Rumoured Canon EOS Rs Specifications [CR1]

Feb 14, 2014
Not sure what is nonsense about it. SONY shooters are constantly telling us why they chose sony. Usually because sony have the DR that produces amazing images when crippled canon cant. Or that sonys 4k is the one and only thing that matters in the world. They clearly think these features will make them good whereas if they had a canon they would be failures. And i am not sure how i am bitter about that. I applaud Sony for milking that cash cow with what have (untill the a7r4) been sub par offerings. And the lack of appreciation of ergonomics by people who go from phones to FF is understandable so sony took 10 years to care about it because they didnt have to. Again. I applaud sony for being successful without the need to make good quality equipment. The focus on the spec sheet only at the cost of quality has been a smart move for them.
Don’t get caught up in fanboyism. Fanboys exist for all camera companies (plenty of Canon fanboys) and don’t represent the bulk of camera users.They tend to be more vocal online too and you could question how much photography they actually do.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Don’t get caught up in fanboyism. Fanboys exist for all camera companies (plenty of Canon fanboys) and don’t represent the bulk of camera users.They tend to be more vocal online too and you could question how much photography they actually do.
I think we all question the amount of actual photography done by the most vocal.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Just to be picky; The Good, The Bad & The Ugly was shot last but in the time line of the Trilogy it's the first. We see where Blonde gets his poncho and it's set in the American Civil war when Clint is using a percussion revolver converted to use metallic cartridges. In the other two he's using the Colt SAA introduced in 1873.

Great films and great musical scores.

Yes I got the reference and i don't think it's cause for anyone to get on their high horse with or without a Peacemaker :censored:

You just blew my mind. I had no idea.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
A Fistful of Dollars is a knock-off of Yojimbo by the iconic Japanese director Akira Kurosawa, who also directed the Seven Samurai, which was knocked off by the Magnificent Seven. Actually, the westerns are really good and as enjoyable as the original Japanese. But, the original Kurosawa are works of genius.
I own the both on blu ray. Watching them one after another is a revelation. Entire scenes are reproduced. Fortunately, Sergio Leone gave full credit to the originals - he didn’t try hide where the inspiration came from.

Jojimbo is fascinating, as it was inspired by American westerns. Beautiful cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Ah, looking on the wikipedia page, it has a comment how Minolta wasn't able to compete well against the 'Big Two of Canon and Nikon', so I thought the duopoly had been around for some time. It may have just been referring to the change to digital however?
I have no actual data about the causes of Minolta's decline, but Minolta could never establish itself as a camera system for pros, although they had a huge following of enthusiasts. Minolta was also over-investing (or at least so I thought) into the APS film fad.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I have no actual data about the causes of Minolta's decline, but Minolta could never establish itself as a camera system for pros, although they had a huge following of enthusiasts. Minolta was also over-investing (or at least so I thought) into the APS film fad.

Couldn't it be that subjective (emotional) reasons also played a part in Minolta's decline, just like Miranda's ?
It has often been said that Miranda didn't sound "manly" enough, like Minolta. Canon and Nikon seem to have better names. Of course, the Minolta XM/XK came a little late, and was far from being perfect...and no match for the F 2.
PS: I was for a very long time an enthusiastic Minolta user, until Nikon ads convinced silly me that a serious photographer had to buy a real tool...:rolleyes:
And then came Canon...

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
For those who like measurements and are interested in sensor resolution and how it is affected by f-number and AA-filter, here is a graph from https://www.optyczne.pl/324.4-Test_aparatu-Canon_EOS_5Ds_Rozdzielczość.html

And for those who are interested in how numbers map to real world images: one is 5DsR, one is 5Ds, one is 5Ds with very light sharpening. And I would bet good money that multiple scenes printed 48" and shuffled would leave anyone scratching their head as to which was which or if there was even more than one camera involved.

To each his own, but I decided a badge wasn't worth a couple extra hundred dollars.

Section-5.jpg

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
So many MP make sharp picture hard using hands.

Old rule, shutter 1/mm. Film rule.

75MP digital have more detail. Need new rule.

1/3*mm?

My gut says 1/2*mm will be enough (absent any form of IS which would improve the situation). Anyone with a 90D or M6.2 could test this since the pixel density would be similar.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
To each his own, but I decided a badge wasn't worth a couple extra hundred dollars.

