The Canon EOS R1 will come well before the EOS R5 Mark II [CR3]

drhuffman87

Eos R, RF24-105 F4L, RF85 F2, EF200 F2.8L II
Nov 5, 2020
www.drhuffmanphoto.com
Putting the latest rumors together we will receive a R1 with...

- no global shutter
- no 8k
- less than 45 MP

Honestly, that just doesn't sound right. If these three specs are true, it won´t be competing with the a1 (certainly not the A1mkii once it hits the shelves) or the a9mkiii.

IF it has GS, than no 8k and less than 45 MP is ok. If it has no GS, there should be a stacked 50 MP sensor imho. Otherwise, just use the R3 or R5 (not stacked of course)

Furthermore, it kind of sounds like the R3...

Something is definitely not right with these rumors...
This just in... Canon admits that the R3 actually is the R1, and sends R3 owners R1 stickers to place on their cameras.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
Very well might be true especially if the past history with the 3-series repeats itself. Moreover, if the R1 is the professional sports and journalism camera I suspect the R3 is a one and done. I do hope they keep the R1 as light as possible; I really like the weight of the R3.
Wedding photographers like Vanessa Joy shoot R5 during the ceremony plus outdoor portraits etc., then switch to the R3 + 28-70 f2 for the dances and evening entertainment, precisely because of the better low-light capability and AF speed. There is definitely a niche for the R3 or even an R3 II eventually.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Wedding photographers like Vanessa Joy shoot R5 during the ceremony plus outdoor portraits etc., then switch to the R3 + 28-70 f2 for the dances and evening entertainment, precisely because of the better low-light capability and AF speed. There is definitely a niche for the R3 or even an R3 II eventually.
Only if the R1 is a high MP camera. If the R1 has 24-32 MP I would consider the R3 and R1 too close unless there is some other key differentiator (that I cannot think of at the moment).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
Only if the R1 is a high MP camera. If the R1 has 24-32 MP I would consider the R3 and R1 too close unless there is some other key differentiator (that I cannot think of at the moment).
R3 uses SD card slot, whereas the R1 will likely have dual CF Express, this makes the R3 more compatible with the R6/R6II. This is relatively minor, however, the R3 can be bought now for 4399 euros and the new R1 will likely cost 6999 or more in Europe when new (could easily be a grand higher), so basically cost of R3 + R6II (less than 2 grand for body only now as grey market import).

Wedding photogs like shooting with dual strap harness etc., and the R3 is around 1 Kg (less than R5 + grip). The new R1 weight is not known, but will likely have more features than the R3 and may be a slightly larger form factor - could weigh something like 1.25 Kg (1DX III is 1.44 Kg). Again, we are guessing.

So really price, size and weight. Presumably R1 users will be using a single body, coupled with a long lens. Although many events/wedding pros did shoot with the 1DX in the past, some DSLR shooters probably still are. I still believe the R1 will have some unique feature, like shooting at 50 frames per second in burst mode, possibly something like fixed internal storage (mini NMVe type that could act like buffer expansion). Just as the R5 was marketed heavily as an 8K video camera (yes..everyone says that was a poor marketing tactic given the heat issues), the anticipated R1 will have something special...what?..no idea yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 13, 2023
Canon will spec the R1 based on their market research and surveys from their target market, whether that is pro sports and news photographers or some other category of enthusiasts. That is what they will respond to, not to Nikon, Sony or anyone else. If the specs are too similar to the specs of the R3, then they will probably choose to have the R3 be a one-off. Why does that concern so many folks here? Your R3 will still function. You really don't have to concern yourself with Canon's lineup decisions, do you?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sounds like Canon is giving up on even remotely trying to be the leader in the camera race. Nikon and Sony are laughing all the way to the bank with the thoughts of a 24mp R1 while they have nearly double that resolution in their flagships. Why even bother with an R1 if it will have the same basic specs as the R3? Personally, I'd like to see some more lens options if they're just going to waste our time with camera bodies that nobody wants.
I'm new to Canon. I can't imagine Canon releasing a flagship camera that sinks before it's cast off. The rumors have to be wrong. Maybe Canon is introducing a new feature that the competition doesn't have.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
man I was soooo hoping for an R5 mark II release during CP+.. what to do now.. R3 is a good camera but I want the option of a grip or no grip. should I jump for a R5?
It will most likely take 2-3 months after the announcement for a new body to actually ship to customers. So if you can’t wait that long, pick up a refurb or used R5 or R6II and plan to sell it after you have received the R5II.

