What's Next From Canon, NAB and Beyond

tcmatthews said:
I have my bet on a Spring 2016 release of a 5d IV.

Nooooo! Mendoza!

screen-shot-2011-02-03-at-10.59.13-am.jpg

Please let it be the rumoured August 2015 announcement!

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
We haven’t heard anything definitive about what EOS camera would be coming next. The obvious choices are an EOS-1D X Mark II and an EOS 5D Mark IV.

The 1D X is the most amazing camera I have ever handled, and I will never forget the first serious shot I took with it. A "wow" moment. Can it be improved? Sure, but enough to make it a 1D X Mark II? Mmm, perhaps we should wait a little longer. Yes, I know they could improve this and that, make changes here and there, but are those tweaks enough for a Mark II?

Ironically, from a business perspective, I would never have bought a 1D X if the 1D C had been at the price it is today. I would have bought the 1D C.

I do both stills and video etc. but the 1D C was double the price of a 1D X at that time, and I never felt that the 1D C was worth double.

I have also wanted Canon to release a serious competitor to the Sony RX 100 or the RX 1, or even an action camera that competes with the GoPro 4 (Black or Silver).

Can they do this?

Upvote 0
Canon Rumors said:
I wish someone would say 35L :)

I wouldn't consider myself to be an obsessive Canon basher, but the lack of an update of the 35L (like 24L2) or the current 50mm lineup - including the stm - is pathetic. Imho it simply shows Canon isn't interested in their famed "system" if they don't see enough immediate return of invest for "updating" a lens.

Upvote 0
If they are planning a camera to take on the Arri Alexa it better not follow the lines of the C300 / C500. The Alexa works and been so successful because Arri worked on simplicity, a gradual roll-out of well executed firmware upgrades, recording upgrades and addressing open gate for anamorphic lenses something both Sony and Canon failed in.

Arri have some "surprises" themselves for NAB they will not give up the top spot in Cinematography easily and Canon have yet to have a track record at the top end of the market.

The C300 in particular has been successful at a certain level but that level is a few rungs down from the top.

Upvote 0
As one of the video-guys this rumour offer a little sliver of hope that Canon will finally do something good for the lower-end video market.

A C300 with 4k is just Canon trying to catch up, so that doesn't get me excited. The C500 and the proposed Arri Alexa styled camera is out of my league unless my boss decide that the news should look like feature films......

On the other hand it would be very interesting to see if Canon actually tries to make a GH4 competitor. A cool little multi-media camera with 4k could maybe convince me to use Canon for video again.

Upvote 0
You asked for an explanation of Canons mirrorless strategy.
Here is my guess:

Canon's mirrorless cool might be right after all.
The opposite is represented by a misleading and trashy rumor site which claims that Sony is aiming to become the king of cameras.
Sony's real ambition is to remain the world leading supplier of image sensors, not cameras or lenses.
Sonyalpharumors has in its ambition the earn provision on Sony sales misled the public to believe something else. The result is a large number of disappointed buyers with excellent but short run, experimental Sony cameras and unrealistic expectations.

The delay of the final, ultimate, mirrorless FF camera is caused by three factors:
1. Many photographers still prefer the clear, live view offered by an optical view finder.
2. Ultra fast PD auto focus also benefits from the above.
3. The ultimate mirrorless FF camera will have a flange distance between 22 and 26 mm which requires a full range of new, high resolution lenses and new lens mounts.

The emergence of a professional, FF mirrorless camera system will consequently take some time, giving both Canon and Nikon plenty of time to adjust to the shrinking reality of the dedicated, single purpose camera industry.

Upvote 0
Where to begin!?

Excited to see what they debut at NAB. Confused by their mirrorless strategy as well, but I still see a TON of Mom-tographers out there in the suburbs and they love running around with their "pro looking" DSLRs. Obviously this trend doesn't hold up in other countries, but it sure does here. I don't why that would preclude the offering of the M3 here, but I'd fathom Canon just picked one (the Rebels) over the other to stick with as a pure marketing decision.

YES! Please come up with a GH4 competitor (but FF please, like a7s). And the Rumor said ILC .... not MILC. So it is an Interchangeable Lens Camera, but not necessarily Mirrorless. Frankly, I'd rather not be mirrorless, or at least if it is mirrorless, make it the regular EF mount and not the M mount. I'd guess it's just a matter of distancing the sensor properly to match the depth of a normal DSLR. I just don't want to be stuck with M glass and sticking on adapters and so forth.

And there's no news on a 1DC replacement cuz there won't be one. Might have made sense 2-3 years ago but not now. A 1DX2 is the only thing that needs to occupy that price space with 4K firmware internally. A 1DC is nothing more than that anyway.

New C300? Uhh... Ok. Is it still gonna cost $15k or does Canon want to get serious and make it under $10k to compete with the popular Sony FS7? Or does the C100 get 4k this year and stay at $5000?

