the firmware, what will they put in the R5 II? These are, quite possibly, the major features that will be the selling point for the R5 II.

As always, these are just my opinions and could be totally wrong (as I was wrong about the 400 high res). Maybe the rumors are true and there will be a major firmware update in the near future. But I see no reason to expect it, nor any reason to blame Canon because their firmware update is essentially just like most every firmware update (and arguably more than most).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I am an R3 owner.
While I do get jealous of cheaper Canon cameras getting features I do not feel entitled to any of them.
If I was not happy with what the R3 had at the time that I bought it then I would not have bought it.
Good heavens Man! What a totally, ridiculously, mature adult attitude! I'm afraid you will now be banned from CR!

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I generally agree, although I will admit I would be rather miffed if they didn’t provide compatibility with the EL-5 flash.
I thought it was included for the R3 - Maybe I am missing something @neuroanatomist

From Canon Canada's site:
Firmware Version 1.4.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:
1. Adds support for Speedlite EL-5.*
*The automatic light intensity adjustment of the AF-assist beam is not supported.

2. Adds [Register people priority] to the camera menu.
Pre-registered people can now be detected and tracked with priority.**
** This feature may not operate if faces are too small to detect, in profile or turned at an angle or partially hidden; for scenes where the subject is moving; or due to certain shooting environments.
3. Adds [Save/load comm. settings on card] to the camera menu.
Network settings can now be transferred between cameras of the same model.
4. Adds [Panning Assist] to the camera menu. When a compatible lens is used for panning shots, image stabilization and subject blur correction are applied during the exposure.
5. Improves the Auto White Balance (AWB) setting to reduce the time it takes for the AWB result to be reflected in the camera’s viewfinder's display when looking through the viewfinder.
6. Adds Protect Images During [FTP Transfer] to the camera menu. Images transferred via FTP can now be automatically protected. The user can determine if images have already been transferred via FTP.
7. Fixes minor issues.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Seems like the real question here is why are some people getting weird artifacts, while others are not and their test images look amazing.
More research needs to be done.
Perhaps some people’s setups aren’t as stable as they think. I have a rock solid tripod and head (RRS TVC-33 and BH-55). When I set them up in my living room, there’s vibration transmitted through the hardwood flooring over a wooden subfloor. In the basement (tile/wood over concrete slab) or garage (bare concrete slab), there is none.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
In my experience, Sony's implementation is a half-baked gimmick. Creates multiple files in camera that must be moved to a computer and converted to a single RAW file using Sony's slow and clunky Imaging Edge software. My A7RIV has no motion compensation and the movement artifacts require so much editing it's not worth it. The A7RV now has motion compensation but without in-camera RAW files it's a no-go.

Lumix's version works exceptionally well. Single 187MP RAW file in-camera. Two configurations for motion detection and I use both depending on the subject. It's about as close to having a camera with a 187MP sensor as you can get.

Was hoping to move back to Canon for smaller/lighter R5 body and better lens selection but this doesn't look quite there yet.
Same application as in my SL2. Works well for landscapes and moonshots in particular.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Some? The use cases that don’t involve using a tripod will involve setting the camera on a concrete block, on a brick wall, on a steel beam, and similar setups.
Right, that's how I managed to get a test photo after careful handholding was a bust. I did not see the artifacts but It was not a very careful photo of my coffee mug at mfd.

Upvote 0