Rumoured Canon EOS Rs Specifications [CR1]

Mar 22, 2016
If that is close I will be getting one. 75mp, DR, weather sealed.

I'd prefer a tilt screen than a flip screen but am comfortable within my own mind to know Canon don't care what I, as an individual, want...

I would have loved to see the resolution even higher than 75 mp but with weather sealing and attention focused on DR this sounds like it will be my next camera for landscapes. Would love to have the resolution of a Phase 1 but refuse to pay those prices.

Hopefully the ergonomics are good and nothing interferes with an L bracket.

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2016
Two comments;
1) Hope they throw the option of 16 bit along with 14 bit
2) don’t know the image circle of RF lenses, mount is bigger so image circle may be little bigger, having said that canon may come up with larger than 35mm sensor.

Any thoughts or comment?

Torn on the idea of a bigger sensor. From a positive side I would love to capture more light but if I need to replace my lenses and filters to work with a larger sensor then I might consider a non-canon medium format instead.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Sounds interesting, but I'm a bit skeptical or at least surprised.

I wonder how someone who shot with a test camera would know what generation the processor inside was.

I wonder why you would have a joystick on an "R" since the touchscreen does the same thing. If it is similar in size and ergonomics to the current R, it seems like that would be just one more control crammed onto an already crowded backside. On the other hand, for those working with gloves on, maybe having a joystick as an alternative would be a good idea.

If true, it sounds as though Canon is continuing to refine the ergonomics and features of the R, so that by the time the "Rx" comes out it will have the kinks worked out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2016
As you say they don't work so well with L brackets, which I use (so I don't care about IBIS in this camera)

I assume from your comments that you don’t care about IBIS in this camera as you would be using the camera with a tripod.
For landscapes typically I am on the tripod but there are a couple landscape tripod scenarios where I would like extra stabilization - when the tripod is on spongy ground (where I currently use a timer release so I can get myself and family far enough way when the shutter opens) and when the tripod is in the middle of a stream with water running around the tripod legs.

For these scenarios while using non-IS lenses like the 24-70 and 11-24 it would be a positive to have IBIS, though I have managed so far without IBIS. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2016
I wonder why you would have a joystick on an "R" since the touchscreen does the same thing. If it is similar in size and ergonomics to the current R, it seems like that would be just one more control crammed onto an already crowded backside. On the other hand, for those working with gloves on, maybe having a joystick as an alternative would be a good...

As a landscape camera, outdoor use and winter use can be assumed, so the glove use of a joystick would be a definite plus.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I would have loved to see the resolution even higher than 75 mp but with weather sealing and attention focused on DR this sounds like it will be my next camera for landscapes. Would love to have the resolution of a Phase 1 but refuse to pay those prices.

Hopefully the ergonomics are good and nothing interferes with an L bracket.
Even if you get the MP of a Phase One you can't get the sensor size unless you stitch, which is the main reason I stitch! Nothing bests sensor size and true 16 bit RAW for tonality in big prints.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Really hoping to finally get IBIS in this.

With 75MP, are all those pixels really worth that much without IBIS to ensure that you will really get pixel level sharpness at that resolution (without carrying around a tripod for every shot.)

Do 90D or M6 II users have to carry a tripod for every shot? Their pixel density is the same as an 83mp FF.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Two comments;
1) Hope they throw the option of 16 bit along with 14 bit

Unless they're about to blow well passed Sony in DR 14 vs 16 bit doesn't matter. Current sensors are not limited by ADC bit depth but by read noise.

Of course it would be great if they did accomplish this. I could spend 2020 in Sony forums complaining about their old sensors and horrible DR :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I assume from your comments that you don’t care about IBIS in this camera as you would be using the camera with a tripod.
For landscapes typically I am on the tripod but there are a couple landscape tripod scenarios where I would like extra stabilization - when the tripod is on spongy ground (where I currently use a timer release so I can get myself and family far enough way when the shutter opens) and when the tripod is in the middle of a stream with water running around the tripod legs.

For these scenarios while using non-IS lenses like the 24-70 and 11-24 it would be a positive to have IBIS, though I have managed so far without IBIS. :)
For my uses I'd be thinking either tripod and/or high speed discharge flashes (or most probably both) so yes you are correct, I am not fussed about IBIS. Of course if it had it I would find uses for it, and I am not anti IBIS, I am just ambivalent whether this particular model has it or not.

Certainly my decision to buy it is not dependent on if it has IBIS or it doesn't.

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I hope they let down the resolution. 75mpx raws will be heavy as hell and, as a wedding photographer, Im more than happy with the 30 mpx that gives the eos R actually

So, I agree with the other comments that a 75 MP camera may not be the camera for someone concerned about memory size. I really wonder if this is an underappreciated benefit of Canon. I am not sure about Nikon files, but when I've seen them reported, Fuji and Sony files are typically 2x the resolution. Canon tends to be ~1x the resolution and then they increase with increasing ISO. For example, the A7RIII has 42.4 MP and 81.9 MB files, even at base ISO.

75 MP is something I would like to have for the occasional photo. But, usually the ~30 MP range is just fine for me. What I will be looking at is what sRAW and mRAW are like? Is one of those in the ~30 MB range. If so, I may pick up this camera. Otherwise, I'll probably rent it once or twice.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
If that is close I will be getting one. 75mp, DR, weather sealed.

I'd prefer a tilt screen than a flip screen but am comfortable within my own mind to know Canon don't care what I, as an individual, want...

I sure hope they put a Quick Control Dial with Touch Pad implementation on it. This was always one of my favorite features of the 5DII / III bodies and without it, it just doesn't feel like a Canon camera...Sony even ripped off their own version of the Quick Control Dial. Bring it back, Canon!

Upvote 0
While I think that 20 MPix on FF are a lot for most applikations I like the idea to have roughly our times the resolution ... 18 MPix with RGGB pixel quadruplets for full color image pixels (not calculated from neighboured pixels) is GREAT if they do it as a smaller RAW (smaller file size) format or just do it afterwards with DPP.
But I think about dual ISO with such a vast amount of pixels: Very good (spatial) resolution PLUS large tonal palette!
And with 18 Mpix final images you could do quad ISO or dual ISO on green subpixels and single ISO with the R, B ones!

Just if that thing has only 5 frames per second (what I expect due to the large data volume and maybe some noise optimized high stability/precision ADC machinery) it would be a great machine ... for all that ultra high resolution work in different dimensions - image pixels or fine tonal representation of the original scene.

Maybe I have too much phantasy but on the other hand: Why not? Camera market should move into crazy and amazing tools because that is the only way to gain market if there is a way.

Upvote 0

Looks like a good development and release from Canon.

This is looking good and strong from Canon to make a big dent in the FF Mirrorless market (Their APS ML's not bad either) and hopefully pile on pressure on Nikon to up their game in the APS & FF ML market along with getting their Z (FF & DX) lenses out (expect them to announce a 60mp Z8 sometime in mid 2020).

Upvote 0