Rumoured Canon EOS Rs Specifications [CR1]

It's a CR1 and there's no rumored price. What do you think it would cost if it had these specs?
I'd expect around launch price of the 5DSR adjusted for inflation, so maybe $4000 - $4200 US? Could be a bit less considering the launch price of the a7riv I guess, but I'd be surprised if it was below $3800. Recognizing it's a CR1, we've been hearing rumors of a high resolution body release in that timeframe for a while now. Whether these specs are right or wrong, camera buyers have shown that they will pay a premium for high resolution bodies, and Canon has in the past not shown great willingness to drop the price of the 5Dsr series even years after release. I don't think Canon is ignorant to customer price tolerance and expect they'll price whatever they release to that upper price limit, regardless of the fine spec differences. I'm pretty confident in saying that wherever this camera lands in price, I'm going to feel dirty paying that amount, and I may not have the self control to not buy it. Time will tell!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Speak for yourself. I love my articulating screen. I am not a Vlogger.
Obviously this person is not a macro shooter either. Photo 101, worms eye view photography...or is everyone solely a portrait shooter? There are endless styles and genres of photography and it make me cringe when people say things aren't useful.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Obviously this person is not a macro shooter either. Photo 101, worms eye view photography...or is everyone solely a portrait shooter? There are endless styles and genres of photography and it make me cringe when people say things aren't useful.

I occasionally have to shoot in very confined spaces where the camera is up against a wall or an equipment rack. you can’t beat an articulated screen for that. I regard it as a tool, use it when needed.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Good timing on this rumor, at the very least this may delay me buying the A7RIV. I would love to replace my 5DS but only if the new camera is reasonably close to the 10 fps and the sony's autofocus tracking (I'm not expecting it to match or beat it, just be reasonably close). This will give me a few more years to use my 500 F/4 II on a (nearly) native platform. The 600 Sony is just too expensive to switch to at this time.

It may take some time to get used to the EOS R style ergonomics, right now I actually prefer the latest Sony cameras. Feels as natural now to me as my 5DS. The new canon will likely be better if it has a useful joystick. As with any camera, I'll get used to it with time and plenty of shooting.

Upvote 0

6degrees

RF 85mm F1.2
Sep 6, 2018
nope it's a should-be, not a must-be, in my opinion.
They say IBIS increases sensor heat and therefore noise and therefore decreases the DR.

If there's a tradeoff between IBIS and DR, I'd prefer to have a better DR.
IBIS would be great to have but only if it doesn't affect the DR.

You can choose to disable IBIS if you need.

Nobody will seriously buy Canon R and RF lenses if no IBIS.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
You can choose to disable IBIS if you need.

Nobody will seriously buy Canon R and RF lenses if no IBIS.
As far as i understand, the very IBIS design implies issues with heat dissipation, even if it's disabled.

Again I'm all after IBIS. But I'd prefer to have a better DR rather than IBIS. Also the camera in question is the studio/landscape/architecture camera. This implies a lot of tripod use. I won't be surprised if Canon doesn't put IBIS in it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am SO EXCITED about this!

Anyone complaining about this EOS Rs must be either non-pro or just like to troll. If all it does more than my 5dsr is more MP and more dynamic range, then it's 100% worth it for me. I couldn't care less about IBIS for a camera that will do all it's commercial work from a tripod.

This 75Mp combined with a backup/alt body 1Dx3 with more Mp and Clog would be a dream come true. For years I dreamed of a wider TSE lens and they delivered with the 17 which paid for itself 100x. I then wished for a Canon version of the Sigma 12-24 and they delivered to me the 11-24.

Complainers should busy themselves with making images or some other art instead of wasting mental energy on spec bashing.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
unless the DR can compete with sonys from 5 years ago, i dont see myself coming back to canon. as a landscape photographer, i've been waiting for two years now for them to show me the money and produce something worth coming back for. their lens line is clearly superior, but they've shown year after year now that they can't keep up with sony in the DR department. i couldn't care less about FPS, IBIS, ergonomics, and video, just give me great image quality that can compete with sony.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
their lens line is clearly superior, but they've shown year after year now that they can't keep up with sony in the DR department.
The differences between Canon sensors from the previous generation and Sony's are already tiny and the newer sensors in the M6 II and 90D have gone even further, reducing read noise and eliminating the banding.

I think you can assume that upcoming Canon bodies priced higher than the R will offer quite remarkable IQ.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As far as i understand, the very IBIS design implies issues with heat dissipation, even if it's disabled.
If additional stabilization allows you to use a longer shutter speed and therefore lower ISO, it's already helping with dynamic range. So I wouldn't say it is a true trade off.

But I would like to read the source that gave you the impression that there is a constant issue with heat and IBIS. Is it something you could link?

Upvote 0
If additional stabilization allows you to use a longer shutter speed and therefore lower ISO, it's already helping with dynamic range. So I wouldn't say it is a true trade off.

Personally I'm looking for a landscape camera. This prospective Rs 75mp is a landscape camera, plus studio, architecture, product etc. All these genres are all shot from a tripod, mostly. And mostly at the base ISO. Basically 100% of my landscapes are shot at ISO 100 or 50, except for the night/astro.

But I would like to read the source that gave you the impression that there is a constant issue with heat and IBIS. Is it something you could link?

I recall it actually comes from Canon, they mentioned it in some interview when asked about IBIS. The heat is the problem with IBIS. If they solve it and put IBIS into this Rs camera without sacrificing on DR - perfect. Again and again I'm not saying "I don't need IBIS so don't put it there". That'd be ridiculous. I'm saying I wouldn't like Canon to sacrifice on DR *if* it's affected by IBIS.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
unless the DR can compete with sonys from 5 years ago, i dont see myself coming back to canon. as a landscape photographer, i've been waiting for two years now for them to show me the money and produce something worth coming back for. their lens line is clearly superior, but they've shown year after year now that they can't keep up with sony in the DR department. i couldn't care less about FPS, IBIS, ergonomics, and video, just give me great image quality that can compete with sony.
Spoken like somebody who believes a half stop or less of DR difference will take your images from crap to fab....... Trust me it wont. If your images are crap on a canon they will be crap on a sony. So you may have wasted your money if that was the reason you changed

Upvote 0
Bla Bla, Dr in 400%crop.see the same picture on a4, no difference,or better to say Sony's colors suks.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
2fps with tracking or can they at least get it to 5fps. If Sony can do 10fps at 61MP, surely you'd be targeting 6-7fps with 75MP. Three generations of digic later than 5Ds, should easily cope with 75MP.
The M6 II does 32.5 MP 14 FPS with tracking. Assuming the total throughput would remain the same, this puts a 75 MP Canon at 6 FPS. If they can go beyond the performance of their ~ 1k M camera with what will likely cost north of 3k, we can expect very competitive performance I think.

Upvote 0