And I would LOVE to see what sort of cinema monster Canon comes up with to go against ARRI.

And Glass! Yes! the 24-70 IS f 2.8 L .... that would be THE perfect lens to release with a a 5D4 wedding camera in the summer.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Canon Rumors said:
I wish someone would say 35L :)

I wouldn't consider myself to be an obsessive Canon basher, but the lack of an update of the 35L (like 24L2) or the current 50mm lineup - including the stm - is pathetic. Imho it simply shows Canon isn't interested in their famed "system" if they don't see enough immediate return of invest for "updating" a lens.

The 35L is spectacular. It's never failed to impress me. The 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 are lousy and mediocre respectively. There is no pressing need to update the 35L in my opinion.

Upvote 0
I really wish Canon would put out a roadmap like Intel does. I'd like to know when the 5DIV and 6DII will be coming out. I was hoping they would be the ones released yesterday instead of the crippled 5Ds and stupid 5Dr.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
I really wish Canon would put out a roadmap like Intel does. I'd like to know when the 5DIV and 6DII will be coming out. I was hoping they would be the ones released yesterday instead of the crippled 5Ds and stupid 5Dr.
I think the fact that CPUs can be evaluated on a very few qualities, combined with Intel's market dominance, makes this possible. To give away that much market intelligence to competitors in the DSLR market would be a huge problem.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
I really wish Canon would put out a roadmap like Intel does. I'd like to know when the 5DIV and 6DII will be coming out.

Sonikon would like to know that, too :->.

My impression is that Canon doesn't have a roadmap, but rather tries to squeeze out as much $$$ from their current products until they're forced by the competition to do something about it. Sure enough they'll have the basic designs for 5d4 and 6d2 in the r&d pipeline, but there'll be a lot of last-minute shuffling around concerning exact release date and software/hardware features.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Lee Jay said:
I really wish Canon would put out a roadmap like Intel does. I'd like to know when the 5DIV and 6DII will be coming out.

My impression is that Canon doesn't have a roadmap, but rather tries to squeeze out as much $$$ from their current products until they're forced by the competition to do something about it. Sure enough they'll have the basic designs for 5d4 and 6d2 in the r&d pipeline, but there'll be a lot of last-minute shuffling around concerning exact release date and software/hardware features.
My take is similar: I think they work on options for different components on long lead times. They might drop a new sensor or AF system into an existing body and send it out with a small number of trusted people, but that's to test the new tech, not the system. About 12-18 months before expected release, they try to get a feel for the competition and market, and use that to fashion a small number of prototypes for wider use. I don't think they have a true roadmap, even internally.

This is pure speculation.

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:

Sure, but some snippets substantiates it a bit.

With the 6d, they had to rush to counter the Nikon d600, so they probably used a 11pt af system that they had in the drawer for the 5d3 before they trickled down the 1dx system instead. And the 6d actually can do 1/8000 (ML proved it), but the Canon firmware has a safeguard to immediately override it. The other way 'round, the 5d3 seems to have a gps connector on the board, but they didn't use it.

And of course there's Canon's favorite playground: Crippling the firmware. No ends of features that camera body x has, but not y - they can change this in the last minute before release.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Orangutan said:
With the 6d, they had to rush to counter the Nikon d600
In that case, You Go Nikon!

And the 6d actually can do 1/8000 (ML proved it), but the Canon firmware has a safeguard to immediately override it. The other way 'round, the 5d3 seems to have a gps connector on the board, but they didn't use it.

And of course there's Canon's favorite playground: Crippling the firmware. No ends of features that camera body x has, but not y - they can change this in the last minute before release.

Interesting, I'm not surprised.

Upvote 0
A 4K ILC at NAB screams of the 5D MK IV with 4K capability. Everyone always thinks Canon is going to do something revolutionary but they never do (3D anyone?). Canon likes evolutionary steps and a new 4K capable 5D would fit with an announcement at NAB.

Upvote 0
NAB is not really the place to launch the 5d MKIV even if it does have 4K its not a broadcast camera in the true sense of the word.
I would image Canon would want the focus on there Cinema EOS cameras & lenses otherwise it will dilute its focus.

Upvote 0
cosmopotter said:
A 4K ILC at NAB screams of the 5D MK IV with 4K capability. Everyone always thinks Canon is going to do something revolutionary but they never do (3D anyone?). Canon likes evolutionary steps and a new 4K capable 5D would fit with an announcement at NAB.

Rofl! Good laughs.

The 3D thing was never mentioned by Canon. It is a completely made up thing by people on here who translate their hopes into a rumored, but non-existant camera.

Second, did you miss the 5Ds and 5Ds R announcements? That's precisely what everyone was hoping a "3D" was. Now we have it. Now we still have tards like you complaining.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Marsu42 said:
Lee Jay said:

The impression I get from Sony Alpha Rumors is that Sony does have its own roadmaps that do get publicized.

Hmmm...if you run across one of those publicized roadmaps, please post a link.

Upvote 0