Rumoured Canon EOS Rs Specifications [CR1]

Well, even the much maligned DPR has said that Dynamic Range on the current generation of Canon sensors is pretty good.

With the exception of the 6dmk2 and eos RP, where the DR is lower than the majority of the current market, it looks like Canon have bridged the DR gap.

I think these two camera are the only reason this con can still be used against Canon sensors

(edited R to RP, thanks Joules for the typo catch)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
With the exception of the 6dmk2 and eos r, where the DR is lower than the majority of the current market, it looks like Canon have bridged the DR gap.

I think these two camera are the only reason this con can still be used against Canon sensors
Did you mean the RP? The R has the same sensor and DR as the 5D IV which is almost the best Canon has to offer. The 6D II and RP share the same sensor.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
It was more of a joke, in that it was a reference to the last scenes in the old Clint Eastwood spaghetti western, a Fist Full of Dollars....where he with his .45 does against the villain with a winchester...you know, the scene where Clint taunts him to 'aim for the heart' or you'll never stop me....keeps getting shot but keeps getting back up, and then when the villain is out of ammo, Clint opens his poncho and reveals a steel iron plate he'd hammered out and had hanging over his chest to protect him?

Maybe I'm getting old....but did no one else get the reference?
I did.
I also thought about the description of Bass Elder’s duel in the John Wayne movie The Sons of Katie Elder

Upvote 0
The Japanese market, particularly the higher end market, is incredibly new tech sensitive, the are also very model age sensitive. What new high end FF cameras have Canon released in the last year as opposed to Sony? There is your answer. Next year when Canon probably release high end FF DSLR's and MILC's do you think Sony will still best them in that very narrow market segment?

I think the gap may be closer than Canon would like - Canon haven't brought out a higher end camera since the 5dmk4, and I wonder how many people have started trying other options in that time where nothing new was coming from Canon.

The z7 doesn't seem to have changed nikons fortunes as such, so a new high end Canon may not be the 'be all, end alll silver bullet' to Sony's rise.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Just to be picky; The Good, The Bad & The Ugly was shot last but in the time line of the Trilogy it's the first. We see where Blonde gets his poncho and it's set in the American Civil war when Clint is using a percussion revolver converted to use metallic cartridges. In the other two he's using the Colt SAA introduced in 1873.

Great films and great musical scores.

Yes I got the reference and i don't think it's cause for anyone to get on their high horse with or without a Peacemaker :censored:

WoW!!

Thanks for the insight on the timeline order!! Somehow I totally missed that!!

Hmm...I may have to watch them all again now. Thankfully, it seems last couple years, on Xmas day one of the cable channels does a marathon of Clint's movies, usually the westerns!!

C

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Just to be picky; The Good, The Bad & The Ugly was shot last but in the time line of the Trilogy it's the first. We see where Blonde gets his poncho and it's set in the American Civil war when Clint is using a percussion revolver converted to use metallic cartridges. In the other two he's using the Colt SAA introduced in 1873.

Great films and great musical scores.

Yes I got the reference and i don't think it's cause for anyone to get on their high horse with or without a Peacemaker :censored:
A Fistful of Dollars is a knock-off of Yojimbo by the iconic Japanese director Akira Kurosawa, who also directed the Seven Samurai, which was knocked off by the Magnificent Seven. Actually, the westerns are really good and as enjoyable as the original Japanese. But, the original Kurosawa are works of genius.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
A Fistful of Dollars is a knock-off of Yojimbo by the iconic Japanese director Akira Kurosawa, who also directed the Seven Samurai, which was knocked off by the Magnificent Seven. Actually, the westerns are really good and as enjoyable as the original Japanese. But, the original Kurosawa are works of genius.
Thanks for that, I'll look them up (y)

Upvote 0
This isn't correct. The majority of IBIS systems move on a series of surface bearings which provide a fair amount of heat transfer surface. It seems like many people think that an IBIS sensor is somehow floating in space suspended by magnets or something which is not true.

It's fair amount but not comparable with a fixed bearing which provides larger contact surface for heat transfer.

IBIS is really not a big deal for heat transfer, just look at how the Sony 6300, which has no IBIS, has worse overheating characteristics than the A6500, which does have IBIS.

You're mixing up sensor heat and CPU heat and probably missed the origin of this discussion about the sensor heat. Sony's overheating is all about CPU overheating. Sensor heating in question won't affect the overall camera functionality, it'll increase the read noise from the sensor and originally we were talking about tradeoffs between having an IBIS and a lesser sensor noise.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Yes, but also, within the FF segment which has a specific demographic (~10% of the overall camera market share), Sony has taken both Nikon and Canon's lead this last year outselling both its competitors FF MILC and FF DSLR bodies combined in quantity and value via BCN in Japan. Those buyers MUST clearly find something appealing with Sony's FF products to show that kind of growth even when they are continually criticized for poor color science/ergonomics/overheating/weathersealing/etc.... Those buyers are cross shopping $2500-$5000 bodies, not $600-$900 entry level body+lens kits and perhaps things like IBIS and dual slots do matter.

But I understand Canon doesn't have to cater to this crowd, because it still has 90% of the rest of the camera market and that market is what pays its bills. Yet, I also know we went from dual and triple lens smartphones in 2018 to 108MP 1/1.33" penta-cams in 2019, so that 90% of the market is also under the most pressure from being eroded by smartphones.

Either way, we will know soon because we are at the end of 2019 and Canon's new FF MILC products are due early next year. I'm hoping they will offer something I personally want in a FF system, but as you said, I'm just a mosquito bite on an elephant. Even the lot of us only make up 10% of the market...

I think a very large percentage of those people swapping to Sony are doing so because they believe(wrongly) that a sony camera will somehow improve their work. That is a mark of Sonys excellent advertising. Cudos to sony for that. Then there are the younger demographic getting into photography who have to have the latest and greatest tech. Obviously they will go sony because they think(wrongly) that Sony will make them better photographers than Canon or Nikon etc. Ergonomics are not really a concern with this demographic because most are coming from phones anyway. Sonys genius has nothing to do with producing superior equipment. On the contrary it is only the last release(A7r4) that has matched the competition. Sonys genius has been marketing

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Why? It's obviously a Photoshopped R! The R image came from Canon themselves as one of their press images.

View attachment 187722
I didn't write tell us more due to my incredible interest or wonder. I wrote it as in 'You think you're pretty clever' as in the Willy Wonka meme school of thought.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
I think the gap may be closer than Canon would like - Canon haven't brought out a higher end camera since the 5dmk4, and I wonder how many people have started trying other options in that time where nothing new was coming from Canon.

The z7 doesn't seem to have changed nikons fortunes as such, so a new high end Canon may not be the 'be all, end alll silver bullet' to Sony's rise.

The aggressive way Canon is developing incredible RF lenses that are way beyond anything Sony has even dreamed of or can do with the small mount will carry Canon through. Cameras come and go but great optics are far more difficult. Canon will have incredible camera bodies soon enough. Same pattern as the EF system that when completed totally dominated the market especially the pro market. I doubt they will just roll over and let Sony take the #1 spot without a fight. Nikon rolled over and quit by staying with the horribly antiquated flippy levers and whirly gears just to salvage the obsolete mount for "Legacy". when Canon destroyed them and they have never recovered, I doubt Canon will make the same mistake as Nikon did

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0