View attachment 187752
I think your images are very much appreciated, but to make them more meaningful you should share the settings they were taken with. Especially aperture, since if these are taken at a DLA, it might be misleading to use these as demonstration.

Also, an image of something natural with a lot of detail, like a leaf or a bird feather may help more to show the difference, since printed text could also be limited by the printer's ability to produce detail.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I own the both on blu ray. Watching them one after another is a revelation. Entire scenes are reproduced. Fortunately, Sergio Leone gave full credit to the originals - he didn’t try hide where the inspiration came from.

Jojimbo is fascinating, as it was inspired by American westerns. Beautiful cycle.
Now you need to watch “the great escape”, followed by “chicken run”

• Haha
Upvote 0
My gut says 1/2*mm will be enough (absent any form of IS which would improve the situation). Anyone with a 90D or M6.2 could test this since the pixel density would be similar.
I can only use my phone atm but the first image seems to be the least sharp. #2 and #3 are almost the same in terms of the apparent sharpness, but this comparison is meaningless. Why wouldn't you also sharpen the 5DSr one? It would appear even sharper. If you're trying to prove that 5DS can catch up 5DSr by applying sharpening - no, the proof doesn't hold, because we can also apply the same amount of sharpening to 5DSr. You'll never catch up by using digital sharpening.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I'm a fanboy, and I do plenty of shooting.;)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
I can only use my phone atm but the first image seems to be the least sharp. #2 and #3 are almost the same in terms of the apparent sharpness, but this comparison is meaningless. Why wouldn't you also sharpen the 5DSr one? It would appear even sharper. If you're trying to prove that 5DS can catch up 5DSr by applying sharpening - no, the proof doesn't hold, because we can also apply the same amount of sharpening to 5DSr. You'll never catch up by using digital sharpening.

I guess dtaylor is demonstrating resolution, not sharpness.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
You are equating contrast and sharpening with resolution, but they are different

No I'm not. I have found there is no difference in what is resolved, only contrast and sharpness when comparing the un-sharpened 5Ds against the 5Dsr. In fact I think somewhere in Canon's original advertising of the 5Dsr it specifically states sharper images. Which is true - until you sharpen the 5Ds.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No I'm not. I have found there is no difference in what is resolved, only contrast and sharpness when comparing the un-sharpened 5Ds against the 5Dsr. In fact I think somewhere in Canon's original advertising of the 5Dsr it specifically states sharper images. Which is true - until you sharpen the 5Ds.
This is what Canon actually wrote for the 5DS vs 5DSR:
"The EOS 5DS R camera's LPF cancellation effect delivers greater sharpness and finer detail, useful in specialized situations" ..... "The EOS 5DS R is a specialized version that is intended for photographers looking to capture the maximum amount of detail possible"
So Canon claims and illustrates that the 5DSR has better sharpness and detail (= resolution), in contrast to what you find.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sporgon

CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
This is what Canon actually wrote for the 5DS vs 5DSR:

"The EOS 5DS R camera's LPF cancellation effect delivers greater sharpness and finer detail, useful in specialized situations" ..... "The EOS 5DS R is a specialized version that is intended for photographers looking to capture the maximum amount of detail possible"
Spot on - assuming both files are processed the same.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
well... I spent 4 grand on imac and same on laptop and I wish they were quicker... once you have such big files opened, not only ram plays part but the graphic card. switching between couple of pictures is a lot of juggling in terms of computer memory, it slows everything down. if you buy a new mac, do not save on the graphic card, go for the quickest that's available. those are the real problems if you want to have some life after a busy work
My 5K iMac is over four years old. I ordered it with the best graphics card and processor at the time, and I maxed out memory and the SSD. Nothing I’ve tried slows it down, including editing 4K video in FCP X. The only thing I wait for is when Compressor renders a batch of video.

Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
My 5K iMac is over four years old. I ordered it with the best graphics card and processor at the time, and I maxed out memory and the SSD. Nothing I’ve tried slows it down, including editing 4K video in FCP X. The only thing I wait for is when Compressor renders a batch of video.

True. Mine is 4 years old, and isn’t struggling one bit.

I’m really bad about having G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition System). And I keep looking at the new iMacs and specs then I feel silly because... well... mine is just fine. Absolutely NO way I can justify the expense.

Upvote 0