Upvote 0

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
man I was soooo hoping for an R5 mark II release during CP+.. what to do now.. R3 is a good camera but I want the option of a grip or no grip. should I jump for a R5?
I would be reluctant to wait till the end of 2024, as koenkooi says, it will be 2 to 3 months after announcement before you may get your hands on an R5 II and if it launches this Aug/Sep, then that is basically the year gone. Personally, I am considering getting another one right now for 2650 euros (e-infin website so grey market from HK transshipped via France to me in Ireland). If a new firmware 2.0 for the R5 drops, then I would probably not wait, then upgrade to R5 II and sell an R5 mark 1. At current discounted R5 prices, how much can you lose? Perhaps 500 bucks?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I would be reluctant to wait till the end of 2024, as koenkooi says, it will be 2 to 3 months after announcement before you may get your hands on an R5 II and if it launches this Aug/Sep, then that is basically the year gone. Personally, I am considering getting another one right now for 2650 euros (e-infin website so grey market from HK transshipped via France to me in Ireland). If a new firmware 2.0 for the R5 drops, then I would probably not wait, then upgrade to R5 II and sell an R5 mark 1. At current discounted R5 prices, how much can you lose? Perhaps 500 bucks?
Those are some nice prices that importer. Let us know if you have a bad experience, because an RF50L at €1000 less is very tempting!

Upvote 0

DrD

Jun 11, 2021
Those are some nice prices that importer. Let us know if you have a bad experience, because an RF50L at €1000 less is very tempting!
I purchased my RF 50mm f1.2 L from there (Aug 2021), as well as my 15-35 (in 2022), 70-200 and 28-70 (both in 2023). All are great and registered with Canon. My R5 + grip + RF 24-105 + 3 x LP-E6NH came from another site (Panamoz) all for 4200 back in early-2021. Never had an issue with any Canon gear sourced from Hong Kong.

Upvote 0
I would love for Canon to release some DO telephoto lenses longer than 400 mm for us wildlife photographer. As I get older, I am starting to pay attention to these lighter lenses. The Nikon 800 mm PF f6.3 at 5.2 lbs and Nikon 400 mm f4.5 at 2.6 lbs have me jealous of Nikon users.
Pedantry but: the RF 600 and 800 f/11 lenses are DO longer than 400mm, no?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Canon will spec the R1 based on their market research and surveys from their target market, whether that is pro sports and news photographers or some other category of enthusiasts. That is what they will respond to, not to Nikon, Sony or anyone else. If the specs are too similar to the specs of the R3, then they will probably choose to have the R3 be a one-off. Why does that concern so many folks here? Your R3 will still function. You really don't have to concern yourself with Canon's lineup decisions, do you?
I agree with your first sentence but disagree with your second. The importance of the D3 introduction was that it instantly recalibrated what was possible and desirable in a professional camera. Until them, the APS-H 1D series had been winning that debate while Nikon's top pro model was the 12MP APS-C D2X. One interesting point, during the entire life of the 1D series, Canon never introduced an APS-H-specific wide angle zoom.

I see the EOS-M drama as also being instructive. I think the M mount was introduced in response to the Sony E-mount but the introduction was so anemic that camera store clerks were asking why Canon even bothered. Then Sony took the E-mount full frame and Canon had said they would never do that. Furthermore, sometime around 2014 or 2015, Canon may have learned what Nikon was going to do with the Z mount and the internal debate about the form of a Canon MILC came to a radically different conclusion. Canon could have then made the M-system a competitor for Fuji X and Olympus MFT, but the M-system was doomed.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I think the M mount was introduced in response to the Sony E-mount but the introduction was so anemic that camera store clerks were asking why Canon even bothered. Then Sony took the E-mount full frame…
Keep in mind that there’s a whole big world that exists outside of the United States. Domestically for Canon (and in most of the rest of the world), the M launch was a huge success.

Or do you think Sony’s shift in focus to full frame mirrorless a year later happened for some reason other than their concern over competition from the M line? Sony was right to be concerned, 5 years after launch the M line was the most popular mirrorless line, comprising ~17% of all ILCs sold.

The M line is now gone, having served its purpose, and Canon is the #1 brand in mirrorless as well as cameras overall.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I purchased my RF 50mm f1.2 L from there (Aug 2021), as well as my 15-35 (in 2022), 70-200 and 28-70 (both in 2023). All are great and registered with Canon. My R5 + grip + RF 24-105 + 3 x LP-E6NH came from another site (Panamoz) all for 4200 back in early-2021. Never had an issue with any Canon gear sourced from Hong Kong.
There's a difference which could matter: e-infin have a much more restrictive warranty policy (1 year, conditions) than Panamoz (3 years). The Panamoz website is much more informative ("about us", repairs, costs, custom duties, warranty) than e-infin. In short, they seem very reliable -confirmed by many testimonies- and, my impression, more serious than e-infin in case something goes wrong.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Keep in mind that there’s a whole big world that exists outside of the United States. Domestically for Canon (and in most of the rest of the world), the M launch was a huge success.

Or do you think Sony’s shift in focus to full frame mirrorless a year later happened for some reason other than their concern over competition from the M line? Sony was right to be concerned, 5 years after launch the M line was the most popular mirrorless line, comprising ~17% of all ILCs sold.

The M line is now gone, having served its purpose, and Canon is the #1 brand in mirrorless as well as cameras overall.
Canon has been the largest Japanese camera company since before 1970. (So the introduction of the original F-1 didn't surprise the editors of Modern Photography.) Canon has had enormous inertia for a very long time and management during that time hasn't been able to screw it up.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2023
I agree with your first sentence but disagree with your second. The importance of the D3 introduction was that it instantly recalibrated what was possible and desirable in a professional camera. Until them, the APS-H 1D series had been winning that debate while Nikon's top pro model was the 12MP APS-C D2X. One interesting point, during the entire life of the 1D series, Canon never introduced an APS-H-specific wide angle zoom.

I see the EOS-M drama as also being instructive. I think the M mount was introduced in response to the Sony E-mount but the introduction was so anemic that camera store clerks were asking why Canon even bothered. Then Sony took the E-mount full frame and Canon had said they would never do that. Furthermore, sometime around 2014 or 2015, Canon may have learned what Nikon was going to do with the Z mount and the internal debate about the form of a Canon MILC came to a radically different conclusion. Canon could have then made the M-system a competitor for Fuji X and Olympus MFT, but the M-system was doomed.
Canon need not respond to Nikon and Sony because, aside from MP count, the R3 already is the equal to anything Sony and Nikon have on the market right now, so presumably the R1 will be as well. Perhaps Canon will go 45 MP - we still have no idea, but past experience tells us that heir high MP model will be the R5 series. People seem to be so worried about the "flagships" - when all info seems to point to the fact that the flagships are the lowest selling cameras in the lineup.

Everything else you write is pure conjecture. You make Canon sound like they have no plan or program in place and just respond to their competitors. Since the planning time for cameras is in multiple years, this is just not likely. Canon has their philosophy of how a camera and camera system should function and they are not likely to be influenced by others, especially Sony, which clearly has a very different philosophy, in my opinion.

Upvote 0